Wheel and Tire

Solution for WedsSport TC-105Ns - hub rings AND center caps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution for WedsSport TC-105Ns - hub rings AND center caps?

I'm probably going to be ordering 17x8 +38 TC-105Ns next week in fluorescent yellow from Evasive. I've been looking around for months, and haven't found many leads on being able to use both hubcentric rings AND some of their center caps. As a background, the Weds center caps that this model uses come from the inside out, so you can't use them with rings. Being that this car is my daily driver, I don't really want to deal with any possibility of any vibrations, so I think rings are really necessary.

On the other hand, I also hate the look of not having center caps on a DD. Now, on my 15" RPF01s, I've got the HD solution of using knock-out caps, and that works fine. My guess is that I'd have to do something similar with these rims. If anyone has found a solution, I'd be very happy to hear of it. I do know that the other Weds offerings use outside caps, and they actually do look better than the ones that are expressly for the TC-105Ns, and it may be possible to shave them down a bit and pop them in.

I'll be at Evasive next week, and will hope to see about options then. Stock bore is 64.1 and these are 73, so I doubt that I'd want to do them without the rings. BTW, there's a Gruppe S in the BRZ forums that is looking to develop a center cap/hubcentric ring combo that looks promising, but they are in a different size, and they're already saying that there are issues with doing them. But that's an interesting concept.

Thanks for any info!
Old 02-03-2016, 08:24 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: Solution for WedsSport TC-105Ns - hub rings AND center caps?

The only way you'd feel vibrations through the wheels, were if the lug seats were damaged/oblonged, or there was damage to the wheel itself making it run out of round. If you're looking to purchase brand new wheels, you should see none of these issues. In over 100 sets of wheels (only one set was brand new), I've only used one set of hubcentric rings... and those came with the wheels they were on.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Which is what most people say on the S2K forums (biggest forums with TC-105N use that I've found). Some do say that the rings smoothed out some vibrations that they had.

Guess I could always do the center caps and see if there are any vibrations. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by tommycrx
Which is what most people say on the S2K forums (biggest forums with TC-105N use that I've found). Some do say that the rings smoothed out some vibrations that they had.

Guess I could always do the center caps and see if there are any vibrations. Thanks for the info.
I think that's more placebo effect, then actual result... but I could be wrong.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, I think you're most likely right. It's the "most likely" part that is the trouble.

I'll try them with the center caps for a while and post back up what happened, since someone else may be in the same boat eventually.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL, to update this (if there's anyone who actually cares), have done two seasons now without hub rings and everything is fine. Even redid the powdercoat and got them rebalanced and no vibrations at all. So all is good.

And, since everyone likes pics, here's a pic of one of them. Note, though, that the color as I got from Evasive faded after the first summer/fall season, and I got them repowdercoated in neon yellow, which included three coats of clear, which Evasive's powdercoater obviously did not do. No fading at all since.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:33 PM
Sanji

Very nice turnout.