Wheel and Tire

Semi Slicks on Turbo Daily?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Semi Slicks on Turbo Daily?

Whats up fellas, I'm thinking about picking up Falkein Azenis but been having some mixed feedback. I live in New York and hearing the winter will ruin them, they'll only last 5k miles, terrible in rain. I currently have Kumho Ecsta and they spin to easily. I was only looking on just having the front two tires azenis or is that stupid since my back wheels have a ton of thread on them.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:30 AM
H-T Platinum Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Semi Slicks on Turbo Daily?

If you do end up doing that, do not try to run them in the winter. You will have zero traction on a semi slick in snow or ice, and even if it's dry and below 40 degrees F, you won't have much traction. You also run the risk of cracking the rubber if you drive summer tires in extreme cold conditions, regardless of road conditions.
The wet traction and hydroplaning resistance on semi slicks is very, very low in most cases, so if you want to run those on the front when it's dry and warm, you'll be in good shape, although we generally recommend using the same tire on all 4 corners. Any inclement weather will have you driving at significantly reduced speeds to retain control of the vehicle.
Depending on the weight of your right foot, 5k miles might not be too far off.
7101 Vorden Parkway
South Bend, IN 46628
Old 03-29-2016, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turk@TireRack
If you do end up doing that, do not try to run them in the winter. You will have zero traction on a semi slick in snow or ice, and even if it's dry and below 40 degrees F, you won't have much traction. You also run the risk of cracking the rubber if you drive summer tires in extreme cold conditions, regardless of road conditions.
The wet traction and hydroplaning resistance on semi slicks is very, very low in most cases, so if you want to run those on the front when it's dry and warm, you'll be in good shape, although we generally recommend using the same tire on all 4 corners. Any inclement weather will have you driving at significantly reduced speeds to retain control of the vehicle.
Depending on the weight of your right foot, 5k miles might not be too far off.
Ah man that doesn't seem worth it... I was looking at review for nitto neogen wheels and they've seen to have some good traction for the most part better reviews than my Kumhos
Old 03-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you looked into Toyo R888 I was considering going with those tires before I went with track setup on my car, so I no longer daily it.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Or even better the Direzza Ziis. Better tyre over the R888s. Either way, Nitto NeoGens is going backwards.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:24 PM
H-T Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Or even better the Direzza Ziis. Better tyre over the R888s. Either way, Nitto NeoGens is going backwards.
This is definitely true for streetability, I don't recommend the R888s for a DD. That's a track tire. The Direzza ZIIs are what I run on my EP3 for street and autocross.
7101 Vorden Parkway
South Bend, IN 46628
Old 03-29-2016, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turk@TireRack
This is definitely true for streetability, I don't recommend the R888s for a DD. That's a track tire. The Direzza ZIIs are what I run on my EP3 for street and autocross.
How many miles have you had the direzza for? And the traction with them? Do you notice a big difference from other tires?
Old 03-29-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Of course there's a difference. that's why I recommended them. I've had several of these series of tyres including your Kuhmo Ecstas for years.

I don't log miles, really, as my dash doesn't utilize an odometer. But I'll say they'll do just fine for one that has over 530whp available on a turbo Integra, for the last couple of years.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Of course there's a difference. that's why I recommended them. I've had several of these series of tyres including your Kuhmo Ecstas for years.

I don't log miles, really, as my dash doesn't utilize an odometer. But I'll say they'll do just fine for one that has over 530whp available on a turbo Integra, for the last couple of years.

Thanks dude, you've made my decision!
Old 03-30-2016, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

No statement of power was made, but Neogens would be a good tire if you need them in the snow too.