Wheel and Tire

running two performance tires on a FWD vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running two performance tires on a FWD vehicle

I have a turbo charged FWD vehicle with performance allseasons and (surprise, surprise) I am having traction issues under WOT. Unfortunately, I live in an area that gets a fair amount of snow in the winter so running summer tires year round just doesn't work. I also have very nice, expensive 17" rims that I like and want to keep on the car.

Here is my question:

If I bought two more rims and mounted performance summer tires on them while leaving the allseasons on the back, would there be any adverse handling issues under spirited driving in the summer?

I appreciate your replies.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:15 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: running two performance tires on a FWD vehicle (g_man1968)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g_man1968 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I bought two more rims and mounted performance summer tires on them while leaving the allseasons on the back, would there be any adverse handling issues under spirited driving in the summer?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Absolutely. That's a terrible idea. It will make the handling totally unpredictable. In warmer temperatures, the summer tires will grip much better, which will create more oversteer. In colder temperatures, the reverse will happen, which will create more understeer. Hit a puddle or a patch of ice and the handling can change again. It leaves you with very little idea on what your car is going to do, especially as conditions change.

If you live in an area that gets a lot of snow in winter, get a set of four matching winter tires to use in the winter. You can get relatively inexpensive ones, and if you don't have a second set of wheels, pick up a set of cheap steel wheels to mount them on. The rest of the year, use a set of four matching summer tires.

All-season tires are a compromise for people who need to run the same tires all year round. They don't have the grip of summer tires in moderate to warm temperatures (which is why you are having traction problems) and they aren't as good as true winter tires in snow and frigid cold (like you also experience). They're a good compromise for a family car in an area where winter is relatively mild, but not a good idea at all for a high-horsepower car like yours, in an area where winter is fairly harsh.