Wheel and Tire

offset ? 15x8 wheel on crx

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But heck, you don't need to believe either one of us. Call up the customer service number for your tire's manufacturer, and ask them what's safe. Also ask them whether their tire warranty is applicable if the tire is mounted on rims wider than stated in their specification of approved rim widths. See what they say, and let us know.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's like calling up the Honda dealer and asking them if you should turbo your integra. Of course they will say "no, its not safe, it wont work yada yada..."

The fact that its not recommended or illegal or whatever doesn't mean you cant do it and be fine (warranty aside)

Personally i think stretched tires look retarded but you cant argue with the 10s of thousands of people who have done this with no problems. It works fine as long as you do it correctly, just like boosting an integra.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's like calling up the Honda dealer and asking them if you should turbo your integra. Of course they will say "no, its not safe, it wont work yada yada..."

The fact that its not recommended or illegal or whatever doesn't mean you cant do it and be fine (warranty aside)

Personally i think stretched tires look retarded but you cant argue with the 10s of thousands of people who have done this with no problems. It works fine as long as you do it correctly, just like boosting an integra. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Risking the safety of one's engine and risking the safety of one's life (as well as others on the road) are two completely different things. So no, your comparison is not valid.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Freshazzburu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Freshazzburu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Risking the safety of one's engine and risking the safety of one's life are two completely different things. So no, your comparison is not valid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had 2 points;

First, that asking the manufacture what to do with their product will result in different answers than what can actually de done in the real world.

Second, that stretched tires have been used with no ill effects many many thousands of times. Is testing not a good way to prove a theory or product? Safe or not, a million people have tested stretched tires before with fine results.

Take safety out of the equation, pretend these cars are remote control, the ones with streched tires would still work.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:34 PM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stretched tires have been used with no ill effects many many thousands of times.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please tell us where you counted these occurrences. Also please tell us how many drivers encountered failures in their stretched tires, or were unable to have them mounted at all, and thus were not included in your counting.

I've known some people who accidentally downshifted at redline instead of upshifting, and (luckily) encountered "no ill effects". That does not mean that it is safe to do so (in this case, safe for the engine).

Just because some people get away with doing something stupid without harm, does not mean that it is safe.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Please tell us where you counted these occurrences. Also please tell us how many drivers encountered failures in their stretched tires, or were unable to have them mounted at all, and thus were not included in your counting.

I've known some people who accidentally downshifted at redline instead of upshifting, and (luckily) encountered "no ill effects". That does not mean that it is safe to do so (in this case, safe for the engine).

Just because some people get away with doing something stupid without harm, does not mean that it is safe.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just as you have no hard numbers proving a high failure rate, I have no numbers to prove a high reliability of stretched tires.

I agree with your last statement but, because of the widespread use of stretched tires I am led to believe that it works despite manufacturer recommendations.

In my mind its a lot like turboing an NA motor, lowering a car, plus sizing wheels etc... All these things are not looked upon as 'correct' or 'safe' by some groups but i think we can agree that if they are done with the appropriate knowledge and skill they can be safe and reliable. Maybe you dont follow European vehicles or the drift crap, but i am exposed to it and i see these stupid looking tire/wheel setups all the time and they work fine and i have yet to see any failures or problems with them...and trust me people in maine are not very innovative in the auto world so you can bet that for the 40 cars around here with them there are many many thousand more in other states and countries.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well lets put it this way i justed mounted up the other day for Team Falken on one of there drit cars(toyota) on saturday for the formula drift event 195-50r15 on a 15x9 panasport wheels.......they had us put 70psi in the tires for them so that the beads would not fail!!!!!!!!!! under extreme abuse so you tell me what is safe!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 10:34 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (vtecsi00)

im suprised a team sponsored by falken can't mount there own tires

Old 08-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboJesse)

wow, thats a pretty extreme stretch. Must have looked pretty stupid. Im surprised that they did it at all, that tire is probably supposed to be on a 7" max.

This would be the part where some knowledge of what works and is safe would come in.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:50 PM

it would be kind or hard for the bead of the tire to just pop off seeing that usually there is around 35-40 psi of air in the tire and hundreds of pounds or weight pressing the bead of the tire outward.
now i know everybody has their own opinion but i have mounted many and know plenty of people who have driven on and mounted "stretched" tires with no ill effects at all.
all you have to be worried about is curbing the crap out of your wheels. which you should be doing anyways.

as long as you keep proper air pressure in the tire you will be fine no matter what anybody says.

hell even tires that are the proper size for the rim fail every now and again.

but like i said before everybody has their own taste so if you like stretched tires go ahead and run them. expletive what other people think. and if you dont like them at least have the decency to respect anothers opinion.

but to the original poster. i have no experience putting this size wheel on a honda but i would say you would probobly need somewhere around a 25mm offset to have minimal poke of the wheel. depending on how much clearence with your suspension maybe even a higher offset

Old 08-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but how many sessions do the "drift" teams run on a single tire?
though it makes sense. Less Grip. that is what drifting is about. otherwise they'd be running r compounds or slicks.
but why would you wanna do that on the street? it's everyones choice though. if you want less grip then you're only a 195/50/15 away from it.

from VWvortex forum

why do stretched tires?
<U>- well the whole thing started in germany/belgium, local laws required that the tire tread be within the fender line. well that doesnt allow one to run wider or lower offset wheels, so they put narrower tires on the wheel to maintain legality</U>

but staggered wheels are stupid on fwd cars, arent you worried about handling?
-<U>its all about looks, you wont see anyone with low offset deep dish wheels flopping around the autox course.</U>

Modified by hybridmoments at 8:08 PM 8/21/2006
Old 08-21-2006, 07:05 PM

Default Re: (hybridmoments)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridmoments &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but how many sessions do the "drift" teams run on a single tire?
though it makes sense. Less Grip. that is what drifting is about. otherwise they'd be running r compounds or slicks.
but why would you wanna do that on the street? it's everyones choice though. if you want less grip then you're only a 195/50/15 away from it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
how is it less grip if that is the tire size he would run on a 15x7
your not losing any contact patch by stretching the tire
Old 08-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wannabe_si)

where did i say the rim size affected grip? i said tire size/contact patch does. though i would be interested to see that stretching a tire that much wouldn't effect or deform the rest of the tire? at the same running psi at least. it's like strectching anything. for instance metal. if you move something in one area, most likely it's going to warp or effect the dimensions of anything connected to it.

my point is.
1. anything 15x8 or larger is a pretty expensive wheel $250 plus
beside some 15x8 rota slipstreams, almost everything else is a custom wheel, 3 piece, or german/euro or japanese brand. i.e. Work equip, ATS, Brock, Keskin, Schmidt, RH

so basically very overprice and extremely heavy rims. and cheap shitty tires.

but it's not my money. i come from an autox and racing background, so i guess i just am not seeing the benefit of this. besides looks that is.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:19 PM

that is true
thats why i have 2 sets of wheels

one set for show and one set for go
Old 08-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i totally agree with you there.
i'm talking about rocking those all the time and on the street
Old 08-21-2006, 07:22 PM

yeah
but generally to pull off the stretched look you have to be so low that good handling is thrown out the window at that point
Old 08-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like to drive on the street. it would drive me freaking crazy watching out for every tiny pot hole trying to keep from bending a $400 rim.

just like i don't rock my r compounds on the street that stick out 2" from my fenders. though mostly cause i don't have $600 to spend a month replacing worn out tires.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the guys at falken don't mount there own tires the sponsors do like Sears and Discount Tire do....they take turns mounting tires....RJ who drives the mustang for Team Falken runs either the 275/35r18 or the 295/40r18 falken 615's.....each driver for team Falken has three sets of tires for the compettition....okubo's skyline is sponsored by bfgoodrich and was running KDw NT... the tires last about one or two laps around on the rears....tires on front don't hardly get changed...
Old 09-01-2006, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HYBRIDMOMENTS - You dont understand drifting

The drift boys over here, use cutslick type tyres, R888's etc

You want a lot of grip, just the ability to lose the grip when you WANT TO..

Old 09-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Screaming Vtec)

the guys on the track primarily use the tires that they are sponsored from...
the skyline that won the event was using kdw nt and the r unner up was using falken 615 and some of the other drivers were using hankook rs2....i understand the whole grip thing.........i was surprised and what i was mounting up for team falken.......
Old 01-19-2008, 03:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default bumping old thread

I had customers wonder why they had a perfectly clean cut around the sidewall where their tread meets the sidewall when they mounted 255/40/17 tires onto an 8" wide wheel because "everybody on the forum does it."

I know this example is the flip side of whats being discussed here, but any sane person should take into consideration the wheel manufacturer's specifications as far as what size wheels to put on a given tire.

Another more relevant example is when I was behind an AE86 at the mountain who had stretched tires and every time he made a left turn his inside lip would spark on the asphalt... no way in hell that can be good for handling etc.