Wheel and Tire

Honda TPMS Question

Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Shenanigans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Honda TPMS Question

thats what im refering to, the computer is programmed to read that vehicles 4 or 5 specific sensors. if you switch to other sensors, not just changing out the ferrule nuts and washers which utilize the same sensor, dont the new sensors need to be registered to the computer? That was the ops original question and it seems like some people were confused between relearning sensors which is done after a tire is removed or replacing the sensor which is done if they were to break.

I know many other makes need to have their sensors reprogrammed into the computer so im asking does honda? and if they dont whats to keep them from false reading another vehicles sensor as opposed to another vehicles sensor that was put on their vehicles wheel as in the ops case, how would the computer differentiate the two?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Shenanigans

now im confused about what your reffering to. you first mentioned
Correct. Vehicle will automatically learn new tire pressure sensors after driving for several minutes above 15mph.
but then said
Originally Posted by Cooper The Tire Rack
New sensors must be initialized by dealer. If you want to install your existing sensors on new wheels, we sell the TPMS replacement kit which includes new cores, valves, grommets, seals, etc. and it is is certainly an inexpensive way to go about it in comparison to buying new sensors.
now in the op case he is switching to sensors from a different vehicle to his...so they need to be programmed correct?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:15 PM

Let us clarify some things, since there seems to be some confusion.

Honda, in its infinite wisdom, chose to have some vehicles auto-learn their sensors and others needing an OBDII scan tool. They could have made all of them auto-learn, but I'm guessing they wanted some of that extra revenue... In addition, auto-learn systems are more costly, so in order to cut corners, they made some cars auto-learn, others don't. So it really depends what vehicle you drive.

As far as sensors interchangeability -- for example, used sensors from a Honda Pilot being used on another Honda Pilot:

- For starters, you should ALWAYS use new TPMS replacement parts to prevent leaks. There's just no way around it.

- You have to be careful with which year/model the sensors are coming from to make sure your car uses the same sensors, even if you're using, say, Pilot wheels and sensors into another Pilot.
For instance, the 2005-2008 Honda Pilot uses S033 sensors, and the 2009-2010 Pilot uses S004 sensors, and they are not interchangeable.

- As for the way onboard systems 'learn' and communicate with sensors: Think of the sensor as a digital ruler. All it does is measure and transmit the measurements by radio frequency. It does not know what vehicle it is on, nor does it store data from the previous vehicle. All it does it read the pressure around itself, and send the pressure reading to the onboard computer.

I can check sensor fitment, interchangeability, and initialization process for anyone who has any questions. Just shoot me an e-mail at cooper@tirerack.com and I'll look it up for you.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cooper The Tire Rack
Let us clarify some things, since there seems to be some confusion.

Honda, in its infinite wisdom, chose to have some vehicles auto-learn their sensors and others needing an OBDII scan tool. They could have made all of them auto-learn, but I'm guessing they wanted some of that extra revenue... In addition, auto-learn systems are more costly, so in order to cut corners, they made some cars auto-learn, others don't. So it really depends what vehicle you drive.

- As for the way onboard systems 'learn' and communicate with sensors: Think of the sensor as a digital ruler. All it does is measure and transmit the measurements by radio frequency. It does not know what vehicle it is on, nor does it store data from the previous vehicle. All it does it read the pressure around itself, and send the pressure reading to the onboard computer.
Those two staments seem to contradict each other.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by H22Ej1
thats what im refering to, the computer is programmed to read that vehicles 4 or 5 specific sensors. if you switch to other sensors, not just changing out the ferrule nuts and washers which utilize the same sensor, dont the new sensors need to be registered to the computer? That was the ops original question and it seems like some people were confused between relearning sensors which is done after a tire is removed or replacing the sensor which is done if they were to break.

I know many other makes need to have their sensors reprogrammed into the computer so im asking does honda? and if they dont whats to keep them from false reading another vehicles sensor as opposed to another vehicles sensor that was put on their vehicles wheel as in the ops case, how would the computer differentiate the two?
Good question. Hondas system description:

* Each tire pressure sensor has its own ID to prevent jamming by similar systems on other vehicles. After memorizing all the sensor IDs, the control unit receives only those specific signals.
* An ID can be memorized manually or automatically. Each initiator is hardwired to the control unit. Every time the ignition is turned ON (II), the control unit asks each initiator for a sensor ID. The initiators then transmit the sensor IDs, and the control unit receives and memorizes them. The control unit then knows which ID belongs to each tire location. This recurring ID confirmation prevents any confusion in the system as a result of normal tire rotation.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Trial User

My local Honda dealership told me that I need to visit them each tire change-over in the Fall and Spring to reset the TPMS sensors from my Winter wheels to my Summer wheels and vice versa. After two seasons, I decided that I was getting no value from TPMS as I check tire pressure regularly. Now, I just change the wheels and I try to ignore the annoying dashboard 'TPMS' light that is always on. At least I save $50 twice a year.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some tire shops will relearn your sensors for free. Ask around.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Trial User

Hi:

My daughters 2008 civic lx coupe has new rims tires (tire rack). US vehicle. sensors are for the civic installed by tirerack (new).

When I put the sensors into the ECU using the OBD-II port using my ATEQ VT30 and TPMS reset tool, it did not shut off the TPMS warning light on the dash.

I let air out of the tires (20psi) drove for a few miles came home and set them back to 34PSI and drove again. Now the TPMS horseshoe light is out however the tpms light came on solid. I drove for about 10 mins at highway speeds...stayed on.

What else might be going on? What to try next?

thx.
W. Mackenzie

Solved. Issue with ATEQ tpms reset and sensor id on the civic is that you have to enter the value in decimal into the application.

go figure...

Last edited by toyomatt84; 04-17-2013 at 04:19 PM.