Wheel and Tire

Honda TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:05 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Question

I am replacing my 05 Pilot wheels (due to curb rash) with OEM wheels from another Pilot and using the other vehicles TPMS sensors. Do I need to relearn those sensors?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: TPMS Question

yes.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
yes.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes and only the dealer has the tool to reset it. If you're thinking doing it more than once than I would recommend invest in one of these:

http://www.revolutionsupply.com/quickset.aspx
Old 11-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Just_LS
Yes and only the dealer has the tool to reset it. If you're thinking doing it more than once than I would recommend invest in one of these:

http://www.revolutionsupply.com/quickset.aspx
Misinformation FTL. To relearn the tpms sensors all you have to do is drive the vehicle over 15mph nonstop for 40 seconds.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:54 PM

Misinformation FTL. To relearn the tpms sensors all you have to do is drive the vehicle over 15mph nonstop for 40 seconds.
Correct. Vehicle will automatically learn new tire pressure sensors after driving for several minutes above 15mph.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda TPMS Question

Only the dealer can "relearn" the tpms sensors if they are replaced or swapped from another vehicle. It will automatically sense tire PSI changes
Old 11-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If he's using a new/used set of sensors, I was told ON MOST JAPANESE CARS only the dealer can make the car learn the new sensors or to purchase the Quickset tool. Am I wrong?
Old 11-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just take you old sensors off and bolt them up to the new wheels. Don't mix them up if you put the new sensors on you will have to the relearn process at the dealer.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pgpbubble
Only the dealer can "relearn" the tpms sensors if they are replaced or swapped from another vehicle. It will automatically sense tire PSI changes
Again misinfo. The HDS is not required to relearn the tpms sensors
Old 11-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DCFIVER and Cooper The Tire Rack, both of you keep saying "Vehicle will automatically learn new tire pressure sensors after driving for several minutes above 15mph." Below is a straight cut and paste from Tirerack on their ATEQ VT10 tool:

"Additionally, the following vehicles need their sensors registered at the dealership unless an OBDII tool is also used to put the vehicle into TPMS learn mode and search for the new sensors:

Chrysler Crossfire
Dodge SRT10 Viper
Honda
Hyundai
Infiniti
Kia
Lexus
Mitsubishi
Nissan
Saab 9-3, 9-5
Saturn Astra
Scion
Subaru
Suzuki
Toyota

Refer to the vehicle's owner's manual for detailed information on a vehicle's tire pressure monitoring system."

Please tell us if that is mis-information also.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Again misinfo. The HDS is not required to relearn the tpms sensors
I guess working for honda for 2 years proved me wrong then right? You simply cannot swap a new sensor on the car and expect the car to "relearn" the new sensor by its self.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pgpbubble
I guess working for honda for 2 years proved me wrong then right? You simply cannot swap a new sensor on the car and expect the car to "relearn" the new sensor by its self.
OOOOOO 2 years!!! Cant argue with that experience. How many oil changes have you done in that time?? LOL. Why dont you crack open the service manual for the '05 pilot and see what it says. Better yet log into ISIS and look for the Service News article # 050205 which pertains to relearning the tpms sensors on the 05 Odyssey and 05 Pilot. They say you only have to drive it over 10 mph to relearn. Noob!!
Old 11-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New wheels same sensors=no relearn.. New wheels new sensors=relearn via OEM tools or a Bartech tool.. I personally prefer the Bartech..
Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok with more research OP needs to let us know whether he has a Touring model or not. Apparently Honda decided since someone is willing to fork over big bucks for the Touring they don't need to buy the OBDII tool to reset the TPMS, OP can just do what DCFIVER says. BUT if OP's Pilot is not Touring then he needs to fork over $$ to have them reset either by the dealer (one time) or get the scan tool.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:18 AM

DCFIVER and Cooper The Tire Rack, both of you keep saying "Vehicle will automatically learn new tire pressure sensors after driving for several minutes above 15mph."
I contacted Scott Larkin, who's our TPMS guru -- the guy lives and breathes TPMS. I posed the question, "If a customer is swapping wheels with sensors between 2 Honda Pilots, does the system 'relearn' the 'new' sensors just as it would a new one, or does the dealership need to get involved?"

His answer was, "All Honda Pilots learns their sensors just by driving for 10-15 minutes. No need to visit the dealer."

I hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude you don't have to take it to the dealer to relearn,Just drive it over 15 mph for a while.I did the same thing with my mom's old odyssey.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:32 AM
New User

I just depaxed my 07 Ody Touring and learned too late that tpms on the 09 Pilot wheels are incompatible. I can get a set of used sensors from another Ody Touring, but I've seen conflicting views on whether they will reset on their own. On another forum someone insisted they will, even if taken from another vehicle, but then I saw this thread w Honda techiies saying all need to be relearned at the dealer. Anyone ??

And Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:45 AM

The Touring model is a whole different ballgame. They have their own sensors -- one that is not used in most Honda vehicles -- so more than likely if you take the sensors from just any other Honda vehicle, it won't work.

Now, if you take the sensors off an Odyseey of same vintage, I don't see why it wouldn't fit.

I'm glad you de-PAXed your vehicle. Those things are a pain...
Old 11-29-2009, 09:58 AM

Cooper,

Picking up a set of S2000 wheels with TPMS for winter. Do S2000s relearn by driving?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:20 AM

Coopmike,

Assuming you have a 2008 S2000, those have to be initialized by the dealer. We do offer a Quickset tool that will reprogram them, but other than that, the dealer will have to work on the sensors to get them going.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How about a 2008 Civic Si? Would the dealership have to get involve as well if I use new sensors instead of installing my old ones onto new wheels?
Old 11-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Shenanigans

if these honda sensor tpms computer self registers new tpms sensors whats to keep it from false registering sensors from other vehicles?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by DTN107
How about a 2008 Civic Si? Would the dealership have to get involve as well if I use new sensors instead of installing my old ones onto new wheels?
New sensors must be initialized by dealer. If you want to install your existing sensors on new wheels, we sell the TPMS replacement kit which includes new cores, valves, grommets, seals, etc. and it is is certainly an inexpensive way to go about it in comparison to buying new sensors.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by H22Ej1
if these honda sensor tpms computer self registers new tpms sensors whats to keep it from false registering sensors from other vehicles?
You mean, from other vehicles driving next to it?

The onboard computer is design to receive frequencies from a specific sensor. So, if there's a BMW driving next to you when you're trying to initialize the sensors, there's no risk that it will pick up radio frequencies from the BMW.

Quick Reply: Honda TPMS Question