Wheel and Tire

Cheapest place/website to buy tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cheapest place/website to buy tires

I've checked out vulcantires.com and they seem to have the best prices on tires. Planning of buying the ES100 or the parada spec 2. Now I don't have any experiences wth both of these tires, I've read that they're noisy but are they that annoying? I've had falken azenis before and just want to try something new
Old 09-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Cheapest place/website to buy tires (BrokeAssPinoy)

What size are you looking for?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:32 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cheapest place/website to buy tires (chowmien)

Check the Tire Rack and Discount Tire to compare prices before buying. Make sure you calculate your total including shipping and sales tax. The Tire Rack and Vulcan Tire won't apply sales tax to your order, but Discount Tire will (I think it's 9 percent if you're in the Chicago city limits). Discount Tire currently offers free shipping. Last time I had tires shipped from the Tire Rack, shipping was around $7 per tire (remember, they're only 100 miles away, so shipping is less than from elsewhere). They also usually arrive next day, since they're so close to here.

Here is an example, assuming a set of four Yokohama ES100 tires in 195/50-15:

Tire Rack: four tires @ $59 plus $7 shipping plus $0 tax = $264
Discount Tire: four tires @ $63 plus $0 shipping plus 9 percent tax = $275
Vulcan Tire: four tires @ $55 plus $12 shipping plus $0 tax = $268

As you can see, when you take shipping and sales tax into account, the Tire Rack is the cheapest.

The Yokohama ES100 is a MUCH better tire than the Parada 2. I haven't had any problems with noise, but a few other people have.

What, exactly, are you looking for? What size? How important is performance (grip) vs. price vs. treadlife, etc? The reason I ask is that the Falken Azenis is a super grippy tire, whereas the ES100 is just okay; but the ES100 is better in the wet, lasts about three times longer, and is cheaper. If you're looking for a very grippy tire like the Azenis, you might be disappointed in the ES100. There are other tires that offer more grip (although they tend to be a bit more expensive than the ES100); in particular, if you're using 195/50-15, there is an awesome deal right now on the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, which is about the best street tire on the planet. Tell us what kind of car you have and what size wheels, and we can make a recommendation for you.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Cheapest place/website to buy tires (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chowmien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What size are you looking for?</TD></TR></TABLE>
195/50/15
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the Tire Rack and Discount Tire to compare prices before buying. Make sure you calculate your total including shipping and sales tax. The Tire Rack and Vulcan Tire won't apply sales tax to your order, but Discount Tire will (I think it's 9 percent if you're in the Chicago city limits). Discount Tire currently offers free shipping. Last time I had tires shipped from the Tire Rack, shipping was around $7 per tire (remember, they're only 100 miles away, so shipping is less than from elsewhere). They also usually arrive next day, since they're so close to here.

Here is an example, assuming a set of four Yokohama ES100 tires in 195/50-15:

Tire Rack: four tires @ $59 plus $7 shipping plus $0 tax = $264
Discount Tire: four tires @ $63 plus $0 shipping plus 9 percent tax = $275
Vulcan Tire: four tires @ $55 plus $12 shipping plus $0 tax = $268

As you can see, when you take shipping and sales tax into account, the Tire Rack is the cheapest.

The Yokohama ES100 is a MUCH better tire than the Parada 2. I haven't had any problems with noise, but a few other people have.

What, exactly, are you looking for? What size? How important is performance (grip) vs. price vs. treadlife, etc? The reason I ask is that the Falken Azenis is a super grippy tire, whereas the ES100 is just okay; but the ES100 is better in the wet, lasts about three times longer, and is cheaper. If you're looking for a very grippy tire like the Azenis, you might be disappointed in the ES100. There are other tires that offer more grip (although they tend to be a bit more expensive than the ES100); in particular, if you're using 195/50-15, there is an awesome deal right now on the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, which is about the best street tire on the planet. Tell us what kind of car you have and what size wheels, and we can make a recommendation for you.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks a bunch, that's exactly the kind of response I was looking for-taxes, shipping, and price itself all put into account. The ES100 is exactly the tire I'm looking for the 195/50/15 so you got the size down to the mark as well. I've read a lot of people complain about the noise but I guess thats due to the silica compound. If I can handle the noise of my exhaust then road noise shouldn't bug me a bit.
These tires would be my daily-driven summer tires. I don't peel off or show off on the road and I only bring my car once anually to the tracks.

BTW I'm from Chicago as well so it would be better if I can pick one up locally.

Modified by BrokeAssPinoy at 12:16 PM 9/24/2005
Old 09-24-2005, 10:09 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Cheapest place/website to buy tires (BrokeAssPinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssPinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The ES100 is exactly the tire I'm looking for the 195/50/15 so you got the size down to the mark as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Popular size, popular tire. The ES100 is the class leader in the budget performance segment.

However, don't ignore other tires. For example, the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 is probably the very best street tire on the market today. (If you look at user ratings on the Tire Rack website, you will see that it is ranked the number 1 tire out of 23 top-of-the-line tires, beating such worthy tires as the Bridgestone S-03, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, etc.) The 195/50-15 size is normally $83 per tire, which is considerably more than the ES100. But through October 8, the Tire Rack has a deal where you get a $75 gas card when you buy a set of four. So that means what you're actually paying is $64 a tire - a much better tire than the ES100 for almost the same price. Nothing wrong with the ES100 (hey, I use them myself), just that right now this is an awesome deal that's also worth considering.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssPinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW I'm from Chicago as well so it would be better if I can pick one up locally.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check your local tire dealer(s). In addition to the price of the tires, sales tax, and shipping, throw in the cost of mounting/balancing. Keep in mind that the Tire Rack has a network of thousands of tire installers across the country. With most of these, you usually have the option of either (a) ordering the tires yourself and having them shipped to the installer for mounting, or (b) buying the tires directly from their installer. (Many of the installers are happy to sell the tires to you at the same prices as the Tire Rack sells them to consumers.) If you order the tires yourself, you pay shipping but not sales tax; if you buy the tires from the installer (or any other dealer), you pay sales tax but not shipping. 9 percent sales tax is likely to be less than shipping costs. Mounting costs can vary tremendously (anywhere from $10 to $30 per tire, although you really shouldn't have to pay more than $20).

My suggestion is that you look up the Tire Rack's recommended installers in your area on their website (click here), check their prices for mounting/balancing, and if you find a place that's convenient to you whose mounting prices are reasonable, call them and tell them what you need. Ask them if you should order the tires from Tire Rack yourself, or if they will sell them directly to you at the Tire Rack prices. Oh, and of course feel free to compare their prices with other tire retailers in your area who are not among the Tire Rack's installers, and feel free to let them know the Tire Rack price for your preferred tire, too. (You can look up Yokohama tire dealers in the phone book or on Yokohama's website here).

Good luck.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want some more performance, http://www.onlinetires.com still has the Toyo Proxes T1-R in 195/50/15 on sale for $240 and shipping. These are a step up in performance over the ES100's (yes nsxtasy you've informed me very well ). I might be whoring out the site, but I'm just trying to let everyone know about the deal
Old 09-24-2005, 12:31 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Cheapest place/website to buy tires (chowmien)

The Toyo T1-R is a good tire and that's a good deal. But the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 is an even better deal - it offers even better performance than the Toyo, for roughly the same price, thanks to the $75 gas card deal. Also, onlinetires.com ships from a warehouse in California, which means shipping costs to Chicago are likely to be higher than for the Tire Rack (which has warehouses in Indiana, Nevada, and Delaware). Oh, and customers in California are going to have to pay sales tax as well as shipping if they buy from onlinetires.com

If you want the very best tire in that price range, get the Goodyear F1 GS-D3. The $75 gas card deal only runs through October 8 though.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:40 PM

Just placed my order on Goodyear F1 GS-D3... the 75 bucks gas card got me convinced