Wheel and Tire

brake upgrade to fit large wheels?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake upgrade to fit large wheels?

Not sure if this should be in Brakes or Wheel and Tire.

Anyways, I have 16x8 rota grid offroads for my 01 Integra. The main issue was dealing with the large difference in hub-bore (56.1mm vs. 73mm), as the inside of the wheel was hitting the brake caliper bracket in the front.

Cheapest solution: bought 15mm spacers for the front to clear brake caliper bracket.

However this makes the wheel sit too far out in comparison to the rear wheels, which have no problem. I've seen ITRs with these wheels and it looks like they don't have this problem. So would a larger rotor (which is what I assume is the main difference) help clear the wheels?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: brake upgrade to fit large wheels?

Originally Posted by Killa Vanilla
Not sure if this should be in Brakes or Wheel and Tire.

Anyways, I have 16x8 rota grid offroads for my 01 Integra. The main issue was dealing with the large difference in hub-bore (56.1mm vs. 73mm), as the inside of the wheel was hitting the brake caliper bracket in the front.

Cheapest solution: bought 15mm spacers for the front to clear brake caliper bracket.

However this makes the wheel sit too far out in comparison to the rear wheels, which have no problem. I've seen ITRs with these wheels and it looks like they don't have this problem. So would a larger rotor (which is what I assume is the main difference) help clear the wheels?
Hub bore really has nothing to do with brake clearance. The hub bore is the diameter of the wheel's hub itself. It's a measurement that fits inside the lug studs, if you need a visual reference. Caliper clearance has everything to do with what brake calipers you have and their location over the rotors, and what backspacing your wheels provide.

Rota Grid Offroad wheels are designed for vehicles that have higher offset brake calipers, typically found on rear wheel drive cars. They have very little backspace clearance and thus are the cause of your clearance issues. You should consider buying a wheel designed for front wheel drive cars, where the backspace clearance is much greater.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
Hub bore really has nothing to do with brake clearance. The hub bore is the diameter of the wheel's hub itself. It's a measurement that fits inside the lug studs, if you need a visual reference. Caliper clearance has everything to do with what brake calipers you have and their location over the rotors, and what backspacing your wheels provide.

Rota Grid Offroad wheels are designed for vehicles that have higher offset brake calipers, typically found on rear wheel drive cars. They have very little backspace clearance and thus are the cause of your clearance issues. You should consider buying a wheel designed for front wheel drive cars, where the backspace clearance is much greater.
Yea, i may consider in the future but i wanna try n make these work better for now. So by higher offset brake calipers you mean distance between hub and caliper/caliper bracket?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Sanji

Yea, i may consider in the future but i wanna try n make these work better for now. So by higher offset brake calipers you mean distance between hub and caliper/caliper bracket?
In order to run a caliper that is higher offset to the mounting surface of your hubs, you'd have to either find a narrower caliper or use a different knuckle. There really is no way to do this without down-scaling brakes for the car to something from a smaller chassis (ex. going from DC2 brakes to EG VX brakes). This is extremely unsafe, and I'd highly suggest ditching the wheels before ever contemplating down-scaling brakes.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I would never downgrade safety to fit these wheels better. However, so I'm curious about what this guy did:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...9#post38814529

I think on the next page of that thread he says he has upgraded front brakes but is not specific.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Sanji

Yea I would never downgrade safety to fit these wheels better. However, so I'm curious about what this guy did:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...9#post38814529

I think on the next page of that thread he says he has upgraded front brakes but is not specific.
He stated that he has a 12" big brake kit. With the way that the spokes are designed, I can see how that might be a possibility, but I'd ask him directly about it. Either way, upgrading brakes to fit a certain wheel seems a bit backwards to me.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I admit this was a big trial & error project, because not too many people have info about these wheels. Slowly learning from constant research and mistakes. Thanks though.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much offset are the rims?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicBlacksheep
How much offset are the rims?
+20