Wheel and Tire

Air leaking at clip-on wheel weight: can I replace with adhesive weight at home?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air leaking at clip-on wheel weight: can I replace with adhesive weight at home?

Or do I need to take it to a shop to have them rebalance the tire with adhesive weights?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:06 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: Air leaking at clip-on wheel weight: can I replace with adhesive weight at home?

If air is leaking at that point, you'll need to clean the mounting surface. If you can dismount the tire at home, clean the barrel, then remount the tire and balance it at home... then you should be fine.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air leaking at clip-on wheel weight: can I replace with adhesive weight at home?

Assuming that taking the clip on weight off will stop the leak, my question is can i put an adhesive weight on the same area but inside the rim or does it require precision of using a tire balancing machine.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:06 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GleepGlop
Assuming that taking the clip on weight off will stop the leak, my question is can i put an adhesive weight on the same area but inside the rim or does it require precision of using a tire balancing machine.
Oh, yeah, it'll need a balancing machine. And, to be honest, I doubt removing the clip-on weight will eliminate the leak.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The leak is because of corrosion on the rim flange/ where the tire bead seats and is supposed to seal your tire. It may be pushed back slightly by a hammer on weight but it's leaking because of corrosion. Go to a tire shop and ask for a re-seal and re-balance. If you don't have a tire machine and a balancer, no you can not fix this at home. Make sure they use a quality 'bead sealer' after grinding/cleaning your rim flanges otherwise it'll corrode again sooner and do it all over again.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The clip on weight alone won't cause a leak, as otherwise all cars would have leaked air like no tomorrow. You have a different problem and it is just a coincidence that it is leaking at the weight. Unless of course someone put a truck weight on your car. Go to a shop as this is not the type of work one easily DIY in the driveway.