Notices

turbo placement while trying to make a manifold jig

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo placement while trying to make a manifold jig

i'm about to start building my manifold but first am trying to make a bit of a jig to hold the collector exactly where i want it. how do you guys hold the turbo or even collector in place while trying to mock a jig up. i'm thinking having a friend hold the turbo or collector in place for 2-3 hours isn't going to fly, so what do you guys use. i don't really have too much room to play so i want to be damn close so that when i build it on the bench with my spare head the collector will be sitting exact in the jig

i was thinking about hanging the turbo from a chain attatched to the ceiling to support the weight and get the height and then making a little bracket off the cylinder block to the turbo, to position it exact. this idea seems kind of rough though so i'd appreciate any tips/feedback.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo placement while trying to make a manifold jig (robbbby)

pieces of flat stock would work pretty good.

i used wood blocks to hold my turbo where i wanted.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: turbo placement while trying to make a manifold jig (DaveF)

My boy just held it while I tacked some mild steel together. Didn't work bad, but I think he popped a hemoroid.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:37 AM

Default Re: turbo placement while trying to make a manifold jig (RC000E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My boy just held it while I tacked some mild steel together. Didn't work bad, but I think he popped a hemoroid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the info tough guy
Old 01-23-2008, 05:28 AM
OG Fabricator

i typically just tack together one runner to get it where i want it placed, then build a jig out of the car to secure the location and have repeatability if i want to build more in the future.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM

Default Re: (weiRtech)

well i came up with something to position my turbo, i'm sure there is alot better ways but this will work for me and let me do some final adusting up or down when i go back outside tomorrow. so much easier than trying to rest it on stuff or hold it in position while trying to make a jig. maybe this will help somebody else out, probably not though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2...29831/
Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (robbbby)

So your gonna build the mani in the car then? That's rough.

I don't know what the hell this is supposed to mean:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by robbbby &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thanks for the info tough guy</TD></TR></TABLE>

but, I meant he held the turbo while I tacked a head flange to a turbo flange, essentially building a manifold crudely so that I could jig it. Then use the jig to build the actual mani outside of the car, not in it.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:50 AM

Default Re: (RC000E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So your gonna build the mani in the car then? That's rough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, i am going to build it out of the car. i just made that so i can now build a jig. my whole thing was i was finding it hard to position/rest/hold the turbo exactly where i want so i can build a jig. now that it is solidly positioned exactly where i want, i can build a jig between collector/head flange and then take it out of the car and do it on the bench.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I don't know what the hell this is supposed to mean:

but, I meant he held the turbo while I tacked a head flange to a turbo flange, essentially building a manifold crudely so that I could jig it. Then use the jig to build the actual mani outside of the car, not in it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that was me being a smart ***, i didn't think you were being serious about having your buddy hold it while you tacked stuff, i though you were being an *** so i was just returning the favour, my apologies.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:15 AM
OG Fabricator

damn there is a lot of room in there. i was expecting it to be tighter... nice head flange!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (robbbby)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by robbbby &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..that was me being a smart ***, i didn't think you were being serious about having your buddy hold it while you tacked stuff..</TD></TR></TABLE>

No really...I made his *** hold it....lol.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, just about anything's better than the way I did it before, a folded up pair of old jeans and a beer can.. I tried to hang the turbo from a hoist, that didn't work at all though, it wouldn't stay still.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rorik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rorik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...anything's better than the way I did it before, a folded up pair of old jeans and a beer can..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I remember that pic...the holset t3 divided...that's one for the archives.