Notices

Swapping roofs on an EG civic... help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping roofs on an EG civic... help please

I have a 93 civic DX and I want to swap the roof with a 95 Civic EX parts car I have. Why? Well because the roof on the DX (good car) is wavy like it is stretched out or something and I have a perfectly good EX roof. I can live with the extra 50 pounds or whatever that the sunroofadds. I realize that it won't be that simple and I will have to take the front window out, drill through the spot welds and weld the new roof on. My question is:

-does the EG solid roof provide a lot torsional stiffness to the car? If so, how important is it?
-Will the roof start to buckle after time goes by?
-Will I have to remove the rear window?
- Can anyone give me tips?!?!

I've searched and I found a bunch of EF guys that do it and I've found a pretty good write up on an EF. I also found someone trying to do it on a del slo and people advised against it because of the sructural support that the roof gives or something... I didnt quite understand it but the del slo had ttops which is probably why they advised against it.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swapping roofs on an EG civic... help please

Originally Posted by Quada
I have a 93 civic DX and I want to swap the roof with a 95 Civic EX parts car I have. Why? Well because the roof on the DX (good car) is wavy like it is stretched out or something and I have a perfectly good EX roof. I can live with the extra 50 pounds or whatever that the sunroofadds. I realize that it won't be that simple and I will have to take the front window out, drill through the spot welds and weld the new roof on. My question is:

-does the EG solid roof provide a lot torsional stiffness to the car? If so, how important is it?
-Will the roof start to buckle after time goes by?
-Will I have to remove the rear window?
- Can anyone give me tips?!?!

I've searched and I found a bunch of EF guys that do it and I've found a pretty good write up on an EF. I also found someone trying to do it on a del slo and people advised against it because of the sructural support that the roof gives or something... I didnt quite understand it but the del slo had ttops which is probably why they advised against it.
not sure on any of ur questions but one and that yes will have to remove the rear window the spot weld for the roof are under the top of the window
Old 06-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make sure to reinforce the car before cutting the top off. If you don't it will stretch and you'll have a mess of a car. Just a couple cross braces tacked in. Nothing major. Once its welded in, cut the bars out and everything should be as strong as when it came off the assembly line.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had to do this on my eg, due to the hood popping while driving. You will need to remove your windshield and rear window. I would recomend buying a brand new roof from Honda. I got mine for $300. When I cut my bent roof off, I cut a few inches from the seam then I driled out the spot welds on the seam and chisled then last bit off. Clean the edges and then re weld the other on. Then I added some seam sealer along the top and underside of the seam. It came out real clean. A lot of work but worth it.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you only put a few tack welds per side before you go to the next side. If you do an entire side at once, you'll most likely get it twisted or warped. I also suggest making sure the car is sitting on flat, even/level ground, not on jackstands. You want to weld it in just how the car will sit normally. The sides past the drain lines make up more of the roof structure than a simple curved sheet of steel.