Notices

So I bought a TIG older than my dad!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I bought a TIG older than my dad!

A 1963 Mid-State Magna-Tran AC/DC inert ARC Welder. This thing is MASSIVE. I mean huge, it was bottoming out the suspension in my parts getter van when i was hitting the smallest pumps. This thing has to weigh 600 or so pounds.

I bought it locally from a guy who never really messed with it for a few years; it sat unused since probably the 80s early 90s. I picked it up for $360 with torch & hoses (no ground or power wire) fully expecting it to need a major overhaul of the wiring and other parts. Amazingly after fixing some small stuff and wiring it up I pluged it and it fired right up. HF worked, AC worked, DC worked, gas/water worked I was surprised as hell. The thing is a beast and works great. I can't complain.

Anyway here are some pics of it:

And after not touching a welder for 5 months i picked this thing up and did this; the arc is much more stable and the gas coverage is a billion times more uniform than that Harbor Freight tig (though i'm 99% sure it's just the hf's cheap torch that sucks)
Old 10-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow...and to think my Maxstar is about the size of a toaster. Absolutely crazy how technology changes!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

No joke!

One good thing though, this thing is so overbuilt and built with such simple parts that it wont take much to fix if it does break. Hell its lasted 43 years another 43 shouldn't even phase it.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell yeah!

Where as if something breaks on my maxstar I might as well buy a new one
Old 10-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hell yeah!

Where as if something breaks on my maxstar I might as well buy a new one </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea; i'd still give a ******** or two for a dynasty :drool:
Old 10-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pay2play killa)

My dynasty 200dx is about the size or 2 big toasters

Nice Older welder, Looks like that sucker will last forever!
Old 10-01-2006, 12:07 PM
wrenchin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (CarTunr22)

thats really nice dude, if you have a place to put it, thats one hell of a tig for only couple hundred bucks!
Old 10-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So I bought a TIG older than my dad! (Pay2play killa)

old things are good

i'm 27 and i like to date women older then my dad. !!
Old 05-10-2017, 03:43 AM
Trial User

Default Re: So I bought a TIG older than my dad!

Originally Posted by Pay2play killa
A 1963 Mid-State Magna-Tran AC/DC inert ARC Welder. This thing is MASSIVE. I mean huge, it was bottoming out the suspension in my parts getter van when i was hitting the smallest pumps. This thing has to weigh 600 or so pounds.

I bought it locally from a guy who never really messed with it for a few years; it sat unused since probably the 80s early 90s. I picked it up for $360 with torch & hoses (no ground or power wire) fully expecting it to need a major overhaul of the wiring and other parts. Amazingly after fixing some small stuff and wiring it up I pluged it and it fired right up. HF worked, AC worked, DC worked, gas/water worked I was surprised as hell. The thing is a beast and works great. I can't complain.

Anyway here are some pics of it:

And after not touching a welder for 5 months i picked this thing up and did this; the arc is much more stable and the gas coverage is a billion times more uniform than that Harbor Freight tig (though i'm 99% sure it's just the hf's cheap torch that sucks)

I think you are the only welder with the foot control for this machine. I have the machine (same exactly) but not the foot control. It is called a FC-2 I understand. What I would like to see is a picture of the inside, a schematic, the resistor value (reported to be 20 OHM) and wattage. Anything that will help me make a foot control. If you have the original manual, please post the pin outs for the remote.

Thanks and it is much appreciated. Jim
Old 05-25-2017, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So I bought a TIG older than my dad!

Originally Posted by jimships
I think you are the only welder with the foot control for this machine. I have the machine (same exactly) but not the foot control. It is called a FC-2 I understand. What I would like to see is a picture of the inside, a schematic, the resistor value (reported to be 20 OHM) and wattage. Anything that will help me make a foot control. If you have the original manual, please post the pin outs for the remote.

Thanks and it is much appreciated. Jim
Sorry to break the news to you but this thread is from 2006 and the OP last posted in 2015.

You might try a PM.