Notices

Skeleton front end, Round bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skeleton front end, Round bar?

alright guys i'm going to be installing a 3 pc fiberglass front end for my EG drag car and i was curious as to what materials most guys are using. my idea was to use 1/2" cold rolled or hot rolled round bar, i will be doing this in my garage with minimal tools and experience. I've fabricated small items like battery box, misc brackets, down pipes, welded v band on etc. but nothing as far as complete design and fabricate bumper mounting skeleton.

my car is full drag set up,full 1" thick weight bar mounted to factory tow hook location with no radiator support left, my traction bars mount to this weight bar along with everything else upfront battery box etc. last year i ended up having a buddy use small rectangle tube as a radiator support, to mount the radiator, intercooler and stock front bumper, its very simple and not symmetrical by any means so i would like to remove it and fab the new " bumper skeleton radiator support" to mount all the existing items plus the new fiberglass bumper. i plan on adding a fuel cell to the front of the car aswell this winter to have best setup possible.

any ideas to make this as efficient as possible would be appreciated. design, material, etc

Last edited by widewhite; 10-23-2017 at 12:08 PM. Reason: better
Old 10-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Re: Skeleton front end, Round bar?

I never used any of that, just factory mounting but I have the Exospeed front end for my EK. Now if you have a big widebody front end I guess you may need a skeleton.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I never used any of that, just factory mounting but I have the Exospeed front end for my EK. Now if you have a big widebody front end I guess you may need a skeleton.
i will be using a FRANKS CUSTOM FIBERGLASS front end on my car specific for drag racing, as my car does NOT have the factory radiator support so i will have to make some style of skeleton, i will be using quick disconnect latches to secure it and make use for easy removal for loading on trailer or general maintenance.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by widewhite
i will be using a FRANKS CUSTOM FIBERGLASS front end on my car specific for drag racing, as my car does NOT have the factory radiator support so i will have to make some style of skeleton, i will be using quick disconnect latches to secure it and make use for easy removal for loading on trailer or general maintenance.
Yeah that front end for sure would need something.