Raising your motor? For ground clearance...

Old 01-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raising your motor? For ground clearance...

So I know most of you will just say raise the car this and that. But perhaps I don't want to raise the car and I just want to raise the motor for more ground clearance. I've looked all over the web for pictures of how to make them, but I always see the same useless threads. I'm looking for someone who knows how to make bolt in mounts to raise the engine. With pictures that show how they did it.

The vehicle I'm looking to do this in is a 92-95 civic coupe.
Thanks
Old 01-07-2016, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Raising your motor? For ground clearance...

I can tell you this, It isn't going to be a bolt in affair. Making custom engine mounts to raise the engine would be the least practical solution. The easiest way would be to add material to the engine and transmission brackets so you can bolt the engine up higher, then add a spacer to the rear mount on the subframe behind the engine. Not sure what you would do with the front mounts. You might have to ditch those in favor of stiffer engine mounts for the rear, driver, and passanger side (using 3 instead of the two torque mounts)

how much are you trying to raise it? you have a high chance of running into hood clearance as a result, and you'll have to ensure you don't have any clearance issues in the engine bay as well.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r View Post
I can tell you this, It isn't going to be a bolt in affair. Making custom engine mounts to raise the engine would be the least practical solution. The easiest way would be to add material to the engine and transmission brackets so you can bolt the engine up higher, then add a spacer to the rear mount on the subframe behind the engine. Not sure what you would do with the front mounts. You might have to ditch those in favor of stiffer engine mounts for the rear, driver, and passanger side (using 3 instead of the two torque mounts)

how much are you trying to raise it? you have a high chance of running into hood clearance as a result, and you'll have to ensure you don't have any clearance issues in the engine bay as well.

I'm looking to raise it about two inches, maybe a little more I'm not to worried about good clearance, since it will not be my daily driver. I've heard up only using to two front mounts pass/ driver uppers to raise the motor and leave the back one stock, it put the motor on an angle but you still get the clearance.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont have input on how to do it, but definitely keep in mind the axle shafts and their degree..
Old 01-08-2016, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Raising your motor? For ground clearance...

If you lower the car two inches, then raise the engine 2 inches, i think youll run into issues with the axles potentially hitting the shock forks as the axles will be more straight