Notices

Question on how to repair seals/joints in body frame

Old 09-15-2016, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on how to repair seals/joints in body frame

Well as the title states I'm trying to find out how to repair the seal/seam/joint in the trunk area of my Integra. I bought the car unknowingly to me that it had at one point been in an accident. Had a clear title and carfax report. Anyway the damage was noticed when I removed the interior trunks panels with a buddy to start installing audio equipment and seeing what we had to work with.

It was rear ended from the lookslooks of it. It's been half assed put back together with cheap bondo and fiberglass resin, etc. There are spots where there are open sections you can see through. These of which I know can be welded. But the parts I'm more concerned with is where the seals/seems/joints in the frame are busted. Do they sell this material that looks like caulk? Can I just redo it or does it sound like more work than I've described. I can easily get pictures if it would make it easier for anyone to help. I have a buddy who can do welding but he hasn't had a chance to look it over.

Also the rear bumper, center lock cover and taillights all mount horribly unflush due to this. Mostly the passenger side. It looks like it needs to be banged outward under the taillight and inward behind the center piece/bumper area. Trying to maneuver it by hand bends the opposite back out or in.

In a nutshell does this sound like it can be fixed? Would a whole new rear need to be cut and welded in? Or would it be easier to find a different Integra altogether? The remainder of the car is solid and nothing is damaged or out of whack.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question on how to repair seals/joints in body frame

Find a book on body refinishing, watch videos on using heat (oxy/acetelene) for stretching and shrinking metal. The seam sealer is sold at autobody supply house. Good luck, be patient, you will learn a lot of useful skills that are very useful. Post progress please so others can learn too. Also check the paint and body section in this forum.
Regards
Dave