Notices

PUSHER position fan shroud for "EG" Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PUSHER position fan shroud for "EG" Civic

I have a '95 EJ1 with an H22A swap and am trying to find a radiator fan shroud that will fit on the front side of the radiator between the rad and crash bar so that I can run my fan as a pusher for clearance issues.

I had issues in the past running a slim fan in the normal puller position because the slave cylinder bleeder valve was so close to the fan that under hard accel/deceleration the bleeder would touch the fan blades, eventually this caused the fan to wear a circle into the radiator and causing a leak.

I corrected this 2 years ago and mounted and wired my fan as a pusher on the forward side of the rad. The issue Im having now with this is I had to use those universal zip tie/clip style mounts that go straight through the radiator fins now at this point I am trying to locate a fan shroud just like the dozens all over the internet except I need the tabs to have 2 90° bends to wrap under and over the radiator to the threaded holes for a shroud.

Does anybody know if anyone makes a shroud like this for the EG-EK style half rad?

I have already made a cardboard template and I could fab something with thin sheet metal but Im sure It would be ugly due to my little welding experience. I have thought about buying a regular shroud and modifying it but I do not know how to TIG weld. Im assuming all these shrouds would be aluminum so modifying one of these is not an option for DIY.

I'm open to suggestions, thanks guys
Old 01-27-2019, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PUSHER position fan shroud for "EG" Civic

I forgot to mention the issue with using those zip tie style mounts. Over the past 2 years one of my ties as rubbed a hole in one of the little vertical tubes of my radiator and caused another leak. So this time around I bought a brand new dual core half rad to replace it and I want to have a real shroud to prevent this problem happening again.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

But if you shroud the front side of the radiator you will be blocking some portion of the cold side and that is not good. I agree on the zip tie mounts though. Maybe you could just have bosses welded onto the radiator (like the ones on the backside) so that you can whip up some leg style brackets to mount your fan to?
Old 01-28-2019, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for pointing out that I would be blocking off close to half of my rad! It seems very obvious now that you said that.
i don't know anywhere that can tig weld near me though. But I could just bend some leg style tabs out of 1/4" sheet metal to wrap around to the bosses that are already on the engine bay side.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

No problem.