Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Welding / Fabrication (https://honda-tech.com/forums/welding-fabrication-53/)
-   -   Is it possible to burn your ears when welding? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/welding-fabrication-53/possible-burn-your-ears-when-welding-1202166/)

underpressure02 04-04-2005 06:31 PM

Is it possible to burn your ears when welding?

Yeah this is prob a really dumb question but I was just out welding up my solid motor mount for a while. I just came inside and my ears feel like they are burning. I washed my face and my ears are bright red like I got sunburned.

This ever happen to anyone?

I think I might have had my face a little to close to where I was welding. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

wantboost 04-04-2005 06:35 PM

Re: Is it possible to burn your ears when welding? (underpressure02)

yea, white light tends to burn you... wait until that shit hardens... its sunburn from hell. comes off in thick chunks

underpressure02 04-04-2005 06:46 PM

Re: Is it possible to burn your ears when welding? (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea, white light tends to burn you... wait until that shit hardens... its sunburn from hell. comes off in thick chunks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you serious? Should I put some aloe on them. They are on fire

The Phil 04-04-2005 07:03 PM

You're going to hate it. I promise you. That's why welding masks cover all around your face.

underpressure02 04-04-2005 07:09 PM

Re: Is it possible to burn your ears when welding? (xthephilx)

i thought my hood covered my ears but I guess not. What can I do to prevent this in the future?

Finest 04-04-2005 07:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought my hood covered my ears but I guess not. What can I do to prevent this in the future?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wear a bandana that covers the ears?

Or get a better helmet.

BTW, the hairs on my knuckles are starting to grow back. heh heh I think I'm going to have to start wearing gloves from now on.

B18C1CYA 04-04-2005 07:19 PM

man that sucks , i had a tan line from my chain , was kinda funny with it off it still looked like i was wearing it , haha , use some aloe , or that stuff by avon , i forget what it is called , but works awsome on sun burns https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

Ash J. Williams 04-04-2005 07:22 PM

Re: Is it possible to burn your ears when welding? (B18C1CYA)

the amount of ultraviolet coming off the arc is pretty serious, protect yourself, you don't want any unsual growths if you weld regularly https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif
stan

The Phil 04-04-2005 07:24 PM

Re: Is it possible to burn your ears when welding? (Stan D)

Whenever I do anything working with metal, I try not to leave any skin exposed. It's just asking for trouble.

Smokinsax 04-04-2005 10:06 PM

when i have done some Oxy-Acetylene welding I was only using goggle type eye protection, and it always felt like my face was sunburned. I was definately a little close. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

asylumxl 04-05-2005 02:21 AM

Re: (Smokinsax)

i really cant believe you didnt wear proper protection - you are gonna be feeling like that for quite a while. hope u feel better - nothing wrong with oxy acet. - i thought only electric welding produced dangerous amounts of uv rays?

underpressure02 04-05-2005 04:50 AM

Re: (asylumxl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asylumxl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i really cant believe you didnt wear proper protection - you are gonna be feeling like that for quite a while. hope u feel better - nothing wrong with oxy acet. - i thought only electric welding produced dangerous amounts of uv rays?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I never had this happen before and I always wear what I was wearing last night.
I have a jackson Nexgen EQC hood. I have to put it on tonight and see if it covers my ears. I thought it did. I think it is b/c my face was so dam close to where I was welding.

SpeedDreamz.com 04-05-2005 06:47 AM

Re: (underpressure02)

A welding arc produces only UVa light which will burn your skin. Without a mixture of good UVb light it will only burn and not tan.

1fastVX 04-05-2005 07:47 AM

Re: (SpeedDreamz.com)

Make sure you are wearing a dark colored shirt while welding. If you have on a white or bright colored shirt the rays can reflect off that and get under your helmet causing you to get burned in places that are covered.

John

underpressure02 04-05-2005 07:57 AM

Re: (1fastVX)

yeah I usually wear all black. ALthough my gloves are white deer skin.

turbohappy 04-05-2005 08:12 AM

Yep, welding sunburn is not fun. For some reason I decided to weld in short sleeves one time. Never again!

1fastVX 04-05-2005 08:14 AM

You can also pick up reflected light from behind. I have seen a few guys cut up and old black t-shirt and attach it to the back of the helmet so it covers up the back of your head. Most helmets are light plastic so you can use almost anything to attach the t-shirt to the hood.

John

underpressure02 04-05-2005 08:15 AM

Re: (turbohappy)

I am starting to feel it today. More on the back of my ears then anything. And my face right near my cheeks is all dry and kind of burning I think it is from all the heat and putting my face to close to the metal.

ManBearPig4silly 04-05-2005 11:10 AM

welding sunburn SUCKS. i hate it. i cover everything. it's like 80 deg in the shop today and i was wearing all kinds of crap and sweating my ass off but it's better than peeling skin off every couple of days.

FormulaGSR 04-05-2005 02:24 PM

good luck man. i didnt know it could happen either. Keep some serious aloe ob that shit.

MrMacros 04-06-2005 04:48 PM

What kinda paint have you got on your walls? UV can reflext of it.

Engloid 04-06-2005 05:19 PM

Re: (SpeedDreamz.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpeedDreamz.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A welding arc produces only UVa light which will burn your skin. Without a mixture of good UVb light it will only burn and not tan.</TD></TR></TABLE>

interesting theory, but I wonder what's behind it. UVB rays help in absorbing vitamin D, which then helps your body to use calcium. That's why all these calcium pills have vitamin D in them.

A tan is a defense mechanism of the body. I don't see why the body would only want to defend against UVB.

In this case, it was likely reflected light that caused the ears to burn. You can even have a necklace that reflects light up into your hood, light color shirts, reflective table surface, etc...

Mullet_SyTy 04-07-2005 01:11 AM

Re: (Engloid)

completely off topic but I remember hanging my feet off of a boat one time for the day while we cruised and freaking burnt the bottoms of my feet to a crisp. That SUCKED.

Those reflections will get you, especially with concetrated UV rays like that. Hopefully your ears fare well. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif

cua0 04-07-2005 01:27 AM

I wear sunscreen at work, don't usually wear it when i'm doing home projects, but try putting spf50 on your ears and the back of your neck,

hybridmoments 04-08-2005 07:31 AM

watch out tig welding. i always wear long sleeves cause an hour of welding some thick aluminum at 230 amps and you'll be hating life

though it's much worse when some molten metal drops down through your pants and onto your nut sack! oh my, i wish i could forget that day