Notices

Pics of my first try at b series manifolds Slowmotion Motorsports

Old 05-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update! First manifold for dsms Slowmotion Motorsports

I just graduated Wyotech about 2 months ago and recently moved and now am employed by Slowmotion Motorsports as the head welder/fabricator. I have never touched a welder before I went to wyotech and only welded there for about 6 weeks, came home for about a month, then came down here and started welding again. Not bad for someone who probably has less then 2 months experience welding.............
I have already made 2 top mounts for b series, one ramhorn(no pics yet), and one shorty. [....]Thanks
Ryan
Customer has had us build his 2nd gen talon and forgot to tell us he needed a manifold so we custom made him a manifold........here it is

Here are some updated pics of my work starting from scratch...this ramhorn is for a d series...

Alright guys, heres another update. I just finished this top mount for a customer and this is my first top mount building from scratch. There are many improvements to be made but I'm definitely making progress.

Comments very welcome
Ryan

Modified by Teglove2 at 2:38 PM 5/31/2006

Modified by Teglove2 at 5:43 PM 6/7/2006

Modified by Teglove2 at 4:37 PM 6/9/2006
Old 05-26-2006, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pics of my first try at b series manifolds Slowmotion Motorsports (Teglove2)

lookin good. im gettin my car tuned by you guys in a couple weeks
Old 05-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pics of my first try at b series manifolds Slowmotion Motorsports (Teglove2)

Does Wyotech have A photography class? those pics make my eyes hurt.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:04 AM

Picture quality sucks but other than that it looks good!
Old 05-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry fellas pics were taken with a $100 camera.....next batch will be better.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:50 PM

nice welds
Old 05-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder if a little less taper would help jk

Looks pretty good!

Next time take the manifold outside in the sun, and take pictures from more than a foot away, that should help.

good luck!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CarTunr22)

looks good but looks like you fully welded up one runner at a time and then after you got 2 of them finished you had to put all kinds of crazy bends in it to fit them

just doesnt look like you tacked it up first.... kinda unorganized looking i guess
Old 05-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (cjames235)

Nice welds it seems, but I guess Wyotech doesn't put much emphasis on pulse theory or what it takes to make ultimate power.

The manifold definitely has some work put into it, but plain and simple it looks like a bundle of spaghetti. There has to be a ton of variation in runner length there, when the point of such a manifold is to equalize the lengths.

Ultimate power is made when each cylinder is treated as its own individual motor, the more equal the output, the more overall power they make as a team. You've got 4 motors there, breathing 4 different ways due to those runners. A typical scenario for most side draft throttle bodies and cast/log manifolds, but the point of long tubular top mounts is to equalize. Something you definitely didn't accomplish here.

Good effort man, but do more planning and mockup. Use some tig filler rods cut to equal length, make some little wooden plugs for the ports in the flange, then drill some holes in the middle for the end of the filler to push into. With that, do your shaping in an attempt to meet your collector using equal lengths (or as close to it as you can). From the filler rod model, do your piping mockup with tacks, then weld your runners. The outcome will be far more professional looking.

The general rule is less welds=more professional design/fab

Good job considering your experience though...keep workin at it.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:15 PM
i ♥ snails

Yeah i have too agree with RC000E he knows what hes talking about. The manifold doesnt look too bad but its peformance that counts equal length is the name of the game when it comes to these manifolds. I have to ask how was the wyotech expierence? Im only 17 and planningon going to some sort of trade school for my future.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I knew I was going to get this response. I know everything that you are saying, I'm no idiot. I didnt really wanted to explain the scenario but now i guess i have to. When I first started working at slowmotion they already had 3/4 of that top mount tacked and ready to go and i had to make the last one with what space i was given. I will post up new pics of my newer top mounts which are much much better. I'll also have to post completed pics of the shorty, it really look great. I appreciate the positive criticism but like i said i came in 3/4 of the way on that manifold. Believe me, that WILL NOT be the design we are selling just trying to get one manifold under my belt...............
Ryan
And no, I dont believe Wyotech was worth for many reason I dont want to type a whole page about. Go to a local tech school and save your 22k.......
Old 05-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RC000E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The general rule is less welds=more professional design/fab</TD></TR></TABLE>

i disagree with this statement. I see where you are coming from by stating this, but lets face it, the majority of projects out there don't have the space for the "ideal" setup.

equal length is a huge deal i agree there, and thats not too hard to achieve. The problem is that because of the lack of space, the majority of manifolds out there to utilize the advantages of equal length runners, have to bend and snake in some ways that require multiple pie cuts and tight angles that you just can't pull off the shelf in one piece.

I would more so agree more with: the less welds, the more space you had to work with
Old 05-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

those welds look kind of crazeeeeee
Old 05-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic nation)

just add spagetti sauce
Old 05-31-2006, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Updated pics fellas........as you can clearly see when i work from scratch it turns out much better. Today I will be starting another b series top mount so i will post up completed pics of that when its done.....btw Whats up Chad!
Old 05-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (b16hybridsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16hybridsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i disagree with this statement. I see where you are coming from by stating this, but lets face it, the majority of projects out there don't have the space for the "ideal" setup.

equal length is a huge deal i agree there, and thats not too hard to achieve. The problem is that because of the lack of space, the majority of manifolds out there to utilize the advantages of equal length runners, have to bend and snake in some ways that require multiple pie cuts and tight angles that you just can't pull off the shelf in one piece.

I would more so agree more with: the less welds, the more space you had to work with</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't say that my statement was the 100% rule, I said its the "general" rule. Certainly there are situations to where fit compromises simplicity and more welds are necessary, but my point is when all is said and done if you can sit back and see more going on than is necessary it points to disorganization. In other words, the more you build a design, the more ways you find to reduce the amount of cuts and welds.

Therefore, generally speaking, the less welds=more professional fab. The result of:

1. Repetitive builds of the same manifold design has allowed you to simplify it resulting in less cuts and welds.

2. Experience building manifolds netting you the ability to pre-plan and mock up better than others.

3. Equipment requiring substantial investment to own/operate allowing bending and altering of tubing/piping beyond that of diy and part time fab.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Re: (RC000E)

new mani looks good, but runner 2 on that d-series ramhorn looks a little bit off
Old 05-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (abmerop18)

Looks cool man but they hired a guy with no experience as their head fabricator
Old 05-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well.......you dont fully understand the companys desire. They didnt want someone who has been welding for 20 years demanding $25 an hour. They wanted someone who has had a lot of experience with building hondas, enthusiastic, and wants to gain experience. I am the man for the job. I'm only on my 5th manifold and already making huge improvements.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Teglove2)

not to much man... so you are getting crazy at slowmo now? good to hear, i'd like to see how the cars doing. I just got a thread up on mine. Well keep in touch man, we'll have to meet up sometime sense you are a hell of alot closer now.

keep up the work, remember you can only get better and for the time you've been welding you are already doing very well
Old 06-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b16hybridsol)

dam that **** looks good. thats how i thought they were going to look with a good camera.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

these manifolds are getting better, i saw one in person the other day. from manifold 1 to manifold 5, the improvement was huge. but like ANYTHING, practice makes perfect, and you have to practice somewhere...
Old 06-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90DALS)

h series ramhorn manifold candidate 1
Old 06-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for updated pics.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Teglove2)

**** looks good. i cant wait to see them in person this weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pics of my first try at b series manifolds Slowmotion Motorsports