Notices

My new garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My new garage

Yeah I know its not car fab, but car fab will be done in it soon enough. Its 24x36 with 10' walls and a 5/12 roof pitch with a spread web design on the trusses so I can store junk up there.

I have been going round and round with the city about the size of it. I originally wanted 30x40 but I eventually settled on this. They said it could be 800sqft or 50% of the size of the house. Their records were a way off so I remeasured everything correctly and put it into autocad. Its been a uphill battle and Im really exited to finally be under way with it. I started in march. Now Ill be lucky to get it done before snowfall.

BTW If Im ever your neighbor and I want to build another garage this large dont show up to the variance meeting with all of the other local hens to squawk about how "ugly " it will be in the neighborhood. You might just end up looking at the ugliest green garage for the next 6 months,lol. They didnt show up to the second meeting.

Ill have to find the pictures of me pulling the old garage over with my truck, and some chain.

breaking up the old foundation

Footer being dug. The hole was around 40-50 inches deep. My yard has a slope.

Might of accidently found my sewer line quick repair and on our way again.

footer being poured, this how you keep a building from moving.

all the block showing up (16000lbs worth)

foundation going up, and my pup showing off

back filling and getting ready for the slab

Practice....no really, I had no other place to park and I was cleaning off the mowers out front. didnt want to get sogging grass **** on the bike

The lumber should be here friday, so hopefully I can get started framing this weekend. I'll keep this updated as I make progress.

Last edited by srmofo; 10-14-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My new garage

I want to do this, good luck and have fun man! I want to see where this goes, haha.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is awesome, more updates!!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont mean to ask you a personal question. But were looking to do a project similar to this and I my dad is a carpenter and has quite a few friends that could help us with everything except the concrete work. Did you have a contractor do the concrete? I am thinking its the most expensive part of the project what did the footers and slab run you to have done? You could PM me if you like.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is AWESOME! I hope to one day have a house, and a large seperate garage!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice!
If you ain't on there yet... join us!
http://garagejournal.com/forum/
Old 10-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hellz ya man the house i just bought has a nice two car garage.room for my teg and my roommates sti with room to work on both at the same time. i just love the feeling that the car is safe and locked up indoors.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fav6052
I dont mean to ask you a personal question. But were looking to do a project similar to this and I my dad is a carpenter and has quite a few friends that could help us with everything except the concrete work. Did you have a contractor do the concrete? I am thinking its the most expensive part of the project what did the footers and slab run you to have done? You could PM me if you like.
I had someone come in to do the block work. I helped a buddy redo a chimney this summer and I discovered there is ALOT of technique and skill involved in laying brick. You're right concrete is expensive, I had a little less than 30 yards in the footer and slab and at around $110/yard with the fiber mesh it adds up quick. I also ran into some loose soil in the corner and the inspector had us dig it out, thats why the one corner is so thick in the 12th picture. Price varies by region so check with your local concrete place.

I used 4500 psi but code was only 4200psi so I could of saved a few bucks but it wasnt that much. I had around $700 in block,sand, and mortar. Another big expense is equipment rental. Price varies alot here too but expect around $200/day plus fuel. My uncle had the bobcat and is familiar with running these things and the whole building process which saves alot of time. My family is full of carpenters also and I have alot of favors to call in. It helps being the only mechanic in the family. I had to rent the trackhoe for the footer. You usually dont get breaks in rental until you have it more than a week and I only needed it for a day.

Call around and get several quotes until you find a reputable place. You'll find that some wont even come out, they'll just give a quick quote over the phone. Avoid them like the plaque. I called first and recieved quotes anywhere from $8000 - $12000. Id hate to see the quality of work from the guys who only quoted $8000. The place that made the best impression on me was only 1 of 2 that came out and inspected the property and their quote was right in the middle. I ended up using their brick mason to do the block work.

I got all my lumber from menards, they actually have a kiosk that will completely custimze the structure for you. It only takes a few minutes. I have a little over 7000 in the building but I have 10' ceilings, custom trusses for storage($1600), 110mph shingles, and fully enclosed insulated custom garage doors. It turns out that a 16x9 and 10x9 ($1700/both) garage door isnt very typical. But there is a tax credit for 30% this year. I still need to purchase all the electric and insulation. You could cut down and probably save 2000-3000 on the structure, but Ive wanted this for a long time and my house is big enough to raise a family so I dont anticipate moving anytime soon

Edit - one more thing to consider is if you want a monolithic slab or not, I couldnt find any consesus on which one was better so I choose the block stem wall because it was easier for me to do. I had zero forms. forms are a bitch, paticularly when the inspector comes out. Make sure you find out which way the contractor does it when getting quotes
Old 10-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cool
Old 10-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice garage! That's a lot of concrete! I'd have made it bigger, personally. :D I've got plans in the works for a 32x32 garage on the side of my house. It's pretty hard to find a small house with a 6 car garage on the side. lol. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice start. In to see this complete!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice garage size. i just did mine 18x18 last summer. took me and a friend 8 days... cost me id say about $5000 all together. thats with electric. but i didnt half to pay labor other then a few cases of beer.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PirateMcFred
I'd have made it bigger, personally.!
From the sounds of it he fought to get it that big. Old quacks looking for something to whine about never get old. I've had a few on my *** for years. I battle right back with them and get the building inspector after them for petty stuff like they do me.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good so far. Good luck with it.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:53 PM
i HAS questions ?

Where in Ohio are you located and can I use your garage to do oil changes if you're close enough?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Shooting Star

damn in ohio you should have put in the wirzbro(sp?) heating system, where there is line ran in the floor for hot water heater hooked up to. It runs hot water through the floor keeping it at a nice temperature and cheaper in the long run than using normal heating. Looks like a good fun car building. Good luck!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:52 PM
rota92

Looks great!! I hope to do something like this in the next few years once school is all done and I have time to learn this stuff, and yes favors and family members are awesome...but I think you have the ultimate win on that lol

Can't wait to see more!
Old 10-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the most of the materials showed up today...unfurtunately someone had struck my trusses with a forklift . they actually expected me to accept delivery on them. I didnt catch any pictures of it, but the first one they hit was completely snapped in 2 on the interior web. The delivery coordinator included a 1/4 sheet of 3/4 plywood so I could repair the truss. yeah thats gonna happen, nice try though. It also damaged the 3 trusses behind it. I looked them all over twice, hopefully I didnt miss anything. I accepted the rest of the load and then had to move the rest of them by hand because we cut the bands to remove the damaged trusses. But anyways heres so more pics, hopefully the weather clears up this weekend so I can start framing.

This rig was badass ...until I found out that he refused to drive across my yard. If he got stuck he would be paying the tow because he was a private contractor. So all of my supplies are sitting a little close for comfort to the sidewalk. Id hate to shoot someone over a piece of lumber

Old 10-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

niceeeeee
Old 10-16-2009, 07:13 PM
EPIC TUNING

good ****. how much is this gonna run you? like 10k? (assuming you are doing most of the labor)
Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow i want to see too what its going to look like ..
good job man
Old 10-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great ojob so far bro. cant wait to see the completion!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice! The foundation, the concrete block, the j-bolt. Keep doing the build. How much square feet is that garage??
Old 10-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice. im planing on making something like this to have a place to call my own. the only downside is that I have to keep the roof to a 16' max per the city regs.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My height restriction is 15ft and it wont allow ANY variance for a second story for any purpose. Its still gonna look like a monster when its done though. Their laws say measured from the top of the block though. I got me another 6inches that way...depending on where in the garage I am

Quick Reply: My new garage