Notices

JDM EF9 SiR Headlight Deletes/Air Intake Vent Project: ProtoType and Mold Development

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM EF9 SiR Headlight Deletes/Air Intake Vent Project: ProtoType and Mold Development

-After *weeks* off the grid, absent from all comunication, with countless hours of labor in moving and construction, blood, sweat, and carbon fiber tears.....
----> WE ARE BACK!!!

Here is the progress on the Driver Side Mold from Prototype Design using modeling clay, to 3/4 the way through Mold Construction.

more to come...

Last edited by Jaime 91SiB18; 03-12-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: .
Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: JDM EF9 SiR Headlight Deletes/Air Intake Vent Project: ProtoType and Mold Develop

Nice work in for pics.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM EF9 SiR Headlight Deletes/Air Intake Vent Project: ProtoType and Mold Develop

Do you plan on only wet laying your parts. You could have added a bit of a flange and used it to vacuum infuse your pieces. It does look like quality work though.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the kind words guys!

To be clear on our process...
-We DO Vacuum bag ALL our parts with high end Stretchlon 200 bagging film. It has a 450% stretch ratio to get into all the details with out pleats or dovetails as required with standard nylon bagging film.

-We recently aquired a 5000/gal tank that will be converted into an autoclave as time and funds permit. [big project]

-We DO NOT use the most basic 'wet-layup' method because it's
nearly impossible to capture any significant detail successfully

-Vacuum Infusion is a different process altogether where the catalized resin is 'pulled' from a container through the laid up part to a 'resin-trap' on the other side, via the vacuum pump.
Vacuum Infusion requires all different bagging materials specific to Infusion and has the potential for costly resin waste. To this point, we have not had the need to invest into the relm of vacuum infusion.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely interested in an air intake setup. I have an old iceman headlight intake but it's for an EG and doesn't come remotely close to fitting my EF.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice work!
How many layer of glass are you using on the molds? I have that same Gel-coat dump gun I wish i was video taping the first time i used it. it was a comedy of errors.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wondering the same thing. I don't know much about the "sketchlon", but do you have to use a lot of vacuum to pull it tight into the mold? And then, will that warp your mold and effect the fitment of the part?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 AM
OG Fabricator

Maybe build a steel structure and glass it to the back of the mold to prevent the mold from warping/buckling during production. I've seen a lot of good molds go to crap from warping.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vtechjunkie
I was wondering the same thing. I don't know much about the "sketchlon", but do you have to use a lot of vacuum to pull it tight into the mold? And then, will that warp your mold and effect the fitment of the part?
The bagging material will flex the the needed shape and take the cloth and resin with it. It would need A LOT of vaccum to distort the mold itself. Even if the mold is fairly thin, the cured mold will be must stiffer than the wet cloth its holding.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

JDM EF9 SiR Headlight Delete mold plug, Pass. Side
From the mold we make from this plug, we'll develop another mold plug that will be vented for air intake on race applications.
More to follow..
Old 04-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

we use about 8 layers of glass on our molds and they seem to last longer than we ever need them too. stretchlon 200 is good stuff

www.stohr.com
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redboost10
we use about 8 layers of glass on our molds and they seem to last longer than we ever need them too. stretchlon 200 is good stuff

www.stohr.com
Yes SiR, we use many layers of various types of fiberglass. Most of them being a real heavy 'tooling fabric' made specifically for mold making. You can literally drive a truck over our molds. The issues raised in previous posts questioning the structural integrity are not a factor here.
We use high end materials specifically designed for making production-level molds that will stand up to the repeated hot/cold cycles of multiple part production.
--> However, ALL molds eventually need to be resurfaced. How long that cycle is depends on the materials and methods used in the mold construction.
More to come...
Old 04-17-2012, 02:59 AM

nice project, but I agree to add stiffness to the molds. which you've probably already thought of.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is a sneek peek at the driver side JDM EF9 SiR Headlight Delete, unfinished, and just sitting atop the headlight still installed.
Just for reference..
More to come...
Old 05-22-2012, 02:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

looks good
Old 06-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And then there was a pair of molds...
Still work left, expect more to come....
These JDM EF9 SiR Headlight Deletes are set to debut in our booth at the BLOX OPEN HOUSE event on July 14th.

http://<span style="color:Red">www.B...USE.com</span>

Old 06-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Make mine whatever you want

I MUST HAVE THESE.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your works looks good, just a horrible website!
Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice work. looks good
Old 07-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I gotta ask - why would you wanna cover up the headlight? To me just seems like the market for a headlight cover isn't that great.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Alleykat
I gotta ask - why would you wanna cover up the headlight? To me just seems like the market for a headlight cover isn't that great.
Billy Idol gets it, why doesn't he?

JK man, I dont' think they are to cover the headlight although that might be a nice alternative to tape when road racing (if you even have to do that if they aren't glass).

They are for removing the headlight and perhaps adding an air intake vent if you want if I am not mistaken.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EKhatch
They are for removing the headlight and perhaps adding an air intake vent if you want if I am not mistaken.
Yes SiR! You got it.
These were developed specifically for fellow EF'r Brandon Bush's track car.
His class allows for removal of lights and body panels only if they are replaced with a 'filler' panel.
Look for them to Debut at the www.BLOXOPENHOUSE.com event in our booth.
July 14th, FREE EVENT.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol - big bootay biatch!
Old 12-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Last edited by Jaime 91SiB18; 12-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: JDM EF9 SiR Headlight Deletes/Air Intake Vent Project: ProtoType and Mold Development