Notices

Has anyone built a gokart/dune buggy using a singlecam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (crxowner)

Well you could always cut up a Toyota MR-2, basically making it into a tube-frame off-road... thing. That's possible. It's not only money, it's the time that'll make it impossible.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a spare ls motor, bmw 325 tranny but no rear end. i dont know of any stock rear i could use for a gokart sized dune buggy tho, narrowed rear would end up costing too much money. not to mention i have no idea how i would make an adaptor plate and what i could use for a clutch. also pretty sure i would have to run the rear upside down since the b18 spins backwards.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:26 AM
Banned

Default Re: (KraZEtEggIE)

That's why you have to use an existing FWD lump in the back. Too much time and money for anything else. I think all you have time for is an MR-2 buggy conversion.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im going to build a gt1 style car one of these days with an ls swap in the back. swap is sitting around waiting for some ctr rods and pistons and the day i actually do something with it. 1.6L ls motor with crower valvetrain(+cams). figured it would be more fun reving the **** out of it than making any torque.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:17 AM

Default Re: (kb58)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kb58 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's why you have to use an existing FWD lump in the back. Too much time and money for anything else. I think all you have time for is an MR-2 buggy conversion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats the easiest way to do it, least cost, your not building suspension components on the drive wheels.

that's how i would do it at least, get a doner and chop her up
Old 08-25-2006, 06:37 PM

Yea but i have my heart set on using a honda motor and i wanted to go all out. It's gonna have to put on hold for a little while cuz im in the middle of a job change, going to work for honda woot! woot!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kb58 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah it's mine, nine years in the making. That picture's pretty old, here's a new one. I'm writing a book about the whole process, which you could use as a guide to build just about anything you want.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This doesnt happen to be the Honda powered Mini that is featured in the next Grassroots Motorsports is it. When I saw the ad, you were the first person I thought of.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what is everyone using for front suspension? i have been looking for an affordable mustang 2 front suspension for a while and all i really found was the jegster front end.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Banned

Default Re: (TGrant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TGrant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This doesnt happen to be the Honda powered Mini that is featured in the next Grassroots Motorsports is it. When I saw the ad, you were the first person I thought of.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is, my 15-minutes of fame.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:18 PM

These are single cam powered.

The company that built them went out of busines and screwed allot of people out of their money.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (_BEN_)

I was looking all over for those things cause I knew that they used a D16 and an A/T trans. That sucks that they went under, and sucks worse that they took other people with them
Old 08-29-2006, 09:41 PM

Default Re: (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was looking all over for those things cause I knew that they used a D16 and an A/T trans. That sucks that they went under, and sucks worse that they took other people with them</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah they have been long gone for a while now.

One of those things with better suspension and a hybrid k24/k20 head would be sick.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:04 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _BEN_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">These are single cam powered.

The company that built them went out of business and screwed allot of people out of their money. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That is one of the sickest things I have ever seen.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&lt;&lt;&lt;
Old 08-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (F20Cteg)

On the sandrail with the B17, the Honda plats spins backwards, so is the trans upside down. I know you can do that, but I heard that it is much weaker (makes sense) that way. I have also heard of someone modding a D-series to run backwards. Basically rerouted the t-belt, and put the cam in 180 off. Might have rearanged the plug wires too, no time to think about it right now.

Anyway, got a source on that adaptor plate
Old 08-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (krustindumm)

These guys sell transaxles from reverse rotation engines.

http://www.mendeolaracing.com/

You can also modify a VW trans to run backwards. The guys who ran Corvair powered buggies used to do this.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:28 PM

Default Re: (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You can also modify a VW trans to run backwards. The guys who ran Corvair powered buggies used to do this. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I think all it involves is a little machine work and flipping the ring/differential.
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/indexx.html does such work.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been wanting to build something like an FSAE car ever since I saw one rip it up in a parking lot. One of these days when I clear out enough room in the garage...

Old 09-01-2006, 08:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kb58 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It is, my 15-minutes of fame.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats awesome, congratulations, I can't wait to read the article.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (KraZEtEggIE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KraZEtEggIE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im going to build a gt1 style car one of these days with an ls swap in the back. swap is sitting around waiting for some ctr rods and pistons and the day i actually do something with it. 1.6L ls motor with crower valvetrain(+cams). figured it would be more fun reving the **** out of it than making any torque.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's just plain silly. Why not strengthen the bottom end so you have torque and revs? Torque = way more fun than high-revving nonsense, and I've had both. High revs AND torque is the best, by far, but that's also the most expensive.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:44 PM
New User

Default Re: Has anyone built a gokart/dune buggy using a singlecam?

bringing this thread back from the dead, i don't own a honda, i currently drive a saab, but i'm looking into building a vehicle like this, with a saab drivetrain. a 2.0 liter saab turbo motor and 5spd manual trans, both spares pulled from my car.

anyway, anything ever happen with this project?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am building a sandrail with a D16 in it right now...running into a few issues that have slowed me down a bit (mostly the shift linkage). I bought a sandrail which previously had a VW motor in it, so it has the VW rear tortion suspension and trailing arms which in being a cheap *** I thought I would use and just adapt my axles to bolt into the VW hubs. ***Bad idea*** This left me having one very short axle and one long one. So my suspension travle is was only about 3" or so. In the next month or so I will be moving the motor over and using the factory axles and building new trailing arms and hubs, and going to some FOX air shocks :-) Keep in mind I am not using an adapter to run the VW transmission (I am using the stock Honda tranny). I have the motor running in the rail now, just gotta get a few things figured out and built, and I am off to the dunes! :-) I have tons of pics of the whole process, and will continue to take more, and will start a thread once I have a completed and running project. When I get all the bugs figured out on this rail, I will be building a nicer one with my H22 in it.
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2009, 11:55 AM
New User

shift linkage is something i've been thinking about too.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i was going to say check out d16sandrails build thread.thats exactly what you wanted to build.there you go.pretty simple front drive train in the rear.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:21 PM
New User

Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 PM
New User

Quick Reply: Has anyone built a gokart/dune buggy using a singlecam?