Notices

Gassy Pancakes - Caps for backpurging

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gassy Pancakes - Caps for backpurging

I've designed a backpurging tool which is very versatile compared to what is on the market. I own many tools for purging but none are quite like mine.

The Gassy Pancake is a solution to multiple problems while not using any aluminum foil such as purging weld seams close to the end of the tube, pie cuts as well as various other instances. You no longer have to be concerned with your purge device falling out, aluminum foil not sealing and then having to repurge the work piece wasting time and money. In this business we all know time is money and my product will pay itself off quickly. My goal is to solve problems and increase a fabricators bottom line. Traditional products have to be hammered on and off and often times fall out while welding and that gets very aggravating. Ive said a few curse words after hammering them on, missing and hitting the work piece or having them get stuck and needing to wait for it to completely cool in order to remove. Other products work amazing until you have to weld anywhere near the plug and it melts. I'm a firm believer in there is a tool for everything to make any job quicker with less headache.

The Gassy Pancake is a cap which is secured onto the end of thin wall tubing and secured with brass tipped set screws to insure the work piece is not damaged. The ONLY stipulation with them is the end of the tube must be cut straight and deburred prior to cap installation to insure the cap seals. More information and the pre-order can be found on the website! (signature).

Production for the 3" model begins next week. 2.5" will begin shortly after. By the end of the year, I will have a collection of just about all sizes used in the automotive fab industry as well as 1.5" SCH10/40 caps for those that build manifolds and are tired of your plugs falling out or getting stuck!

sorry if this is not allowed but this product will not effect any sponsors. just a small business trying to make ends meet and bring products to the industry that work as intended!

Production design!
Final Production rendering!
Prototype model sent to 4 high end fabricators for testing.
stainless back purging vs no back purge
Titanium work using Gassy Pancakes by Joe Simpson
Internal view using Gassy Pancakes by Joe Simpson
Collage by Justin at No Corners Cut using Gassy Pancakes
Old 02-06-2017, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 452 Likes on 418 Posts
Default Re: Gassy Pancakes - Caps for backpurging

That is a neat idea.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice variation. Tech South has had something very similar on the market using a wing nut style securing method vs your set screws.

I am an independent contractor in the food & pharmaceutical construction industry. I weld stainless tube and pipe every day. I use a mixture of tech south brand purge plugs and some from Arc Zone, in addition to standard S-line caps with quick connects welded on them.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Saw Chris @ Unobtanium post up a picture using his Gassy Pancakes yesterday. If that isn't a good product endorsement, I don't know what is!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:48 PM
OG Fabricator

These work really well. Easily the best so far that I've had my hands on. I use them daily, after using foil for years out of frustration. Now I just need them in the 20 different sizes I use all the time!!!
Old 09-19-2017, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 9bells
These work really well. Easily the best so far that I've had my hands on. I use them daily, after using foil for years out of frustration. Now I just need them in the 20 different sizes I use all the time!!!
thank you!

im working on a new version which will do away with the hardware and make them slip on using constant force tension springs to grip the inside of the tube.

I swear, more sizes are coming. Had a rough patch a few months ago which literally took every bit of my savings but I'm playing catch now. Go figure lol