Notices

first time welding this material...and first time welding a collector....let me know what you think

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first time welding this material...and first time welding a collector....let me know what you think

i know these pics are horrible....hopefully they turn out somewhat.... i got the pre cut peices for the collector from B18c1cya......thanks

this is my first time welding this material....so im still doing a lot of experimenting. i had to teach myself how to tig with out any teachers or any instructors...everything has been trial and error....been at it for about 2 months now. ANY advice greatly apreciated
Old 11-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: first time welding this material...and first time welding a collector....let me know what you th

hmm those pics turned out worse than expected...i should probably just delete this post hahaha
Old 11-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: first time welding this material...and first time welding a collector....let me know what you th

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm those pics turned out worse than expected...i should probably just delete this post hahaha</TD></TR></TABLE> just take new ones and edit your post , looks good man, ha my first time welding this stuff sucked, a little tip though get a wire wheel and put it on a bench grinder and clean every peice you weld , it only takes a second but the steel is clean and the welds turn out better also , but keep up the good work
Old 11-23-2004, 07:13 PM
OG Fabricator

looking good...
more heat will make it look even better.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm more heat huh? most of the stuff ive been messing around with has been 16 gauge stainless and i usually feel as if its too hot. however i love welding the 16 gauge to like a downpipe flange....that stuff turns out nice. what amperage are you guys using for these style collectors.....how about just 16gauge to 16gauge?

do you have better luck setting the amperage higher and using less foot pedal....or setting the amperage closer to where full throttle will work better? personal preferance? i wish i had more time to mess with this stuff...... about a week ago i did a full exhaust for a nissan.......made it from the downpipe to the back bumper.....had so much fun doing it and you could progressivly see the progess in the welds......then i didnt have a chance to weld anything big for a while and when the next thing i welded i had to sit and think about everything i learned on the other exhaust....i wish i had the time to just sit and weld all day!! work sucks, i quit! haha
Old 11-23-2004, 07:37 PM
OG Fabricator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have better luck setting the amperage higher and using less foot pedal....or setting the amperage closer to where full throttle will work better? personal preferance?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, if you set the machine to 100 amps and hammer the pedal all the way, you will weld with 100 amps. If you set the machine at 50 amps and hammer it all the way, you will weld with 50 amps. Personally, I usually set the machine way past what I plan to weld at....so I have all the heat I need there and on tap while welding.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:58 PM

Welding looks so much fun, I am so eager to try it out.

I think I should take some introductory courses first.

That collector pipe looks nice, good stuff man.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

I agree with b18C1CYA...the welds always look better if you clean the material. TIG welding tends to bring all the little impurities to the surface...so clean it as much as you can. Its sorta hard to tell by the pics...but it looks like you need to slow down just a tad. It looks like you were rushing it at the bottom of the first pic. But like i said its sorta hard to tell.

And im not as lucky as you guys...ive only ever done scratch start. Ive never even used a pedal. Damn i feel like im living in the stone age

BTW-It looks damn good considering you taught yourself and youve only been doing it for 2 months. I had some people in my class that wasnt doing that good after a semester...and my teacher was considered one of the best in the country. Very nice
Old 11-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

more filler as the joint gets larger , you were straying side to side at the end and it looked like you rushed it a little.

slow down and it will get better.