Notices

Decent welding gloves that take heat but still allow for finger feel

Old 07-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Decent welding gloves that take heat but still allow for finger feel

as title states.. Im having a hard time finding a set of gloves that can take the heat from tig welding but still allow me to feel the torch and feed filler. I've tried without gloves but I'm so fair skinned (German lol) that my hands burn after 5 minutes or less... Got a pair of relatively thin welding gloves and they couldnt take any heat and I really couldnt feel anything on my filler hand.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Decent welding gloves that take heat but still allow for finger feel

always used the tilmann goat skin gloves myself. some of the guys I work with use those mechanix gloves, I dont really like em tho. these: http://www.toughweld.com/j-tillman/g...FWkCQAod_x0VgA
Old 07-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Decent welding gloves that take heat but still allow for finger feel

at the moment i just use the Mechanix, but i do feel the heat through them. i'm in to hear what other people use though
Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

My gloves were similar to what he posted. As soon as I struck an arc I felt the heat... 5 minutes of welding and the glove was to the point of burning my hand...
Might have to get a thick glove for the torch hand and just wear spf 100 on the filler hand haha
Old 07-16-2012, 11:13 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use "stick welding gloves" for everything. You can surely adjust to them. I can put together 1/4" nuts and bolts with thick welding gloves as well without issues. Also, I would say it isn't as much about the feel as it is watching what you are doing.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

thats very true. sometimes it just feels goofy trying to hold the filler when you can't exactly feel it lol.
I guess I'll just experiment...
still have to fix the leak at my torch and get a power hookup and the new old house so no welding for awhile... one of the water lines from my torch cooler has a crack at the connection to the torch and one day i didn't notice it dripping on to the table and got shocked and flew off my stool haha.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have two sets of gloves. One set for doing thin wall stainless and small metal stuff, and one set for anything that gets super hot or aluminum welding in general.

Goatskin Millers for the lighter stuff.
"Winter" working gloves for the heavy stuff, they have extra padding to keep your hands warm when working in the cold. Works just as well for keeping the heat out, and it's not that hard to control 3/32 rod lol.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sheesh who needs feeling?

My "normal" welding gloves (amps under 200 and not when inside plenums!)

my moderate heat gloves (250-350 amps when doing bursts, 275max when doing long welds that take over 15mins of continuous heat)

my high heat gloves (350-450amps, good for 300-325 continuous heat around 15 mins before they heat soak and cook your hand)

sometime I even have to throw on my backhand

sometimes I even mix up gloves depending on the weld.

A month back or so, I had a oil job, the material was A36 mild steel, each piece was a corner joint on material that was roughly 8" long by 1.5" thick. It was beveled and left with a 1/6" land on one piece and the other piece no bevel. There were 3 welds per unit I was building and 18 units total to build (54 welds total). Each weld took roughly 1lb of filler wire, probably a little more. I know I went through 50lbs of wire and started on a 6th box of wire (10lb boxes of 1/8" mild steel filler)

I don't even have a clue how many passes it took to build it up but as always with a weld like that you use a reverse pyramid building layout.

It probably took somewhere along the lines of 100 passes, but that's just a guess... Like I said enough to have melted in over a full lb of filler wire each weld.

Amps were run at 350 continuous and each unit took roughly 1 hour of non stop welding. I would have to cycle gloves on my right (welding) hand as after about 5-10 minutes each of those aluminum/kevlar gloves would become heat soaked and would have to sit and cool off. Basically I would weld until the pain would become unbearable, later I pulled the glove off and noticed it look like my pinky and thumb had sat in an oven. The skin was literally COOKED, dry and cracked. Had a bit of nerve problems in the thumb for a few weeks that have finally subsided.

Ohh yeah, I couldn't use a fan either, the way the weld was I had no means of shielding the weld from the fan so I was stuck in huge denim shirt welding 350amps for 1 hour straight at a time. No bathroom, telephone, water, anything breaks. Just enough to grab a new filler, change the welding hand glove and back to work. If I let the part cool off it would have been hell getting enough heat back into it to produce a quality weld. I probably drank a full 2 liter bottle of water in between each part I built and needed a solid 15 mins to cool down myself.

Last edited by BMCRace; 07-16-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

i like the look of the 1505s and the 1200s.. i'll look into both.. I'll never go above 250amps as thats the limit of my machine and I honestly don't know what i would need to weld at that high of an amperage. The water cooled torch helps keep my torch hand cool but my filler hand gets hot quick.

The rod isnt hard to control, I just kinda like to feel what I'm doing, if I get the right feel in my hand I get comfortable and just cruise... I'm weird lol.

^ps I have a question for you, can I pm you if you don't mind?
Thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sure thing bud fire away.

I honestly don't suggest gloves like mine unless your pumping out alot of aluminum parts or very hot steel parts.
It has taken years to get used to welding in thick gloves.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

well i figure i might as well get used to it... i only do things here and there at my house... but my dad just built a 1000sq ft shop behind his house and he wants to start doing some fabrication so I'm pretty sure i'm gonna have to be the one to show/help or just do it myself..

Plus I'm still trying to get aluminum down right and when my hands get really hot I just can't focus on the welding aspect
Old 07-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The thing I hate most about the thin gloves is the heat will "shrink wrap" them on your hands, especially if you arc flash yourself you have next to no protection.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I had that happen the first few times I used the gloves we got at airgas... they shrank around my hand. I thought for a second I was going to have to cut them off
Old 07-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BMCRace
My "normal" welding gloves (amps under 200 and not when inside plenums!)
This made me laugh. Was welding inside of a fuel cell last week and it was way too hot for my gloves to handle, so I wrapped a *clean* towel around my hand to try and subdue the heat for a little longer so I could finish.

About 20 seconds into the weld I noticed the towel turning black, didn't seem right. When I killed the arc, I could just barely see the flicker of the massive blaze that I was still holding.

Being on fire always gets the juices going.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

A month back or so, I had a oil job, the material was A36 mild steel, each piece was a corner joint on material that was roughly 8" long by 1.5" thick. It was beveled and left with a 1/6" land on one piece and the other piece no bevel. There were 3 welds per unit I was building and 18 units total to build (54 welds total). Each weld took roughly 1lb of filler wire, probably a little more. I know I went through 50lbs of wire and started on a 6th box of wire (10lb boxes of 1/8" mild steel filler)

I don't even have a clue how many passes it took to build it up but as always with a weld like that you use a reverse pyramid building layout.

It probably took somewhere along the lines of 100 passes, but that's just a guess... Like I said enough to have melted in over a full lb of filler wire each weld.

Amps were run at 350 continuous and each unit took roughly 1 hour of non stop welding. I would have to cycle gloves on my right (welding) hand as after about 5-10 minutes each of those aluminum/kevlar gloves would become heat soaked and would have to sit and cool off. Basically I would weld until the pain would become unbearable, later I pulled the glove off and noticed it look like my pinky and thumb had sat in an oven. The skin was literally COOKED, dry and cracked. Had a bit of nerve problems in the thumb for a few weeks that have finally subsided.

Ohh yeah, I couldn't use a fan either, the way the weld was I had no means of shielding the weld from the fan so I was stuck in huge denim shirt welding 350amps for 1 hour straight at a time. No bathroom, telephone, water, anything breaks. Just enough to grab a new filler, change the welding hand glove and back to work. If I let the part cool off it would have been hell getting enough heat back into it to produce a quality weld. I probably drank a full 2 liter bottle of water in between each part I built and needed a solid 15 mins to cool down myself.
I didnt even see this at first. Thats an insane amount of filler for each piece. I don't even want to think of how much power you sucked up doing that.

I've set my self on fire a few times... I had to weld up a crack in a muffler for a friend at one our shop "install" days. A buddy of mine sprayed brake cleaner inside the muffler and i didnt see it. Struck an arc and boom! cone of flame comes out either end, sets my sleeve on fire....

I think that time I got shocked by 120amps with HF on continuous because my torch was leaking down my arm and onto the welding table was probably the worst/funniest. my buddies working with me couldnt stop laughing and i couldnt feel my arm for almost an hour
Old 07-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SovXietday
This made me laugh. Was welding inside of a fuel cell last week and it was way too hot for my gloves to handle, so I wrapped a *clean* towel around my hand to try and subdue the heat for a little longer so I could finish.

About 20 seconds into the weld I noticed the towel turning black, didn't seem right. When I killed the arc, I could just barely see the flicker of the massive blaze that I was still holding.

Being on fire always gets the juices going.
Your not a real welder till you set your self on fire a few times

good times. Was wearing some worn out denim jeans, a ball of aluminum fell off an intake and landed on some random strands, kept going, denim is great at protection from heat.... About 30 seconds later my crotch started getting hot, stopped looked down and king ***** was almost ablaze!

Other good times are mig overhead, the smell of burning hair stinks up the shop for a few days
Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

i've done that. the resulting oh **** dance is quite hilarious.

one time i was doing some crap overhead with flux core (quickie fix at the shop for sake of function) and a piece of splatter got in my shoe in between my foot and my sock. wasn't that much fun
Old 07-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't see why the filler feeding hand is getting hot..practice different filler feeding technique from further distance ...the torch hand is the one that burns u usuall feel it in ur finger nails real bad.. I made myself a tig finger..it's simply a spark plug boot heat shield you fold it upmandmstick your finger in it ..now u can rest your finger on metal with out getting burn.....it's all in technique really...and no I'm not saying your crappy welder...
Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

well our welding table was an inch thick solid plate steel and was basically a giant heat sink... heat would travel out very quickly, as i rest my arm on the table to help keep it steady, at least while im getting back into the swing of things... I was in a bad car accident and have neck and back damage so I can sit there slumped over the work piece... I have to support myself from the front
Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have had some good spatter fires over the past 2 years i have been welding. last summer out in the 100* heat welding up a trunk lid, i was wearing gym shorts, and loose fitting shoes with no socks. the spatter burns through gym shorts like they are nothing, and as i was sitting in my chair, i was on my toes so my knees would be high enough to rest my elbows on, and an ember came down between my ankle and my shoe, and since my foot was at an angle, the ember slid down my shoe right at the ball of my big toe. damned if that didn't hurt
Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

yea it seems like the foot hurts a lot.. especially since the splatter gets stuck. Im gonna try what BMC said. I pm'd him about some things and it was really nice of him to take the time to answer my questions and in great detail, so I think im good for now
Old 07-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cool bud, I'll get back to that last pm later today. Gotta go ship alot of goodies and knock out 2 manis today.

-James
Old 07-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Black Stallion's Tigster gloves are by far my favorite. I havent found any other gloves that come close to these in dexterity. Only problem is there wear out somewhat quickly and they keep getting more expensive. I think the last time I bought a pair they were $26, about 3-4 years ago they were around $19.

http://images.acumenholdings.com/ima...jpg?1321899063
Old 07-17-2012, 03:04 PM
I Deliver

I just use the thin tillman tig gloves for everything. After you burn your hands enough and get nerve damage you cant really feel the heat anymore....
Old 07-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

cool bud, I'll get back to that last pm later today. Gotta go ship alot of goodies and knock out 2 manis today.

-James
Ship something to me lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Decent welding gloves that take heat but still allow for finger feel