Notices

vtec to vva. interesting concept

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec to vva. interesting concept

found tis link when looking for after market rockers... this guy looks like he just needs a good fab guy to make it a real runner. not sure why he did the exhaust side.

http://www.pattakon.com/vvar/VTECtoVVA/index.html
Old 02-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vtec to vva. interesting concept

http://www.pattakon.com/pattakonRoller.htm

http://www.pattakon.com/pattakonRollerLight.htm
Old 02-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like someone spent to much time making stuff in their garage. those parts looks horrible and so does his port work on his manifold. my 16 yr old brother can pop out better port work than that
Old 02-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Terrible workmanship for the type of components. Good idea, (although not really his)

I'm not sure if he actually got it working or not? Cool if he did, although doubt how long it'd run for with those parts.

How did he actually get the timing/control part of it correct?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With this “terrible workmanship” the modified pattakon-B16A2 cylinder head makes a lot more, and a lot better, than the original Honda.

Unless I am wrong, “the faster a sprinter, the better”, no matter he/she is “horrible” or good-looking.

“Intellectual Property” means that an official third party (the Patent Office) searched, examined and granted a patent, which means anybody that is going to make and sell the pattakon-VVA-roller system has to pay royalties to pattakon for as long as the patent is in force.

Can your Honda VTEC idle at 330 rpm and pull strongly ALL the way to 9000 rpm (wherein the rev limiter is set for the sake of the underneath mechanism: connecting rods, pistons, crankshaft, block) asking for more? Without “holes”?

Can your Honda VTEC operate without a throttle valve?

How much an ITB for your Honda (a TODA for instance) costs?
For the pattakon-VVA-roller it costs nothing than a “horrible” slice of the original intake plenum (the intake valves make the throttling).

How much a set of racing camshafts (TODA for instance, with 12mm intake valve lift and longer duration) costs for your Honda? And what costs the degradation of the operation of your engine at medium and low revs with the wilder camshafts?

This plot explains the superiority of the pattakon-VVA-roller over the Honda-VTEC:

The available valve lift profiles (or modes of operation) are only two in your original VTEC engines (red and green curves), and thousands for the pattakon-VVA-roller.
Compare the top blue curves to the red curves. Which ones fit to more power?
Then comp the “short” blue curves with the green ones. Which ones fit to lower consumption and cleaner exhaust?
Can you avoid the torque-curve “hole” at the middle of the revs of your VTEC?

How the pattakon “VTEC” is controlled?
The http://www.pattakon.com/DVA_files/pattakonVVAs.pps power point (it is the presentation of pattakon in the engine expo 2008, Stuttgart Germany) explains - among others - how the ECU was reprogrammed to match with the new hardware.

The bad news for the pattakon-VVA-roller is that its evolution, the desmodromic VVA of pattakon (or DVVA) at http://www.pattakon.com/pattakonDesmo.htm can do even more, being rid of valve springs.

The easy way is to reject:

the hard way is to make it work.

Thanks
Manolis Pattakos
Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I apologies for derogatory comments, they were not meant in that way at all.

Unless I am wrong, “the faster a sprinter, the better”, no matter he/she is “horrible” or good-looking.
While this comment is true, your product is like an overweight sprinter. Ok they might win a race, which is great, but he/she could improve by loosing weight.

Basically what I was trying to say is, you'd be much better getting CNC machined parts, balanced in weight, slim lined in design etc etc. How many miles have you done with the engine like this? I can appreciate its a prototype, and all they need to be is functional, but you cannot take this product to market. You now need some investment, you've got the data you need. You need to produce it or license it to the big guns.

What does your patent actually cover though? As all the "big" players already have similar systems, I'm afraid they will just slightly rework your idea and then call it their own.

I'm very impressed by what you have achieved, but sadly I don't think you'll get the recognition you should.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why don't you guys try to design and prototype something along these lines and see if you get the respect this guy gets. I'm sure you'll be lucky to even get what you guys have offered. Until thenm you may find it challenging to earn to be called Hypocrites.

If you check Pattakon's site you'll find a lot of prototypes in operation. I'm sure that not every design made it out of paper yet. The few that have, are not in production phase yet either. Knowing about the politics of the involved in automotive manufacturers is another hurdle one would encounter in the attempt to make it to production with his design. Another would be to find the consumer who will spend the coin on it. He has spent a lot of time engineering theses mechanisms, prototyping them, and even making a few into operation. This stuff takes a lot of time and dedication. Not to mention tooling, materials and machining. You don't see an engineer take the same stand as he has for these reasons. There are thousands of them out there.

Manolis, the work you've done is amazing and I'm not sure you'll gain much on this forum aside from a thicker skin but you have my thumbs up and salute.

-Joe
Old 03-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very impressive adapting this to a Honda engine... Ive dealt with this alot on the newer BMW engines.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I never said anything about it being crappy. I just would like to see better construction of the parts like stated before ... great idea. would love to help with any part of this that I can.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First integrated circuit ever made, which led to changing the entire world forever.

Engineering ain't pretty.