Notices

Another welder cart build...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another welder cart build...

Picked up a new welder to add to the toolbox back in January - a Dynasty 280 DX. I wanted to make a nice cart for it, a 330 CF Bottle, and a custom DIY water cooler all in one package. It is not something I plan to load into the truck (heavy) but if I even need to be more mobile with it I will make a more compact version out of aluminum.

This was built using primarily 2" square tube 304L 7 gauge - it did not need to be this heavy at all, but I get access to a lot of drops from work, and some of the longer pieces I picked up on my own to complete it. The wheels and casters are from Tractor Supply. The welder tray angle is 30 degrees - a little more than I needed in hindsight but I am over 6 ft tall so the angle and height puts it at a good spot for my access & viewing.

I have a Marathon Electric AC motor, a Procon pump, and have an assortment of fittings, strainer, etc en route from McMaster to finish the plumbing. I plan to get fancy with it and plumb it with 1/2" stainless tubing. The reservoir is an 18" drop piece of 6" stainless tubing that I will cap, weld the appropriate bungs for supply/return/fill/drain/sight glass.

I picked up an appropriate connector to wire the electric motor to receive power from the CPS port on the Dynasty rear (looks like a PC power supply type connector).

I will update pictures as I finish the project.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:21 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Another welder cart build...

Dang, that's a bit large eh? I am interested in how you are going to finish it off and utilize all that extra space. What size tanks do you plan on running? Holy ****, I didn't realize they finally released the 280!!! ********!!! I had my order in on one a few years ago and it kept getting put on back order and then they dropped it like it never existed. It was even in all their catalogs LOL... Looks like I am going to have to hit YouTube up for some videos!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work. Super clean. keep up the good work!
Old 04-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clean!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks twice as big as it needs to be?
Old 05-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some further additions to the cart.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dammmn dude that is freaking work of art lol
Old 05-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks very nice!

Couple of questions though.

1) How did you bend the steel tubing? I can bend small diameter SS tubing just fine with various benders, but when I step up to 3/8 and 1/2" it all goes to hell. I can do AL/Copper just fine though.

2) How exactly does your water cooler function? I see a pump (which by the way looks ridiculously oversized) and the water reservoir, but I do not see a heat exchanger anywhere?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A tubing bender designed for stainless tubing. Similar in design as the cheaper ones for aluminum or copper, but built better and with longer handles.

As for the pump, it is a standard procon pump that miller and Bernard use - the coupled electric motor is no different than the one in the miller coolmate 4.

Currently no heat exchanger. With a 2 gallon capacity, and the amount of welding I do I may not need one right away but I do have a thermometer in the reservoir to see how it performs. I will likely install a bar and plate cooler (transmission/oil cooler type) at some point between the pump discharge and torch connection.