Notices

aluminum welding prep

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum welding prep

Hey guys I was wondering what the steps were to prep on aluminum I plan on practicing on some scrap metal to learn how to run beads. I know You use a wire brush and Acetone. But in which order put Acetone on a rag and wipe down the surface and than wire brush it or do I have the steps backwards. What dose everyone here do. What do you guys use do you add or use anything that acetone.

Thanks Brian
Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: aluminum welding prep

i like to bead blast everything, denatured alcohol is best as it leaves no residue, DO NOT use chlorinated cleaners, they break down into phosgene gas which which will kill you dead that quick, or screw your lungs for life, phosgene gas is mustard gas
Old 03-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm a complete welding noob this is my first time welding. so dont mind the stupid questions. whats bead blasting, were do you get the denatured alcohol and do you just use a rag to wipe it down and than hit it with a wire brush. and is acetone considerd a chlorinated cleaners. I want to learn to weld not die lol.

Thanks for the help
Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b16bri
I'm a complete welding noob this is my first time welding. so dont mind the stupid questions. whats bead blasting, were do you get the denatured alcohol and do you just use a rag to wipe it down and than hit it with a wire brush. and is acetone considerd a chlorinated cleaners. I want to learn to weld not die lol.

Thanks for the help
bead blasting is like sand blasting but with a cabinet, and you use glass bead or plastic media, denatured alacohol is available in cans at anyplace like home depot,lowes,ace etc, just wipe it down and let it evaporate completly, it's residue free, chlorinated cleaners are found in things like brake cleaner etc, it should be on the label, but be careful
Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a stainless wire brush is fine, but to remove the small bits of metallic 'dust' wipe it down with acetone or alcohol afterward.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just start practicing diffrent things just like lostforawhile said DONT use the brake cleaner id stay away from that altogether. A brand new wire wheels or heat to get out some impurities, also acetone with a clean rag do that last theres alot of methods. You will find when welding with aluminum its a art its own and is hard to just pick up right away its not like mig welding and just takes A LOT OF PRACTICE. post pics and we can try to help you
Old 03-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I usually...

1) Wipe down with acetone to clean away any impurities on the metal so you don't end up either getting it all over your brush for step 2 or push it into the metal during step 2.
2) Use a DEDICATED STAINLESS STEEL wire brush on both sides and about an inch around where I'm going to weld.
3) Rewipe with acetone to clean away the extra dust.

Also make sure your tungsten is CLEAN and if you dip (and you will), stop, regrind, reclean, and go again.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 PM
OG Fabricator

I use a dedicated SS wire brush and or a brand new scotch brite pad. end with acetone.

never an issue when proper care is taken. aluminum can really "hold" crap. just take your time. dedicated files for aluminum are nice also.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for every one who replayed. SovXietday- I'm a complete welding noob ive never done it before and trying to learn as much as i can. I plan on getting some book and reading thew them but what advise can you give me ? What do you mean by diping the tungsten. What dose it mean and how will i know when i've done it also do you clean the tungsten with acetone. ? Also is prep for SS the same as aluminum.

Thanks again I really appreciate it.