Notices

4g63 into civic, mods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 4g63 into civic, mods?

For those who are saying that honda motors are weak and need to be built in order to make a lot of power their wrong...

First off, the 4g63 comes from the factory turboed so it should be able to handle more power in stock form than a honda motor..

Yet, stock block/head honda k series motors are making 600whp alllllll day long on E85 or race gas and 450-500 on pump, some 800+ on stock sleeves with just pistons/rods. Idk how much the 4g63 internals can take, but i do know the k series engines can handle a ton of abuse for what they are in stock form.

Now im going to admite, i dont know much at all about the 4g63 motors, and i havent researched them at all, but i do know they are a good motor, if your considering puting one in your honda, why not just put in a k20 and boost it? you could prolly have a boosted k20 for about 10 grand that will run 450whp on pump all day and 600whp on race gas for track days.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Trial User

Just a bit of reading for you guys. 4g63 powered crx
http://www.performancecar.co.nz/arti...nster-mash-138
Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96_civic_EX
For those who are saying that honda motors are weak and need to be built in order to make a lot of power their wrong...

First off, the 4g63 comes from the factory turboed so it should be able to handle more power in stock form than a honda motor..

Yet, stock block/head honda k series motors are making 600whp alllllll day long on E85 or race gas and 450-500 on pump, some 800+ on stock sleeves with just pistons/rods. Idk how much the 4g63 internals can take, but i do know the k series engines can handle a ton of abuse for what they are in stock form.

Now im going to admite, i dont know much at all about the 4g63 motors, and i havent researched them at all, but i do know they are a good motor, if your considering puting one in your honda, why not just put in a k20 and boost it? you could prolly have a boosted k20 for about 10 grand that will run 450whp on pump all day and 600whp on race gas for track days.

$10 grand you're insane! I bought a 90 eagle talon that ran consistant 12.1's for $4k. Now add another $6k in mods to that and I'd have a easy 9 second car I could drive on a daily basis, even in the snow since it was awd. $10k will not get you 450whp from a k series because you need to subtract the price for the car, swap, everything to go along with the swap, then the turbo set-up, fuel, tune, etc. After you buy the swap and everything to get it running in the car, there is no way you'll have enough left over to purchase aproper turbo/fuel setup capable of those numbers

And you're referring to record numbers for stock block k series engines. Those engines won't last more then 1 night at the track. 4g63 engines are closed decks, so there are no sleeves to worry about breaking. They are super stout engines. Plus you have to remember, the 4g63 engines everyone uses were made from 89-94. The newer of that bunch are still 16 years old turbo engines. I would love for someone to build a completely fresh oem dsm engine and see what it would be capable of.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doug118
$10 grand you're insane! I bought a 90 eagle talon that ran consistant 12.1's for $4k. Now add another $6k in mods to that and I'd have a easy 9 second car I could drive on a daily basis, even in the snow since it was awd. $10k will not get you 450whp from a k series because you need to subtract the price for the car, swap, everything to go along with the swap, then the turbo set-up, fuel, tune, etc. After you buy the swap and everything to get it running in the car, there is no way you'll have enough left over to purchase aproper turbo/fuel setup capable of those numbers

And you're referring to record numbers for stock block k series engines. Those engines won't last more then 1 night at the track. 4g63 engines are closed decks, so there are no sleeves to worry about breaking. They are super stout engines. Plus you have to remember, the 4g63 engines everyone uses were made from 89-94. The newer of that bunch are still 16 years old turbo engines. I would love for someone to build a completely fresh oem dsm engine and see what it would be capable of.
there has been a few stock block k's go 9's. one completely stock k20 pushing over 700 ran 9's. And those record numbers for stock block or stock sleeve k's are still running... as a matter of fact, the one with 800+ on stock sleeves has seen numerous dyno tune sessions, numerous track sessions,, and now its going back to shoot for 900+ still on stock sleeves. I have no doubt that the 4g63 are strong engines... becuase they should be. Any motor that comes stock from the factory with a turbo, should be strong and be able to last a while with some higher hp mods.

And thats cool you had a talon with a 4g63 for 4k, but im sure it would cost a lot more than 4k to put that motor in a civic.. If your gunna spend the time and money to put that motor in a civic, i would rather do a k. that and you can buy boosted kswapped cars making 400+ for 12g's if you dont wanna build your own.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doug118

The difference between 12.1 and 9s is the difference between jumping in the air on a trampoline and flying into space, theres a big difference, and 6K isn't the answer.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96_civic_EX
And thats cool you had a talon with a 4g63 for 4k, but im sure it would cost a lot more than 4k to put that motor in a civic.. If your gunna spend the time and money to put that motor in a civic, i would rather do a k. that and you can buy boosted kswapped cars making 400+ for 12g's if you dont wanna build your own.

It would cost very little if you fabricated it all yourself. you'd pay for the EMS and swap. and again, if you spent $12k on a complete car in the dsm world you would have a mid-high 9 second turn-key car. a 400whp awd dsm can be bought for around $5k
Old 08-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the only difference between a 400whp k, and a 700whp k, is ~20lbs of boost. meaning if you can buy a 400whp kswapped civic for 12 g, all you need to do is turn up the boost and you'll have 700, assuming it has the proper fuel setup needed along with a good tuner. That should be good for a 9 sec pass...

yeah i have no doubt that you can have a faster AWD dsm for cheaper. thats AWD vs FWD, its a lot easier to go faster and put power down. However, by putting the 4g63 motor in a civic, you still dont have AWD unless you go through all the trouble of modifying the chassi.

but you would need to pay for a lot more than just a swap and ems, you would still need to upgrade the fuel system, turbo, and probably a few other things as well as tuning if you want to make some good power.. You would also need to pay for the material to fab everything up, mounts, harnesses, hoses etc.. Im sure it would be a lot of work, and work that most people cant/wouldnt want to do.

Yeah you would have a strong motor, but personally i would rather just put a k in, even if it meant spending a little more $$ in the end. Plus your keeping the motor in the same family as the car

i dont want you to think im arguing with you over which motor is better because Im not bashing dsm's or the 4g63 in anyway. Im just trying to show the strength of the K also, along with my personal opinion of rather puting one in a civic instead of the 4g63
Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Trial User

As with any major engine swap, whether it be a k swap or 4g, there are so many little things that cannot be seen until you run into them, so its really impossible to say which will be cheaper, or better for that matter.

In the end, if you want to do a non straightforward engine swap, you need lots of time, patience, resources, money, and you really really need to want to do it... whatever the reasons may be.

If you want to put a 4g63 into your honda, then go for it. Don't listen to peanut gallery.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just for the cost of putting the 4g in a civic will just about equal the amount of a K swap and lets be honest, a K motor is much more advanced and is capable of the same amount of power a 4g is. And what is faster? A stock 4g swap in a civic or a stock K swap in a civic?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the main point of this thread was how to put the swap in a civic, not to discuss which motor is better than the other.so far i see no useful information giving
Old 09-19-2010, 05:53 AM
something different

give it some time..the thread has ONLY been around for half a decade.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

soooooooo........ has anyone actually found a build thread on how to do an awd 4g63 into a honda?????? just curious and I wanted to keep this thread immortal lol
Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there's an awd 4g63 civic around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GliWCdoC4GI
Old 02-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4g63-s2k
there's an awd 4g63 civic around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GliWCdoC4GI
im researching doing a awd swap on my ek using a smashed up evo4 , 3months or researching and still going strong lol
Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Trial User

To all of you that claim a K series engine is superior to a 4G63 is COMPLETELY oblivious; not to mention bias and needs to hop off the bandwagon and open his/her eyes.

A stock sleeve K series MAY handle 700hp with a little more boost. But there are stock block/crank 6 bolts making upwards of 1000hp with rods and pistons. That's just scratching the surface --

STOCK 6-bolg 4G's with bolt-on's and supporting mods can see 30 pounds and 500+ hp. Those of you that are saying "Well that's a waste of displacement." need's to realize that static compression plays a HUGE roll. Yes, a 11.5:1 K series is going to make X-amount of HP on X-amount of boost and it'll take X(2) to make the same power with 8.5:1 4G. Now bump the 4G compression up the 9.5:1 with the same boost -- watch that sexy DSM *** walk away.

Brent Rau's purpose built drag 2G Eclipse makes just shy of 1300HP on a stock block 2.3L stroker and Magnus internals. He ran 6.9's at 200mph.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone got info on how to actually do the swap? lol
Old 10-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by greyEG
anyone got info on how to actually do the swap? lol

Feel free to go through my Gallery, I also have more detailed picks of mounts and how the rear was done. I will try to dig them up but don't care to host them, feel free to pm me your email and I will email you what I can find.

http://www.tamparacing.com/gallery/s...cat/500/page/1

I parted that one out and sold the awd chasis to a friend, he's got it almost back together. I'm toying with building another one but a vx or cx eg and making it light where as the EK was still full interior,glass,doors etc and weighed in at 2600lbs. Still to heavy, the new goal will be 2200 complete. My Evo ix makes serious power but is to heavy which is a burden on the drive train as I just spent $5500 building both trans and t-case. I refuse to hack it up like a race car so another civic might be in my future.

The only thing with building a civic over the evo is that it will be a keeper as you will never get a 1/4 of the money back out of it.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 4g63 into civic, mods? (Louis53123)

It's not that bad we are in the process of doing this swap. Surprising the motor mounts mount up other than the transmission and we build a motor mount for it real quick and easy. Also I have been building dsms for years and crank walk happens in all cars. They did have a few issues in a few years but the 4g63t is one of the most customizable engines that can hold power. Some custom work goes into this but so far it's an easy swap to get mass horsepower. I'm not a huge Honda guy that's why we wanted the power train to be Mitsubishi and the platform for the Honda for a light car. As we build I will post photos or however to show what we had to do.

Originally Posted by wantboost
ok, first off. yes you can do it, but it isnt worth it. unless its just for sheer shock value when poopping the hood then dont even put the effort into. the money it would take could be better spent on the motor currently in the car. There are a few series for the eclipse. 6 bolt and the 7 bolt. With a little milling for the oil journals the 7 bolt is just as good as a 6 bolt. The heads to a 2nd Gen are amazing and Handel performance. Port and polish and it will flow amazingly. Easy hp is obtained with these engines that can be driven on a daily. Worth trying and I hope to see more builds like this.

wiring harness. you would have to use the dsm engine harness and the ecu harness. they have to run the motor either using the stock ecu or an aem ems, tmo ecu, etc. as far as running the stock dash, it isnt gonna happen. its gonna be an uatomoter gauge setup most like, (rpm, speed, fuel level, etc)

and the eclipse gst is fwd, the gsx is awd. converting the car to rwd would be a true waste of money and time. i have seen an awd integra from braille auto or whatever, it was ok but definitely not worth the money.

just keep your motor and build it. the heads on the 4g63 arent all that great to begin with and the older 7-bolt motors had bad problems with crank walk.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4g63 into civic, mods? (Louis53123)

Originally Posted by tjones208
It's not that bad we are in the process of doing this swap. Surprising the motor mounts mount up other than the transmission and we build a motor mount for it real quick and easy. Also I have been building dsms for years and crank walk happens in all cars. They did have a few issues in a few years but the 4g63t is one of the most customizable engines that can hold power. Some custom work goes into this but so far it's an easy swap to get mass horsepower. I'm not a huge Honda guy that's why we wanted the power train to be Mitsubishi and the platform for the Honda for a light car. As we build I will post photos or however to show what we had to do.
3yrs later, did anything ever come of this? I would love to see the finished product!
Old 03-04-2017, 01:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Stupid people with stupid ideas.