Notices

4 1/2" Angle Grinder ???s

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 1/2" Angle Grinder ???s

OK, so here I am buying tools as I need them for various projects and up next on the list came a 4 1/2" angle grinder. I intended to use it as a cutoff tool as well seeing as how the one for my 60gal. compressor takes too long. So I buy a Ryobi (I know but I really fit the budget at the time) and it comes with 2 grinding discs and a wire brush disc. I purchased a couple of cutoff wheels just to have some extra. So I get home ready to try out my new toy and the damn cut off wheels are too thin to be on the grinder!!!!!! They are about half as thick as they need to be. I'm asking for some advice here before I just use washers to make up that space.

I cannot seem to find anywhere a 4 1/2" cutoff tool/angle grinder anywhere....what does everyone else use?
Old 02-11-2005, 06:50 AM
H-T Administrator

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: 4 1/2" Angle Grinder ???s (SolObsession)

There is a big nut in the middle of the disk, that is used to hold the disc in place on the shaft. Turn the nut upside down, and it'll allow you to run the thinner disks.

Clayton
Old 02-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SolObsession &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I cannot seem to find anywhere a 4 1/2" cutoff tool/angle grinder anywhere....what does everyone else use? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I use the cheapest one I could find its lasted 2 years so far grinding and cutting all sorts of ****....best $40(canadian) ever spent.Looks similar to this
Old 02-11-2005, 07:03 AM
OG Fabricator

Default Re: 4 1/2" Angle Grinder ???s (essex)

I prefer the Dewalt DW402, or the Black and Decker equivalent...which is an EXACT copy. Buy whichever of the two is cheaper, as they're exactly the same, minus the color and stickers. ALL internals are identical.

Considering the durability, power, and price of these, they're hard to beat.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 4 1/2" Angle Grinder ???s (Engloid)

I have the craftsman one. http://www.craftsman.com , they make the 4 1/2 one
Old 02-11-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: 4 1/2" Angle Grinder ???s (90blackcrx)

I also use and like my Dewalt DW402 (I'd wish I'd have known that the B&D was the same model bfore I bought it).

I used to buy those cheap $10 grinders from Harbor Freight, but I went through them too quick.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:47 AM
OG Fabricator

Default Re: 4 1/2" Angle Grinder ???s (joeseph)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by joeseph &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also use and like my Dewalt DW402 (I'd wish I'd have known that the B&D was the same model bfore I bought it).

I used to buy those cheap $10 grinders from Harbor Freight, but I went through them too quick.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, I'm not exaggerating at all either. If you look at the recessed area where the stickers are on the outside, and other shapes, you will see that even the mold used is the same. B&D is owned by DeWalt, or vice versa, I forget. But, if you go to a service center and ask for a part for one, it's exactly the same part number as the other.

When I bought, I bought the DW...ONLY because it was about $10 cheaper on sale. I'd not pay even $1 more for one than the other based on brand, and I really don't care what color they are.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. I found some discs at Tractor Supply Co. that are thicker. The original discs were 1/16" and that is way thin....thats like for my air cutoff tool. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:53 PM
H-T Administrator

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: (SolObsession)

I'm telling ya man, flip that nut over, and the 1/16th disks will fit. and do the job faster. The thinner the cutting disk the faster it will cut through.

Clayton
Old 02-11-2005, 02:00 PM
OG Fabricator

Default Re: (Clayton)

oh, and word of safety..

USE A FACE SHIELD.

a cut off wheel that shatters can go through your jeans and gash your leg....so I'm sure it would do some serious damage if it hit you in the face.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (Engloid)

sounds like you speak from experience, Engloid
Old 02-11-2005, 02:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Engloid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I prefer the Dewalt DW402, or the Black and Decker equivalent...which is an EXACT copy. Buy whichever of the two is cheaper, as they're exactly the same, minus the color and stickers. ALL internals are identical.

Considering the durability, power, and price of these, they're hard to beat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

****** a right man lol.....thats what i got, the dw402 baby.....the thing is MEAN lol
Old 02-11-2005, 03:32 PM

just get a real one, 5" makita and nothing but.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wantboost)

listen to engloid he is not lying about the power of the disc . I had a friend who just about lost his arm above the wrist when a brand new sait grinding disc exploded 4 1/2 his arm will never be 100% again

A little over a month ago I had a 5" sanding disc ( not grinding disc ) explode
at about 12,000 of the 20,000+ that a 5" disc sander will spin at and I had to get 24 stitches in my forehead (7 inside and the rest out) Had my safety glasses shield might have helped it felt as though someone punched me and then there was nothing but blood I wouldn't get to carried away like the ******** on tv cutting everything with cutoff wheels and no guards one day there will be a tv show with some major bandages on one of them or probably a bystander DON"T under estimate the power of an exploding grinding disc the sanding disc hit me in the head if it would have hit me in the neck I may not have been so lucky like I said I had saftey glasses on so I would hope that they would have helped if I got it in the eye but it still would have been messy I have been using the tools since the 70's and this is the fist real problem I have had but I still consider myself very lucky that it wasn't spinning full speed and that it hit me in the forehead

good luck and don't be cheap because even the good stuff is sometimes not good enough
Old 02-11-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: (KFMRC)

I give another HELL YES to the dewalt.. Mine is ******* bulletproof! Its been thru over 100 disks and over an hour on at a time and its been flawless! truely a great product!
Old 02-11-2005, 06:39 PM
OG Fabricator

Default Re: (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like you speak from experience, Engloid</TD></TR></TABLE>
I've actually never been seriously hurt with a grinding wheel. I have had them break and smack my hand...but I wear gloves, so short pain was the extent of it.

I've seen them fly across the room on several occasions, but never been hit in a way that I was injured.

Another note...NEVER place your eyes in the same plane as the grinding disk...this is just asking for trouble. Oh, and a grinding disk can go through a fach shield...but it will absorb enough of the impact to save a lot of skin and medical bills.

And keys to the lifespan of a grinder: Don't allow grinding dust to get inside of them. Even if it doesn't blow it up, it can cause them to build up heat. Also, don't hold your hand over the air vents. Allow it to breathe. If it gets hot, stop and let it cool. I taught a class recently and the company wouldn't buy any grinders for quite some time.. so I took in a couple of mine. The guys (rookies) were so hard on them, and used them so much (12 welders using 2 grinders), that both grinders went bad. I fixed them, and they lasted another half day. By that point, I decided if the company didn't buy grinders, we'd just not be able to grind. They finally bought some grinders.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Engloid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I prefer the Dewalt DW402, or the Black and Decker equivalent...which is an EXACT copy. Buy whichever of the two is cheaper, as they're exactly the same, minus the color and stickers. ALL internals are identical.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its cuz b&d owns dewalt, dewalt is their professional lineup, majority of their stuff is differnt, the dewalt being much nicer, beefier and higher quality, but in rare instances (like this angle grinder) they use the same item badged differntly
Old 02-12-2005, 08:56 AM
OG Fabricator

Default Re: 4 1/2" Angle Grinder ???s (Sp00n'd Supra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Engloid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> B&D is owned by DeWalt, or vice versa, I forget. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sp00n’d Supra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its cuz b&d owns dewalt</TD></TR></TABLE>

Way to read the whole thread!!
Old 02-12-2005, 09:44 AM

I have a Ryobi, too. Same damn problem -- the thin cutoff wheels don't fit!!!!! Flipping nuts didn't work...

I ended up making a "washer" using a used-up center section from another cutting wheel.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: 4 1/2" Angle Grinder ???s (gpteitz)

that grinder right there, the 5 1/2" AC/DC angle grinder from makita is the best grinder you can buy, hands down.

http://www.makita.com/Tools_Item_View.asp?id=202

don't settle for anything less, trust me.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: 4 1/2" Angle Grinder ???s (cua0)

I hate those damn triggers, that's what I got the DeWalt. I like the paddle much more.