Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: FS/FT 2001 Honda Prelude 33k summer car

BaT gets another one
Old 01-25-2018, 03:11 AM
No Big Whoop

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BAT is the absolute best place to sell a car... and the worst place to buy one.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceballsthelunchbox
BAT is the absolute best place to sell a car... and the worst place to buy one.
I've never tried. What's the issue as a buyer? i've got a buddy flying out to pick up a GT3 he just won on BaT haha!
Old 01-26-2018, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
I've never tried. What's the issue as a buyer? i've got a buddy flying out to pick up a GT3 he just won on BaT haha!
There is no "issue" with buying on BaT.

I believe what he was getting at is that any vehicle on there generally goes for the very top of what the market is willing to pay at the time and bidding is generally very competitive. I bought in the winter so hopefully I can have it off my hands this summer as I really wont be using.

They charge you ~$100 to list your vehicle but the buyer pays the site 5% of the winning bid which can be substantial.

Lastly, when the bidding is over you are simply told the contact information of the buyer and he is given your contact info - That IS IT. It is entirely up to the buyer and seller to manage pickup, delivery, purchase, and sale. When you win the auction the only party getting paid is the website and he is not obligated to sell to you and you are not obligated to buy from him. This is actually outlined in their how it works section.

Technically the buyer could list his car, you could win it, and he could get an offer right before you come to get or fly out and sell it from under you (assuming you have not paid or signed anything yet), there is really nothing stopping that from happening to my knowledge.

If anyone is curious there are a few reviews and articles about buying and selling on BaT but overall it has a fantastic community and I highly recommend them.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for better weather.. even though it's snowing here today.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump. Pulling out of storage and starting to drive in the next few weeks so mileage will go up.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's always difficult to sell a car in this kind of condition at a price that would be fair or represent value to a new owner. Anyone can buy a beater Honda for next to nothing and then spend a lot more money just to fix it up mechanically. Beyond that, if you want to get rid of the normal rust problems, there's the expense of a ground up restoration, if you want a really nice car.

There will always be a market for some well kept older cars that eventually see their value increase after a certain period. A 2001 Honda has probably not quite yet reached that time period. At the same time, Blue Book used car values are for "normally used" cars and don't work for a rust free, low miles, good weather only, well maintained weekend toy that is nearly showroom fresh. Though not an exotic car, Honda's of this vintage are exceptional driving cars, and really a lot more fun on the road than the overweight internet connected versions what now come out of the factories.

I have an unmolested manual '93 Civic Coupe EX with the "O" package that has 1/2 the miles showing on the 2001 Prelude. I'm the original owner, and this 25 year old "antique" has been babied to the extreme. I've been testing the waters to sell it and see the same theme repeated that I see here in this thread. Most interested buyers want to buy it for daily driver duty and not as toy, so obviously it would likely end up a normal rusty beater. Basically it's more valuable to me than it would be to a new owner, if that's what the car is being bought for. I feel my car offers a unique driving experience in a time capsule (that's what my local Honda dealership calls it) that can not be easily duplicated, so I'd like to sell it to someone who can appreciate it the same way I do. I'm guessing that's not likely to easily happen, especially seeing the type of comments on a forum that's populated by Honda enthusiasts.

My advice to OP with the 2001 Prelude? Take your time. Wait for the right buyer. Don't worry what "Blue Book" says it's worth. As the few vintage Hondas of this era continue to rust away, it's likely that your Prelude will become a lot more appealing. I went on most of the for sale sites to see what was available and to get an idea what a Civic like mine would sell for. I didn't find one that would be close to comparable. The few Civic Coupes that I found were all very used up examples. Your Prelude and my Civic are in rare condition and are getting more rare each day. Have patience. I feel your pain.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ very well said. You could ask $50,000 for your car, if that's what you feel its worth. You just have to keep in mind that not everyone will feel the same way you do. If you're patient, someone that appreciates Preludes as much as you do will come along and give you what you're asking (or close to it). It is a beautiful car. I really like the SH models too. Anyway, dsolista definitely has the right idea and shed some good advice. GLWS OP! Its a very immaculate, clean car.

Thanks,

- DM