Notices
Vehicles for sale Post vehicles for sale only

CA 1988 Honda Civic CRX SI, CARB legal engine swap, CARB legal turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Honda Civic CRX SI, CARB legal engine swap, CARB legal turbo kit

A great car for street, strip, and track, often seen at Sacramento Raceway and Sonoma Raceway. It has a CARB sticker for 1.8 Integra motor and a rare Edelbrock turbo kit, CARB-legal for 1.8 Integras. Beautiful car – I get compliments on it everywhere I go.

This car was listed before on Honda-Tech with a higher price IT IS NOW LISTED ON EBAY WITH A $3900 STARTING PRICE FOR BIDS AND A VERY REASONABLE RESERVE PRICE. The buy-it-now price is $5900, and I will consider lower offers from Honda-Tech members.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Honda-CRX-SI/142956567124?hash=item2148e01a54:g:tyoAAOSwMWpbpVw a&vxp=mtr

The Ebay auction ends Sat. 10/6, 6 PM Pacific Time. But if you and I work out a deal I can probably cancel the Ebay auction.

ENGINE:1994 Acura LS, converted to obd-1. Hasport motor mounts and shift linkage. Garrett dual-ball-bearing turbo. B16 head ported by Larry Widmer of Endyn. High-lift forced induction Crower cam, made to Larry’s specs. Hondata S300 engine management with upgrades. Engine built and dyno-tuned by #Lawrencebuilt. JE forged pistons, Crower rods. Adjustable cam sprocket. Walbro 240 lph fuel pump. B & M adjustable fuel pressure regulator. 14# Odyssey battery, + a spare battery. Custom 3/4 size radiator by C&R of Indianapolis. Rare Moroso valve cover. Thermal 3 inch exhaust with a custom three-bolt setup for easily changing mufflers. I installed the turbocharger in 2012. Since then the car has passed smog checks more easily than in earlier years, when it was supercharged.

For racing, not currently installed: Injector Dynamics 725 cc injectors. Victor X intake manifold, ported and slightly modified to fit CRX, port-matched with Skunk2 throttle body. These are shown in a photo below. So the price includes two sets of injectors, two throttle bodies, and two intake manifolds. Decide which ones you want and sell the others.

DRIVELINE: 2001 Integra LS trans, purchased NEW in 2012, with a shorter 5th gear for high speed acceleration. Quaife torque-biasing differential for great handling. Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Competition Clutch stage IV with sprung hub. Drive Shaft Shop axles.

CHASSIS, SUSPENSION: Tokiko Illumina 5-way adjustable struts. Skunk II coilovers, Specialty Products camber correction kit, Neuspeed strut tower brace (not currently installed), Suspension Techniques front/rear sway bars, 89-91 rear lower control arms. Innovative front cross-member with traction bar for smooth launch, no wheel hop. Aero mods on underside rear.

INTERIOR: I bought new rear-interior components, never taken to races. (At races I use old interior pieces that snap out to save weight.) Roll bar from “Rolf by Design,” Sonoma Raceway. Boost gauge, water temp gauge, shift light, tach. Clifford alarm.

EXTERIOR:1990-91 front bumper. Projector headlights. Garaged since 2004, detailed regularly. Fiber Images carbon fiber hood. Ultra Carbon Fiber sunroof plug. Various lightening mods. Racing weight is 1938#, corner-weighted at Roger Kraus Racing, + about 40# for the roll bar. California car, no rust.

WHEELS/TIRES/BRAKES: Nearly-new Federal 185/55R/14 tires on stock CRX SI alloy rims (shown in photos of wheels). The photos of the car show the HX wheels that are currently on the car. If you want the HX’s instead of the CRX Si wheels, let me know and we can work something out. Stock ‘88 brakes, steel braided lines.

So you know: No a/c. Roll bar goes through rear speaker slots. Cold/heat dial needs repair, but the heater works. Paint isn’t perfect around sunroof plug (see photo). There are tiny chips on the windshield, as is common. I had one chip treated several years ago so it would not grow into a crack. Interior has minor wear, but very good for an ‘88. Sun damage to vinyl on inside top of R door (see photo). On long trips in summer the car runs hot but it’s fine around town. The engine was rebuilt in 2010 and there is some wear in the rings. But it doesn’t smoke, and my recent best-ever racing speeds show that it’s still very strong.

QUARTER-MILE: 12.1, 126.90 mph with cat + muffler, July 4, 2018, launching and shifting conservatively. Would run mid 11's if you launch and shift harder. The incredibly fast top end shocks other racers. STANDING HALF-MILE, October, 2016: 154.75. Very stable even at that speed. Watch the half mile run on YouTube:
. Dyno: 365 whp with cat + muffler @18 psi, April, 2018. Drag race video:
. (Sorry about the slow shifting on this video – I was testing a short shifter that didn’t work out. Now it shifts perfectly.)

This is one of the finest street-driven CRXs you’ll ever see. Note: The current smog check expires October 16. If I can’t sell it before that time, I may keep it for a while. That would enable me to sell it without rushing and get a better price. It doesn’t need another smog check till August, 2020, except that I will need a recent smog certificate when I sell it.

Payment: Buyer is responsible for sales tax, if any, and buyer will make arrangements for transporting the car and pay for transport. The pink slip will be signed over to you and the CRX will be available for delivery as soon as payment is confirmed. If you want to inspect the car and are unable to come here, I will take it to any repair shop within 20 miles of Fremont CA that you hire to make an inspection.

The pink slip transfer must be completed before the smog certificate runs out – October 16. After getting the pink slip you will then register the car in your name within the time limit required by your state. If you have any questions or concerns about payment just send me a message by Replying. My name is Chris.

Hmm. I tried to copy photos but could not. I had no trouble doing that when I posted this item on Honda-tech a few days ago, so I'll try again later. But if you go to the Ebay site you will see: right front, left rear, left side, right side, roof, trunk lid, interior, right door, left door, [<vice versa?] engine, CRX SI wheels, extra items included in price (intake manifold, throttle body, and injectors).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Honda-CRX-SI/142956567124?hash=item2148e01a54:g:tyoAAOSwMWpbpVw a&vxp=mtr

Last edited by rrrevs; 09-30-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:00 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Re: 1988 Honda Civic CRX SI, CARB legal engine swap, CARB legal turbo kit

That is a damn good deal at the BIN price. I wish I had the cash right now for a toy like this....
Old 10-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1988 Honda Civic CRX SI, CARB legal engine swap, CARB legal turbo kit

This is a cool car. But I'm not sure it's really carb legal with those engine modifications.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:36 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

It is. That’s what makes it a steal of a deal. All the work is already done.