Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Transmission damage from axle failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:20 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission damage from axle failure?

I took my 2005 Accord to a Honda dealership because it was vibrating (it would start at about 20-25 mph then it would stop at higher speeds). They said that I needed to have both front axles replaced. I chose to have aftermarket parts. The shaking continued, so I brought it back the following week. They said that the passenger side axle "failed" and they replaced it. The shaking still continued. I brought it back the following week and they said that they weren't really sure what was wrong. They said that using OEM parts might not solve the problem, and that it might be the transmission but they weren't sure. That was back in August. I started taking my car to another dealership. I paid to have them look at the axles that were installed and they said that they looked ok (weren't loose). I just got my car inspected and was told that the axle seal on the passenger side is leaking bad and they suggested I take it back to the other dealership. I did and they told me that I need a new transmission ($4,088). Is it possible the axle that "failed" caused the damage to my transmission?
Old 05-15-2015, 09:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Transmission damage from axle failure?

Is it shaking or is there a lot of noise coming from the tranny ? It's possible the axle seal leaking, caused all the transmission fluid to leak out which caused the bearings and internal components to go bad, which caused the tranny to need replacing. But just shaking alone really wouldn't necessarily point to the tranny being bad.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Trial User

I believe that it's just vibrating. The vibrating continued after they replaced the axles (even after replacing the axle that failed). I think I'm going to take it somewhere else and have them look at it.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever it is, don't pay thousands for a trans. Find an independent mechanic to install a used tranny from junkyard or craigslist.
Tranny can be had for as little as a few hundred and be perfectly ok.
Alot of Accords are gently driven compared to what some of us put stock trannys thru.
Removing and replacing isn't very bad... some people can do it in a couple hours.
You could replace the clutch while it's out, another couple hundred or so, price some online, Rock Auto, etc..
Old 05-23-2015, 03:54 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The axle seal may have failed due to bad differential bearings, it may have failed from someone disturbing an old hardened seal when removing and installing the new axle, or it may just have died of natural causes or even from a burr on the axle.

It's fairly common to have vibration issues when using aftermarket axle, sometimes you have to go through 4 or 5 of them before you get a good one. I generally prefer good used OEM since the price is reasonable compared to new OEM.

I would pull the axle seals and check to see if the there's play in the differential bearings and/or evidence of metal shavings in that area. If not I'd replace the axles again (preferably OEM) along with the seals and hope that fixes the problem. If not I'd pull the transmission, if it's a manual trans it's not an especially hard job to replace the differential bearings. If it's an automatic it requires some specialized dealership tools and should be completely disassembled to make sure no metal shavings end up in the valve body later. For this reason it's most likely going to be cheaper to install a used junkyard transmission.

Last edited by 94EG8; 05-25-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All of the wheels were confirmed to be balanced (ie. no missing weights)... right?