Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Transmission & Drivetrain (https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/)
-   -   Tranny Issue: Attention HondaBull and ALL tranny gurus (https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/tranny-issue-attention-hondabull-all-tranny-gurus-2645968/)

linkdeezie 09-14-2009 08:13 AM

Tranny Issue: Attention HondaBull and ALL tranny gurus

1 Attachment(s)
I've having some tranny issues and usually I'm very patient when it comes to building my car. But this has me stumped and im seeking help

Ive recently acquired a jdm type r lsd that im trying to install in my tranny. now 2 things i know:: 1 - that all b series hydro gears and interchangeable / and 2 - u have to use the gsr countershaft spline with the lsd due to pitch reasons.

herein lies the problem. i have what i believe is a gsr countershaft. it lines up perfectly with the lsd and the mainshaft sits nicely with this countershaft. HOWEVER, some of the gears from the countershaft do not agree with their counterparts on the main. 3rd and 5th gear. so i figure something is wrong and was going to change them. now ya have to use the gear from the countershaft and the gear from the mainshaft to make that ONE gear i.e. 4th or 5th to work. so when i took off the gears of the countershaft, i noticed the differently spline pattern on the shaft.

now the one on the right is supposedly the gsr countershaft and the one on the left is supposedly a b series hydro LS countershaft. the spline patterns are completely different, rendering the gears NON-interchangeable.

i need suggestions and confirmation on the years of these shafts please. I'm dying down here

Aquafina 09-14-2009 09:31 AM

Re: Tranny Issue: Attention HondaBull and ALL tranny gurus

What transmission do you have? What gear sets do you have?

If you have a GSR trans then keep the stock FD (countershaft and ring gear). If you have an LS or B16, then you need to use a complete MATCHING B18C final drive.

Countershaft on the left is GSR or B16. On the right is LS.

linkdeezie 09-14-2009 10:17 AM

ok so u say the one on the RIGHT is the LS? Odd...thats the one that mates up with lsd which, by the way, has the GSR ring gear on it. I have 4 countershaft splines from various transmissions. this one, the one on the RIGHT, is the ONLY one that meshes perfectly with the differential's ring gear. I would guess that the one on the right would be the gsr countershaft spline

Aquafina 09-14-2009 12:45 PM

Nope.

You need to use a matched ring gear and countershaft. If you don't have the matching countershaft then you need to buy a new one from Acura.

linkdeezie 09-14-2009 04:59 PM

understandable. but what im saying is that the ring gear and the countershaft on the right DO match...the countershaft on the left is from my LS, so the right one can't be from an LS. LS countershaft does NOT match up with the gsr/itr ring gear. so the one on the right CANNOT work, which it doesn't. What i dont understand is why they're physically different when they should be the same. I can't say 100 percent that the shaft on the right is from a gsr, but it DOES match the ring gear. are there any other countershafts out there besides the itr/gsr that match that 66-tooth ring gear??

Also, are the OBX countershafts that are sold on ebay and other websites comparable to the stock ones? I know obx is aka "oh we be junx", but does anyone have personal knowledge or have used one of these shafts and has it broken (yet) ?

Aquafina 09-14-2009 05:42 PM

It is a cable LS countershaft. 90-91, which were 4.40.

Don't use OBX.

Honda Bull 09-14-2009 07:37 PM

Left is hydro (non-LS if it matches up) countershaft. Right is cable (non 92-93) countershaft. Giveaways are the thicker splines for the lower gears and the divided 4-5 gear splines on the countershaft on the left.

And... uh... do what Aquafina said. lol He knows his stuff. :thumbs up:

linkdeezie 09-16-2009 08:37 AM

yeah but thats what has me puzzled Bull. The one on the RIGHT is the one that lines up!? the one on the left, wont

Honda Bull 09-16-2009 09:54 AM

Then it's a 4.266 LS countershaft. Both should have the same tooth count. I'm presuming it doesn't mate up because of tooth design?

linkdeezie 09-16-2009 04:58 PM

Right. It does not line up due to the pitch of the teeth on the countershaft where it mates up to the ring gear on the differential. and thats for the one on the LEFT, which is the hydro LS shaft, not gs-r or b16. The one on the right lines up perfectly and spins flawlessly with the JDM ITR diff.

IDK. all i know is that from researching the net and talking to people, the Integra Type R LSD can only fit a Integra Type R countershaft, and if you use it in a GS-R transmission, the ring gear from the GS-R as well as the countershaft will have to be used. The ring gear from a B16 transmission will NOT fit over the larger Integra VTEC tranny differential and nor will a LS ring gear and countershaft work with the JDM ITR LSD.

So if the countershaft on the right is a LS countershaft, like Aqua says it is, how is is that it mates with the JDM ITR LSD that I have??? Its confusing. I see only two ways that this could be. 1: its a jdm old school cable LS countershaft that somehow has the correct pitch to fit the JDM ITR LSD -or- 2: the USDM old school cable LS transmission countershaft has the same pitch that is needed to properly mate with a gsr/itr ring gear.

Either way, I need to secure a GS-R/Type R Hydro countershaft, thats for certain. But its just boggling that this countershaft goes against everything I've learned about Honda B series trannies (if it is truly a old school countershaft, like aqua says it is)

Aquafina 09-17-2009 03:50 AM

Tips to living better as tested by Aquafina

1. Buy new countershaft from Acura (or an aftermarket final drive).

2. Stop stressing and/or worrying about it.

3. Don't mix and match used gear sets (which the FD is), this way you don't have to worry about #2'ing what it came from or trying to match teeth.

#2 is the best thing ever. At one point in time I stressed over small stuff like this all the time and felt like I was an old-man-with-no-energy-who-is-driving-too-slow-and-getting-flipped-off-by-everyone-but-honk-at-an-empty-space-because-I-can't-reach-the-horn-button-in-time-to-honk-at-said-flipper-offers-due-to-arthritis.

Bense 08-02-2016 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by linkdeezie (Post 39959265)
I've having some tranny issues and usually I'm very patient when it comes to building my car. But this has me stumped and im seeking help

Ive recently acquired a jdm type r lsd that im trying to install in my tranny. now 2 things i know:: 1 - that all b series hydro gears and interchangeable / and 2 - u have to use the gsr countershaft spline with the lsd due to pitch reasons.

herein lies the problem. i have what i believe is a gsr countershaft. it lines up perfectly with the lsd and the mainshaft sits nicely with this countershaft. HOWEVER, some of the gears from the countershaft do not agree with their counterparts on the main. 3rd and 5th gear. so i figure something is wrong and was going to change them. now ya have to use the gear from the countershaft and the gear from the mainshaft to make that ONE gear i.e. 4th or 5th to work. so when i took off the gears of the countershaft, i noticed the differently spline pattern on the shaft.

now the one on the right is supposedly the gsr countershaft and the one on the left is supposedly a b series hydro LS countershaft. the spline patterns are completely different, rendering the gears NON-interchangeable.

i need suggestions and confirmation on the years of these shafts please. I'm dying down here

Here's my question. Does the countershaft 4th/5th gear from these 90-91 cable trans fit on the 94+ countershaft?

If so, then this might mean that the 90-91 cable LS 4th gear of 0.9666 could (in theory) be used as a 5th gear in a 94+ b-series trans by modifying the countershaft gear.

Bense 08-08-2016 12:41 AM

If the guy bought an LSD from a JDM type R, then what final drive is it going to be Aquafina?

Let's see, there were several LSD equipped models. All except the 98+ JDM Integra type R were 4.40

So if the guy has an LSD with a 4.40 ring gear, what countershaft/pinion do you think is going to match up with it? Probably ones that are 4.40.... Right?

So let's see.. He says he's got a hydro LS countershaft which doesn't fit (no surprise, since it's 4.2666 -- don't ya think that the reason the older cable countershaft mates with the ring gear might have to do with the fact that it's also 4.40 ?

Sheesh.

I know this was a while back, but still.

Aquafina 08-15-2016 08:37 AM

Why do you keep bumping old threads? Not just here but other forums as well.

It doesn't matter what he had, it was a non matching set. All he needed to do is what I said. Get a matching B18C FD, unbolt the ring gear from his newly acquired LSD, bolt on the newly acquired ring gear from the FD SET, and install the CS stack onto the newly acquired CS from the FD SET.

The 90-91 gears are not compatible with the 92+ parts with or without modification.

Bense 05-20-2017 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Aquafina (Post 51020392)
Why do you keep bumping old threads? Not just here but other forums as well.

It doesn't matter what he had, it was a non matching set. All he needed to do is what I said. Get a matching B18C FD, unbolt the ring gear from his newly acquired LSD, bolt on the newly acquired ring gear from the FD SET, and install the CS stack onto the newly acquired CS from the FD SET.

The 90-91 gears are not compatible with the 92+ parts with or without modification.

I stepped away from Honda tuning to go to school. Now I'm back. I have my reasons for asking.

linkdeezie 12-17-2018 10:13 AM

yeah didnt make sense to me either...but i just broke down and got a new shaft from honda and used the gs-r ring that i had on the diff and kept it moving...

Aquafina 01-01-2019 09:01 AM

Kudos for taking my advice and buying a new gear.

linkdeezie 02-01-2019 11:21 AM

still would have been nice to get the original shaft identified. could have been something ultra rare or even one of a kind... :drink:

Aquafina 02-04-2019 07:34 AM

No such thing with OEM B series.