Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

S4C Noise has me lost! Helpppp!

Old 11-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4C Noise has me lost! Helpppp!

Well hello there Honda-Tech... It's been awhile.
Anyway let me run by you guys what I've got going on.

B16a2/S4c from a 00 SI

The car makes a whirring/knocking noise at idle with the clutch out/engaged. Push the clutch in and it stops.

ISB right? Wrong. Took it off the engine put on a new ISB and mainshaft bearing. Noise is still there. I had every intention of replacing the throw out but was sold the incorrect one and had to put the old on back into play, but it didn't feel bad.

Fluid is good, seals are all new and good and it does some strange things that really confuse me. When there is any load on the motor the noise occurs for example if it's nighttime and I have the headlights on the knocking/whirring is present. If I turn the headlights off it will stop. If I turn the A/C noise appears and when it's off noise goes away.

If I start to shift it into a gear without the clutch the noise will disappear as it attempts to go into gear.

When I had the transmission apart nothing was huge on the magnets and most of the bearings looked fine, but I'm no mechanic.

I haven't checked the timing on the motor but it's advanced pretty far so I also thought it could be ping at idle? I dunno I'm lost here and don't want to keep throwing parts at it.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S4C Noise has me lost! Helpppp!

Maybe a video of the sound will hel . You'll hear me turn the lights off and the noise is reduced greatly then back on where it comes bac . Civic noise: http://youtu.be/ABQAxJM5f_0
Old 11-26-2014, 04:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You replaced the inboard and outboard mainshaft bearings ?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. I attached the only picture of the guts when I had it open. Soon as the clutch goes down it stops. If the idle changes it will "provoke" it and it will come and go randomly. If you try to lightly push a gear in while parked it stops when the transmission has "load" on it.

Pilot or throw out?

I didn't really pay much attention to the needle bearings on the counter because you don't hear much about those being replaced.
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2014, 02:42 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Both the pilot bearing and throwout bearing will make noise when the clutch pedal is pressed down if they are bad.

Honestly i cant really say what it could be but my only guess is that another bearing on the mainshaft is bad based on your gvien info.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Actually wait, does the noise you are hearing go away if you only take up the clutch pedal free play ? Im talking about the inch or so free play in the pedal ?
Old 11-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Actually wait, does the noise you are hearing go away if you only take up the clutch pedal free play ? Im talking about the inch or so free play in the pedal ?

No it goes away about half way into the clutch pedal travel. Here's a much better video of the noise from the bay. You'll notice it stops during the video and restarts. I believe related to a engine idle change triggers it to start and stop. It does not happen in gear or if it goes I can't hear it when moving.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did u check the clutch itself and all of its bolts ... I had that sound when one pressure plate bolt came loose ... The housing had a little damage from it
Old 11-30-2014, 09:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It actually sounds like something is loose inside the clutch area. If you don't torque everything down, a bolt can possibly come loose. You are supposed to use thread lock on the flywheel bolts however I have never used any and have never had anything come loose but I am sure to torque it exactly as you are supposed to.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well boys... I figured I'd change the fluid since it wasn't done since the bearing replacement. Went with Torco MTF and it went silent.

My observations were the Honda MTF that came out was fairly dark for the age (3500 miles) and it was a little over full.

2.3 qts of Torco and its slightly notchy when cold but butter when warmed up.

I'm not totally sure a overfilled situation would cause the noise and if not.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think u still have a problem and the new fluid is like throwing Lucas at a spin bearing
Old 12-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same exact issue. Its going into a transmission shop tomorrow for them to give me their insight...I will let you know what they find.
Mine is a 2001 GSR tranny
Old 12-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you use both shims on the mainshaft, hard to see them in the picture? Also did you check end play for the mainshaft?
Old 12-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PSI GUY
Did you use both shims on the mainshaft, hard to see them in the picture? Also did you check end play for the mainshaft?
Both shims when back exactly as before. I didn't check for any play I just replaced the isb and mainshaft bearing and also the mainshaft seal and axle seals. The noise is why I took it apart. I can only assume it's the counter shaft bearings.

This is the first transmission I've taken apart so I had a helms and HT and it went fairly well but excuse my ignorance. The other bearings I see inside the transmissions are the needle bearings inside of some of the gears. Do those fail? And if so what do you tend to get? Noise? Hard shifts?

I can tell you the Torco fluid is not nearly as smooth as when it was new. Honda MTF performed much better inside this particular transmission. Noise is still there but less noticeable.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact noise on my Si tranny. I took it apart, replaced the same bearings, back together with new Honda MTF and noise was there. I had a shop take a look at it and did not find anything abnormal...
Old 12-09-2014, 10:16 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I prefer slight overfills, esp. since most everything is splash lubed to begin with.