Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Reassembly: D16 s20 trans countershaft too short?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reassembly: D16 s20 trans countershaft too short?

My transmission case was leaking so I pulled it out to reapply the seal, but while I was there I figured I'd check my bearings so I pulled the shafts out. I found the countershaft bearing (one with the rollers) slightly raised so I tapped it back down. Now I'm reassembling it, it seems like it's too short to reach the c-clip. The c-clip now suddenly won't fit onto the groove on the bearing, it looks like it's 1/4 inch too short. Any ideas before I replace the whole trans?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Re: Reassembly: D16 s20 trans countershaft too short?

You have to lift it back into place in the case. If this doesn't work, try turning the transmission over and bouncing it gently over a 2x4 to "encourage" the bearing to snap back into the c-clip.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you mean by lift? Like pry the bearing upwards through the c clip hole?
Old 07-14-2018, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by weekendboost
What do you mean by lift? Like pry the bearing upwards through the c clip hole?
Yes, but be careful not to pry too hard because you may damage the trans case.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't pry. Flip the case over and lightly drop it onto a phone book. That will seat the shaft into the case and the snap ring will close.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aquafina
Don't pry. Flip the case over and lightly drop it onto a phone book. That will seat the shaft into the case and the snap ring will close.
I suggested that too I have run out of phone books, so I recommended a 2x4 instead though...
Old 07-20-2018, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've tried it all, didn't work so I picked up a used trans. I opened it just to see what went wrong and here's what I've found.

Used trans I picked up has the gears lined up pretty flush.

My original trans is off, counter shaft is pretty low which is probably why the c clip wouldn't lock on.

My original trans, the counter shaft bearing was walking out when I first found it, so I tapped it back in flush.

The used trans actually protrudes out a little bit which is probably why the gears are even.

So now my question is, how do I raise up the counter shaft bearing without destroying it?
Old 07-20-2018, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The counter-shaft clutch housing bearing has no effect on the installation height of the counter-shaft assembly. Counter-shaft positioning is directly indexed by the snap ring fitting in the upper bearing recess slot. This means that the base of the counter-shaft will not butt up to the face of the bearing... it simply rides inside it and has a small gap.

The "Trans God" (Aquafina) and I have told you what you need to do... if you cannot seat the counter-shaft into the snap ring, you might consider finding some professional help.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I flipped it over and the c clip actually got damaged, or was probably damaged from before so I'm going to try again with the spare one. One more question, so after reassembling everything I tried to run it through all the gears and all was fine except reverse. I had a really hard time trying to get it into reverse, even 5th went easy. Is it normally supposed to be that hard? It seems to go in fine if I leave the reverse change holder loose but as soon as I tighten it, it won't go into reverse. Is there a specific way to install it?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually it's alright, I think I'm gonna just stick with the used one I just picked up, I wanted to dissect it and figure out what was going on but it's becoming a pain. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The lower countershaft bearing should be flush with the case, if it walks out the transmission will pop out of 2nd gear. I usually stake them in place. As far as the upper countershaft bearing. The countershaft is essentially suspended by the snap ring. As far as reverse, it's very normal for it to be hard to shift into reverse when bench shifting.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
The lower countershaft bearing should be flush with the case, if it walks out the transmission will pop out of 2nd gear. I usually stake them in place. As far as the upper countershaft bearing. The countershaft is essentially suspended by the snap ring. As far as reverse, it's very normal for it to be hard to shift into reverse when bench shifting.
Just to update, I ended up swapping the trans and played with this one for a bit. The same day I actually found out the issues with everything.

For the issue with reverse being so hard to shift into, occasionally it was becoming hard to shift into other gears as well and the reason for that was because the interlock guide wasn't in. So it allowed the shifter guide to flop around and touch the diff gear. *face palm*

2nd problem with the gears not being flush, as well as the bearing. It was really hard to tell but I guess the synchros, gears and whatnot had separated slighty when I removed the shafts so I had to remove a couple, reinstall, and tap them back down.

3rd problem with the case not fitting even when hulk smashing on dirt, wood, gravel, banging with hammer, hrs of cursing and back aches, it turned out that I could've just let it sit the way it was and manually shift to 3rd gear and the whole thing would fall into place with the c clip and all.