Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Possible transmission problem? need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible transmission problem? need some advice

Hi everyone i am having some issues with my 2000 honda civic. Ive notcied that when the clutch pedal is out there is a noise coming from my transmission which i wouldnt say is completely a rattling noise but just sounds like an old car (which it is). So this led me to do some research which ive came to see may be a bearing in the transmission which seems to be an expensive repair because of the labor.

Now this sound isnt overly loud but is noticeable now that i recognized it and has me quite concerned. This is an older vehicle and cost me $1350 to buy and only has about 191 XXX KM on it so the engine should be in good condition. Is this a problem that i should address asap as my transmission may fail? or is this something i can let ride for a while because i dont want to be dishing out that kind of money on an older vehicle.

Also i havent noticed any performance issues what so ever but i am concerned that my transmission may fail which would be a huge problem.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Re: Possible transmission problem? need some advice

Yes, that bearing will eventually come apart. There will be debris that may or may not take out other components, and will fill oil passages and generally make a mess out of the inside of your trans. It most likely won't fail catastrophically, but the sooner you repair it the less chance of it damaging other parts.

The job really isn't hard to do yourself if you're attentive and have a place to work and a decent assortment of tools. I say learn up and go for it if you tend to have more time than money. There are plenty of DIYs floating around.