Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Possible Axle issue 2000 Civic Hatch w/ b18c-r

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible Axle issue 2000 Civic Hatch w/ b18c-r

Searched online for about two weeks before posting this - via google, honda-tech, superhonda and even non-honda forums.

Premise:
I recently swapped a b18c-r motor in my 2000 civic hatch. Decided to also upgrade suspension as well, shock, springs, and sway bars (for front sway bars, I changed the LCA and forks to an SI).

Symptom:
Slow moving forward or reverse with the steering wheel turned fully to the left or right causes a clunk. Soon as I hear the clunk, I stop and start to drive forward while straightening out the steering wheel. As it is straightening out, the cluck softens for a few more times before going away when the steering wheel is completely straight. I can drive forward or reverse, straight, without any clunking. I have not done any driving beyond pulling out the driveway and going about half a block from the house.

Suspension Items currently installed:
Koni Yellow struts, H&R springs, SI forks and SI LCAs (had a front SI sway bar but since removed to narrow done possible causes of my issue).

Things I have tried to fix the issue:
-Replaced both axles (made sure they were seated in the trans and half shaft)
-Replaced both lower ball joints
-Removed front sway bar

Things I checked/inspected:
Double checked the LCA bolts were tight, steering arm (forgot the mechanic name) that connects to the spindle bolts were tight, tugged on the wheel for any play, inspected the tire area when steering wheel is fully turned left and right for an obstruction, turned the steering wheel fully left and right at a stand-still for clunks or sounds (while on the ground), inspected the intermediate shaft and the axles for any play. After all the inspections, everything seems to be OK.

Things I will probably try to do next week:
Put back on all origin suspension parts (fork, lca, and spring/shock). I find it hard to believe that any of these parts would be the cause, but I'm desperate to get my car going so I'm willing to give this a shot.

I understand its difficult to try an diagnose this issue from reading a post, but if anyone has any ideas on other possible causes or things I can inspect or do or even a better search term before I take my car to a shop, I am all ears. Thanks.

NOTE: I am using axles from Auto-Zone for an GSR Acura Integra
Old 04-19-2018, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Possible Axle issue 2000 Civic Hatch w/ b18c-r

After months of fiddling around, turns out the clunking was from from an aftermarket LSD in the swap. To lessen the clunking noise I put in a bottle of Ford Friction Modifier with Redline MTL. The clunking completely goes away after a 5-10 minute drive.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Possible Axle issue 2000 Civic Hatch w/ b18c-r

Originally Posted by savannakhet
After months of fiddling around, turns out the clunking was from from an aftermarket LSD in the swap. To lessen the clunking noise I put in a bottle of Ford Friction Modifier with Redline MTL. The clunking completely goes away after a 5-10 minute drive.
did you check the clearance of the differential after installling the lsd ?