Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

P2T4 origin and info

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default P2T4 origin and info

The mid 90s was arguably the pinnacle of performance vehicle production for Honda motor co. With cars like the Civic SIR-II, Integra Type R, and the Mugen Prelude this is hard to debate, but who remembers the less popular big sports sedan of that era? The JDM Accord SIR from 94-96 is the one I am speaking of, packing the mighty h22a engine this sedan was a formidable grocery getter. This was the home of the P2T4 transmission.

Now in standard form it was offered with a non LSD P2T4 transmission, a low geared transmission designed to keep the engine in vtec when driving hard. It is said to have 5% shorter gears then any other H series trans offered but any attempts to find real info on the gear ratios has proved impossible as if there ever was any info of it online it has long since been taken down. Some speculate it is similar to the T2T4 but there is no evidence to support this what so ever and seems unlikely because the T2T4 was made for a lower tq 2.0l engine, the F20B. Now there was also a special order only variant offered by Honda with an optional factory LSD, these are actually the main focus of the write up.

Through some online searches I've found only a handful have made it to the US and only 3 of these I could find where LSD. A year ago on eBay while looking for a U2Q7 I stumbled upon a LSD P2T4 which at that time I knew nothing about. After swapping it into a 93 civic coupe with an H23A blue top I realized it had considerably shorter gears then the T2T4 I had in before it. Unfortunately this car is not running at the moment and I made no attempt to figure out the gearing, but when racing my friends JDM GSR swap we where shifting at near identical speeds, indicating much lower gears then most H trans, now is it infact shorter the the U2Q7 or T2W4? From driving them I'd say absolutely but until someone who has the LSD variant in a running car comes forward with some numbers or I fix mine and figure it out we won't know for sure.

Anyway, stay posted because I do plan to swap the P2 back into a prelude I'm building right now so I will update within a month or 2 if no one else comes forward with info by then.

Last edited by All motor Mike; 08-04-2018 at 12:53 PM.