Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Obd0 tranny in EG Speed sensor???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obd0 tranny in EG Speed sensor???????

So here's the deal came across this guy who doesn't know anything about cars or honda's to be exact. He has a 94 civic Hatch and let someone talked him into buying a b16. thing is that its a JDM b16a OBD0 he almost did the right thing and got has sport mounts but he had some dumb *** drop the motor for him and turns out he didn't have the right OBD0 tranny mount so this dumb *** just decided to cut the the factory mount on the car to relocate it to fit the OBD0 tranny. So here's the problem dont want to get into cutting and welding again so is there a way to hook up the obd1 electric speed sensor to the obd0 tranny???
Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Obd0 tranny in EG Speed sensor???????

swap out the cable speedo drive, insert OBD-2 VSS unit.

OBD-2 sender is smaller, easier to get around the mount.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool I was thinking something like that I will try that thanks
Old 03-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't start a thread yet but have Q's. I got a swap in my effect I paid a guy to do it cause idk how to do the dpfi to mpfi conversion he peiced my swap together its a first Gen b16a wit I think an old school skunk Mani some TB I've never heard of has HAD on it, a broken tps with only. 02volts at CT and 3.38volts at wot ,a cable Tranny wit s-1 .... and he says its a ls Tranny but the tag in front has new silicone like someone put it on to look like something else just to give an idea of what's going on now here's my issue my speedometer that's on it is is cable driven but has an oil in and oil out that he bridged together with fuel hose and a hose clamp on each side but when I'm driving it doesn't register properly I know I'm going about 80 and the speedometer says about 25 I need to know what to do about this I grabbed a vss from a 92 from my local junkyard and it looks the same as mine Im curious if there is something I'm missing and yes I and made sure I looked and the pin and knotch lined up I tried like three times and got the same response so got mad pulled the thing out and clipped it in before I put the vss back in and same **** so any advise would be appreciated me and a few homies are stumped on this one we even stole a vss from an 86 teg but it looked different lol so we tried that one too changed out the whole cable put in the one from the 86 and when we spin the gear out of the Tranny we got it up to to but out it in and nada lol so we put the one he gave me back in so now I'm here looking for help I tried to search forums but I'm new to this forum stuff so don't talk poo I don't really carefor that just need a lil help and direction to diagnosis oh yeah the guy who put it in avoids me like the plauge now cause he knows he did some shady **** lol
Old 03-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rastaross619
I can't start a thread yet but have Q's. I got a swap in my effect I paid a guy to do it cause idk how to do the dpfi to mpfi conversion he peiced my swap together its a first Gen b16a wit I think an old school skunk Mani some TB I've never heard of has HAD on it, a broken tps with only. 02volts at CT and 3.38volts at wot ,a cable Tranny wit s-1 .... and he says its a ls Tranny but the tag in front has new silicone like someone put it on to look like something else just to give an idea of what's going on now here's my issue my speedometer that's on it is is cable driven but has an oil in and oil out that he bridged together with fuel hose and a hose clamp on each side but when I'm driving it doesn't register properly I know I'm going about 80 and the speedometer says about 25 I need to know what to do about this I grabbed a vss from a 92 from my local junkyard and it looks the same as mine Im curious if there is something I'm missing and yes I and made sure I looked and the pin and knotch lined up I tried like three times and got the same response so got mad pulled the thing out and clipped it in before I put the vss back in and same **** so any advise would be appreciated me and a few homies are stumped on this one we even stole a vss from an 86 teg but it looked different lol so we tried that one too changed out the whole cable put in the one from the 86 and when we spin the gear out of the Tranny we got it up to to but out it in and nada lol so we put the one he gave me back in so now I'm here looking for help I tried to search forums but I'm new to this forum stuff so don't talk poo I don't really carefor that just need a lil help and direction to diagnosis oh yeah the guy who put it in avoids me like the plauge now cause he knows he did some shady **** lol
Yeah on my rex i just put those feed lines together and had no problem you might want to check your gauges get one from a junk yard and try to see if it help
Old 03-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Trial User

those z32s are pretty sweet eh?:]
Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by komoua406
Yeah on my rex i just put those feed lines together and had no problem you might want to check your gauges get one from a junk yard and try to see if it help
Old 03-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Those lines are are to restrict the flow of power steering fluid at higher speeds. IE variable power steering based on vehicle speed. They shouldn't have anything to do with the speedometer working or not working or showing the wrong speed.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the cluster is good it worked before he did my swap but i got it back and its shot out now lol the cluster is from the junkyard is it the length of the vss itself the one from the 86 was hella shorter than the one thats in there??? i just pocketed another from a 92 this weekend but i been busy haven been able to put it in yet do i need to put fluid in the vss before i bridge it? maybe it dried out??? pickings are slim at the junkyard right now there was no 91's there but i did manage to get everything i needed to do my rear disc conversion off the same 92 i took the vss from lol
Old 07-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Turns out it was the gear around the diff it was free spinning and put in diff from a Tammy lying around and it had a bad bearing #wasted time
Old 02-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Mista Bone
swap out the cable speedo drive, insert OBD-2 VSS unit.

OBD-2 sender is smaller, easier to get around the mount.
An obd2 vss from what transmission? I have the same problem as this guy and I would really appreciate your input. I have 94 civic with a b16 cable transmission.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Elias Esqueda

An obd2 vss from what transmission? I have the same problem as this guy and I would really appreciate your input. I have 94 civic with a b16 cable transmission.
Just install an OBD-1 electronic VSS sensor and plug it in. As long as you don't have some brand of clutch-type LSD installed, the gear on the factory VSS will meet the diff drive gear.