Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

No Blinking D4, No CEL. Transmission replaced, still slipping....

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Blinking D4, No CEL. Transmission replaced, still slipping....

I recently bought a 95 civic ex coupe, automatic, for pretty cheap but before I could really drive it on the road I had to fix some minor issues the were resolved with a new head gasket. So I finally took the little car for a drive and noticed the transmission doesnt put the power down the the ground as it should and the RPM's jump up between shifts but doesnt really grab. I could keep the RPM's at 5,000 but the car wouldnt speed up. The shifts themselves arent harsh or firm and if you manually shift it through the gears it shifts fine. Its only when its in D4 does it shift, or lack of shifting, weird, act up, will not bite or grip. So I proceeded to do a transmission flush with about 6 quarts of oil, hooked up a line to the coolant line coming from radiation the feed the oil back to the transmission. The oil was dirty not too bad but it did have some sparkle to it so I figured the clutch packs were toast so I proceeded to buy a low mile JDM transmission, the M24a to be exact. I also replaced the torque converter with the one that came with the JDM trans bolted it up, put 3 quarts of fluid in it and took the car for a test drive. Unfortunely, after all the sweat, blood and swearing, the issue still plagued me and the little red car. Im going to bench test the solenoid and check the OHM output, I honestly dont see this being the issue but you dont know until you check. For the same issue to be happening after changing out the worn part has me thinking it has something to do with the ECU but the lack of CEL or Blinking D4 has me perplexed and I dont really know much about Auto transmission issues since this is the first one ive owned. Thanks for any advice, flame, help you throwmy way.

-Travis

Last edited by eh2_Trav; 10-20-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No Blinking D4, No CEL. Transmission replaced, still slipping....

If this car were a accord the TCU would be externally located outside the ECU. But since this is not the case for 92-95 civics, the ecu is most likely the culprit. It was raining all weekend and super windy so Ill bench and test resistance of the solenoid and get back to the thread. If I am wrong about the TSU location for 92-00 civics, with the exception of the HX model, please feel free to correct me. Replacement ECU is in the mail.

Last edited by eh2_Trav; 10-23-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bench tested the solenoid and everything is good, ohm or resistance measurement was also in spec. Checked the connections and traced back the wire, nothing unusual that I can see. So....again........WHATS THE DEAL?! ECU should be here anyday now. Fingers crossed that this is the issue. Ill report back. Has anyone else had a automatic transmission issue and it ended up being the ECU was the culprit?

Travis
Old 10-27-2017, 10:27 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eh2_Trav
Bench tested the solenoid and everything is good, ohm or resistance measurement was also in spec. Checked the connections and traced back the wire, nothing unusual that I can see. So....again........WHATS THE DEAL?! ECU should be here anyday now. Fingers crossed that this is the issue. Ill report back. Has anyone else had a automatic transmission issue and it ended up being the ECU was the culprit?

Travis
Hey Travis, I’m wondering if this is mt issue. Please keep us updated.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:42 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Biggest problem with Honda ATs is there is no pan and the sump pickup gets clogged with junk, without normal fluid changes the sump becomes impacted with gunk.
If you have not, pull the drain plug and get as much gunk out of the sump. Don't flush or power pump AT fluid on these transmissions, they are more like MTs than typical ATs.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Biggest problem with Honda ATs is there is no pan and the sump pickup gets clogged with junk, without normal fluid changes the sump becomes impacted with gunk.
If you have not, pull the drain plug and get as much gunk out of the sump. Don't flush or power pump AT fluid on these transmissions, they are more like MTs than typical ATs.
Thanks for the advice. When I first got the car up and running the original trans slipped pretty bad so flushed fluid out and had a bunch of glittery stuff in the oil so I figured the clutch pack was toast. I found this odd since the car only has 106,XXX original miles on the car. Replaced it with a low milege trans and replaced the torque converter. Throwing new PCM in it tomorrow and will get back to the thread with results. NO CEL OR BLINKING D4 is what has me so confused
Old 10-31-2017, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I solved the problem. its completely my fault as to why this was happening. When I bought the car the guy took the manifold off when he tried to replace the headgasket. What he failed to do was hook the cable from the transmission to the throttle bodies. I guess the cable helps with oil pressure inside the transmission so I hooked up the cable and adjusted it and throttle cable to correct slack and bingo problem solved. I feel silly replacing the transmission but there was glitter in the oil so I feel somewhat justified in the purchase. Either way hope this helps anyone else out who hasn't really messed with automatic transmissions. PROBLEM SOLVED.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:16 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting a follow-up. I'm glad you got things resolved.