Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

New User - Interested in Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 07:17 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New User - Interested in Opinions

Good Morning,
New user here and was blown away by the knowledge shown by many regarding transmission and drivetrain on this site.
I would like to get opinions if you would regarding a single owner 2003 Pilot EX-L with 3.5-liter and 190,000 miles.

My wife was driving on the expressway approximately 60 to 65 mph when she was rear ended by another vehicle. She was not braking at the time. The individual quite literally drove into the rear of her Pilot. The vehicle had relatively minor body damage as the trailer hitch took the brunt of the collision and likely stopped further damage. Between the time of the incident and the time of the mechanical issue was approximately 1,100 miles of city driving.

The problem I currently have with this vehicle is that it starts and runs fine while in Park or if you quickly shift to Neutral. If you place the vehicle in Reverse or any forward gear the engine immediately stalls like the transmission is locked in gear. There are no DTC's set and there is no illuminated warning lights on the instrument panel. After some research I have come to believe that the impact of the collision may have exerted forces "backwards" through the drivetrain and damaged the torque converter. I have checked and confirmed that the TCC solenoid valve and the A/T clutch pressure control solenoids are not shot.

Would be grateful for any opinions on this subject as I will need to fight this issue with the insurance company on a fairly old vehicle.