Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Which axles for 400whp B series street car...

Old 03-08-2017, 06:07 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Which axles for 400whp B series street car...

I am pretty sure my vibration and noise issues are being caused by a bad passenger side CV axle. Here is my question before I order one to replace it...

I have heard of tons of people having issues with aftermarket upgraded axles such as Insane Shafts failing on them very quickly. I have also heard a lot of people having success on OEM axles with well over 400whp, especially if not launching on slicks etc.

I am only going to be street driving this car, and not even driving it hard at all until I get all the issues sorted out and get it retuned. Would I be alright running one of the $40 "OEM" axles from Rock Auto or something similar? I really, really do not want to drop several hundred dollars on axles that might fail anyway. At $40 I would almost rather think of them as a disposable item that may or may not last me a decent amount of time.

Anyone running Rock Auto axles with success at higher hp levels?

Thanks,
Old 03-08-2017, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Re: Which axles for 400whp B series street car...

If your asking for advice on which axles to use for 400whp I would suggest DSS 2.9 which meets that HP rating. If you only have $40 dollars to spend on axles just get the ones you are talking about.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:03 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I am asking more for advice on value over just price or just performance. I could buy any axles I wanted, just don't want to throw away money if it's not necessary. Also looking for any more opinions or experiences using OEM remakes.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
I guess I am asking more for advice on value over just price or just performance. I could buy any axles I wanted, just don't want to throw away money if it's not necessary. Also looking for any more opinions or experiences using OEM remakes.
I've ran after market OEM axles and they break even on stock HP levels. Real OEM Honda axles are pretty good and do well but again 400whp with potential street abuse, wheel hop etc. can tear those up as well. Now I spent the $800 dollars on DSS 2.9 axles and those lasted me from 2005 until 2016 when I upgraded to DSS 5.9 axles. The DSS 2.9 were run on my car making 800 plus WHP with 9 second passes. Over that 11 year time period I put about 60,000 miles or more on them and at least 200 plus passes with slicks and never broke.

So do you want to purchase a set of axles that cost more up front but can be used for street use, track use and over all abuse with no problems? Or buy cheap disposable axles that may do ok or not and have the risk of breaking them on the street and playing games.

So I guess it's what value you believe your time and cars time are worth? Honestly what's the point of having a 400whp car if you don't plan on running it hard here and there, especially if you say you can afford any type of axle.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I've ran after market OEM axles and they break even on stock HP levels. Real OEM Honda axles are pretty good and do well but again 400whp with potential street abuse, wheel hop etc. can tear those up as well. Now I spent the $800 dollars on DSS 2.9 axles and those lasted me from 2005 until 2016 when I upgraded to DSS 5.9 axles. The DSS 2.9 were run on my car making 800 plus WHP with 9 second passes. Over that 11 year time period I put about 60,000 miles or more on them and at least 200 plus passes with slicks and never broke.

So do you want to purchase a set of axles that cost more up front but can be used for street use, track use and over all abuse with no problems? Or buy cheap disposable axles that may do ok or not and have the risk of breaking them on the street and playing games.
This is the input I was looking for. If I go for DSS axles and can feel confident they will last me for years and handle abuse, then it is well worth the money to me. The reason I questioned it is that I've heard from some people that have spent hundreds on axles only to have them break (brands other than DSS), while OEM have worked just fine for other people.

I may pick up a cheap axle in the meantime just so I can drive the car around and sort out any other mechanical issues, but long term then yes I will plan on getting the proper parts for my build.

Thank you
Old 03-08-2017, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
This is the input I was looking for. If I go for DSS axles and can feel confident they will last me for years and handle abuse, then it is well worth the money to me. The reason I questioned it is that I've heard from some people that have spent hundreds on axles only to have them break (brands other than DSS), while OEM have worked just fine for other people.

I may pick up a cheap axle in the meantime just so I can drive the car around and sort out any other mechanical issues, but long term then yes I will plan on getting the proper parts for my build.

Thank you
No Problem, DSS is a little expensive but well worth it.