Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Transmission & Drivetrain (https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/)
-   -   Need help with 1989 prelude SI clutch (https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/need-help-1989-prelude-si-clutch-3334070/)

Scootin_Lude 02-19-2019 06:58 PM

Need help with 1989 prelude SI clutch

Clutch pedal loses pressure but not sure where or how. New master cylinder, slave cylinder, crush washers for the banjo bolt. Was leaking from the slave cylinder but new washers fixed that.=left
It held pressure without driving it for about a week but I then drove it a few miles only to have my clutch stick to the floor. Out of ideas but not done. Maybe something in the tranny isn't right? not sure. Shifted 1st-5th just fine when driving but then I slowed down to throw it into first and pull into the driveway and when I lifted my foot off the clutch it stayed down. Bleeding the clutch doesn't seem to do anything. Pump the pedal and nothing comes out when the bleeder valve is open. very strange. Help would be appreciated.

Swapped the motor for a lower mileage one and feel my error may have stemmed from that. Didn't put something back correctly, or something isn't as tight as it should be? Or maybe its a common issue and someone may be able to shine some light on the situation. Pretty much the only thing keeping me from driving it at the moment. Thanks again in advance.

motoxxxman 02-19-2019 08:51 PM

Re: Need help with 1989 prelude SI clutch

either the pushrod for the master isn't adjusted right, or there's a leak somewhere still. I'm guessing there's a leak somewhere, and you lost all the fluid in the reservoir.
There's nothing unique about the clutch systems in our cars, they're exactly the same as any other hydraulic clutch system.
Also, you shouldn't be pumping the pedal up and down with the bleeder open. All that does is suck air in through the bleeder.

it's a two person job to bleed the clutch:

pedal down and hold down, open bleeder, close bleeder.
lift pedal up.
push pedal down and hold down, open bleeder, close bleeder.
continue until no air comes out and fluid is clean. make sure the reservoir never drops below 1/4 full.

Scootin_Lude 02-20-2019 03:51 PM

I know how to bleed the clutch and that’s why I’m confused. I appreciate your input and will mess with a few more things and update he thread this weekend.

motoxxxman 02-20-2019 04:50 PM

chase the entire clutch line looking for leaks. usually when there's a leak it's because a line was overtightened and cracked the flare. Or simple corrosion of course. Check around the clutch damper, the black round thing on the passenger side above the trans. If theres going to be a leak due to corrosion, it's usually the damper itself or the lines right at the damper.

Scootin_Lude 02-20-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by motoxxxman (Post 51867496)
chase the entire clutch line looking for leaks. usually when there's a leak it's because a line was overtightened and cracked the flare. Or simple corrosion of course. Check around the clutch damper, the black round thing on the passenger side above the trans. If theres going to be a leak due to corrosion, it's usually the damper itself or the lines right at the damper.

Will check both this weekend. Definitely sounds plausible since I can’t seem to make any sense of it. Appreciate the input, will update the thread when more is done. Thanks again