Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

MFactory D Series LSD Review

Old 01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default MFactory D Series LSD Review

So here is my little review of the MFactory D Series (40mm) LSD.

This is the prototype unit that I inspected and am currently running in my 96 hatchback. Trans is a EX D16Z6 trans I rebuilt a couple months ago as a backup and decided to use for the testing.

Appearance of the diff is great, no visual defects.

Bearing hubs measured out at 40.00mm each. On an OBX I have (new) they measured 40.01mm and 40.02mm.

Runout on the MFactory LSD is .0005". On the OBX it is .005" (ok, but more than I like, and disappointing as OBX checked it before shipping it to me as it is a replacement for the OBX I had with .023" runout).

Ring gear bolts go in fine with no clearance issues, and no issues with a strandard 6 point deep socket clearing the housing.

Internals are clean of burrs and amazingly close in weight (1g). Everything was installed correctly and the case bolts were torqued correctly. Clearances are tight as is per usual with MFactory.

Some steps were taken to remove unneeded weight. Awaiting arrival of a new scale so I can weigh the OBX and Quaife without disassembling them. Total weight of the MFactory LSD is 4,766g, or 10.507 pounds. I'm having MFactory look into taking another step on the production units to save even more weight.

Install was uneventful. Speedo gear slid on fine, bearings pressed on fine, diff shim clearance was in spec. Axles even slid in and out just like stock.

Driving the car now is totally different. Noise free operation, and it works as an LSD should. I can turn in earlier and not understeer as with an open diff. Late turn ins, the car goes where I want it to. Just point and gas and the car remains neutral versus having to lift to get it to oversteer to overcome the understeer. I beat the crap out of it. Pounding it over "gators" as you would on track, putting one wheel off, 7,200 RPM clutch dumps, wheel hopping, everything.

To sum it up, this is as good as it gets for a D Series helical LSD IMO.

No 35mm D15 Quaife in these pics, still haven't even opened the box the replacement came in.

MFactory vs OBX

MFactory vs OBX 2

MFactory case removed

MFactory disassembled
Old 01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: MFactory D Series LSD Review

Nice! I'm definitely getting one of these units. How much weight do you think could be dropped if MFactory takes the "extra step"?
Old 01-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly I don't know. Maybe a 1/4 pound or so. I'll update the OP once I hear back if its doable or not and how much it will save.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:07 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your "pimp" hand is strong
Old 01-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome, i can't wait to get one for the H, i would have had it already but my cash flow seems to have stopped, but its fantastic to hear such a great review
Old 02-02-2009, 01:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen one in person as well and heard nothing but good things about them...very nice LSD!!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

15,000 miles on it and counting. Pulling the trans sometime in the next 2 weeks to put my close gear set in it as the "good trans" needs a lot of work. Road course review shortly after that.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tracked it last month at Autobahn Country Club, South Course. Night and day difference from no LSD. Worked flawlessly except for the few times I got it up on 2 wheels.

Turn in is much crisper and exit speeds are amazing. 25,xxx miles on it and no problems.