Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

manual tranny locking me out of 4th and 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual tranny locking me out of 4th and 5th gear

So recently I did an automatic to manual swap on m d16y7 and I put a d16y8 tranny... I drove it around for 4 days and it was driving good sooo I decide to take it out of town (only 20 minutes away) and like halfway to my destination 5th gear popped out on me, so I pushed it back in, i kept on driving and it did it again and then It locked me or if it, so I drove in 4th gear and then 4th popped out, then It locked me out of 4th when I tried to go into it again.... I tried flushing the fluid and putting more tranny fluid into it to see if that did anything but it just did the same thing... when I try to shift into 4th and 5th now, it’s just like if it stays in neutral, it looks like it’s in gear but it stays in neutral...... I’m just trying to figure out what it could be cause I have no idea, the car drove fine for those 4 days I drove it and i could get into those gears no problem.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: manual tranny locking me out of 4th and 5th gear

Originally Posted by David Lozano
So recently I did an automatic to manual swap on my d16y7 and I put a d16y8 tranny... I drove it around for 4 days and it was driving good sooo I decide to take it out of town (only 20 minutes away) and like halfway to my destination 5th gear popped out on me, so I pushed it back in, i kept on driving and it did it again and then It locked me out of it, so I drove in 4th gear and then 4th popped out, then It locked me out of 4th when I tried to go into it again.... I tried flushing the fluid and putting more tranny fluid into it to see if that did anything but it just did the same thing... when I try to shift into 4th and 5th now, it’s just like if it stays in neutral, it looks like it’s in gear but it stays in neutral...... I’m just trying to figure out what it could be cause I have no idea, the car drove fine for those 4 days I drove it and i could get into those gears no problem.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: manual tranny locking me out of 4th and 5th gear

The effects that you describe are typically caused by low/lack of trans fluid inside the transmission. Once the damage is done, new and proper fluid levels will NOT repair the transmission. Replace the trans with another used one or spend top dollar on repairing the one you have. When you open it up, chances are good that you will find nearly everything damaged. Good Luck.