Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Mainshaft spins both ways in reverse- normal?

Old 01-06-2018, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mainshaft spins both ways in reverse- normal?

Im on a 6th rebuild now for a new person; including my own i did a while back with no issues; but i tend to notice things eventually and grow paranoid... Something i noticed tonight... I got this new s40 trans all back together- it shifts into every gear with the actual linkage hooked up in living room- but i notice in reverse the input /mainshaft still spins both directions by hand. Shouldnt it only spin reverse direction??? and lock up the other direction? And if so what is wrong?

The input shaft spins forward and backwards in EVERY gear including reverse. IS this normal?
Old 01-07-2018, 01:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Mainshaft spins both ways in reverse- normal?

completely normal...you can take someone else's Honda and throw it up on jackstands and confirm it's the same
Old 01-07-2018, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. So every gear; the mainshaft should spin backwards and forwards while bench shifting? Or did you just mean reverse?

Is this because the crankshaft only goes one way so its irrelevant; when the trans is off the car; that every gear spins backwards and forwards mainshaft wise?
Old 01-07-2018, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 178 Likes on 151 Posts

So you've rebuilt 6 transmissions and haven't figured out the shafts spin both directions?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Answer: to clueless imbecile quick to jump to conclusions - I usually just bench shift and quickly check the mainshaft for play and that it turns. Could it BE that i one day realized they spin both directions and wasn't sure? Im so sorry just you're right and your info is stunning ! You probably took what the guy before you said and suddenly you're an internet expert on it. I have quite a few posts about building transmissions questions. I like how people like you are of no help just because you think you are above someone you dont even know. In real life you'd never even say such lame **** to my face, so why say it online? It isn't internet tough guy stuff; its just that you're simply parasitic and that you're a useless person who vents through the internet to irrelevant things you ASSUME. Your insecurity is strong in your post.

So can anyone confirm this ?

Thanks. So every gear; the mainshaft should spin backwards and forwards while bench shifting? Or did you just mean reverse?

Is this because the crankshaft only goes one way so its irrelevant; when the trans is off the car; that every gear spins backwards and forwards mainshaft wise?
Old 01-08-2018, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ignoring the garbage you posted, what would make you think the shafts can't spin both directions?

When the engine becomes the input rather than your hand, input only occurs in one direction. The mainshaft always spins the same direction when powered by the engine, reverse only changes the direction of the counter shaft.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I already asked that in my question which STILL makes you irrelevant.

THanks for the help the 2nd time. The first time was just ignorant assumption.

You are still lacking basic reading comprehension skills. Don't attack someone you thought would be subservient to your ignorance.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes you dumb ******* it's normal for both shafts to spin in any direction in any gear because there is nothing preventing then from doing so off the engine.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i can't say for certain why but it has to do with the differential and I've never taken apart a differential so I can't say for sure...standard differentials only transmit torque to the wheel with the least traction so it would appear this is related to that