Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

LS Transmission help

Old 05-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Transmission help

I just bought an LS transmission from a friend of mine.. It all looked pretty good except he told me that the 3rd and 4th syncro's were bad.. So I called everyone I knew to see how much it would be to get them fixed but no one works on 5 speed transmissions where I live.. So I found a tear down and rebuild post on here and I took matters into my own hands and tore it all down. I found out that the syncro's weren't bad at all.. The syncro spring that goes around the top on the syncro broke. So I put a new one on and put everything back on the correct way and everything went smoothly.. So we sealed it up and tried to shift through the gears (without fluid) and it locked up. I have a feeling that it may be the lower sleeve on the mainshaft where the shift fork assembly connects to.. But would that cause it to lock up? Please let me know of all other possibilities as to why it would be locked up.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS Transmission help

Take it apart and find out what the problem is, please post pics if you can.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have a copy of the factory service manual there are some clearances that you could check using feeler gauges and a micrometer. Worn sleeves, worn shift change holder, etc. might be the cause.

It might not be actually 'locked'. If you are using a screwdriver to shift it — keep in mind that it's not the same (less leverage) as opposed to shifting with the actual shifter and linkage. It may absolutely shift just fine after you install the trans back onto the car.

However, while it's out now, I would definitely re-open the trans and verify all the clearances. I have a PDF of the service manual if you need it. PM me your email address and I can send it to you.

Trying to help,
-Spiff
Old 06-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im on the same page as Spiff. try to get an old clutch disc that will fit and spint the transmission using that. It will give you a little more leverage. Hope you used some assembly lube.