Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Loud clicking / banging noise after transmission rebuild. I need some sugestions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud clicking / banging noise after transmission rebuild. I need some sugestions.

Hello everyone. I would greatly appreciate some input from some transmission experts. I rebuilt my K4F D-series transmission last week. It was my first time rebuilding a transmission. I followed a writeup I found on here. Everything shifted and spun good out of the car. I put it back in the car an started it up and it makes this really loud sound like a rod knocking. The engine runs great so I don't think it would be an actual rod knock. I have replaced clutches before so that process is not new to me. The clutch was replaced 2 years ago and worked fine before the rebuild. Trans shifts into any gear fine while this is going on. Sounds like its coming from the bell housing area. I removed the clutch dust cover incase it was rubbing something and it didn't fix it. I also removed the starter with the engine running to see if it was sticking but that didn't do it either. It sounds exactly like this video I found on another thread here. This guys issue ended up being a new pressure plate hitting the bell housing. I can't see that being an issue because I didn't touch the clutch or pressure plate. Here's the video
. I am going to remove the trans tomorrow to look for anything obvious. Any possible culprits to look for would be great. Thank you.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Loud clicking / banging noise after transmission rebuild. I need some sugestions.

omg turn it off
Old 04-19-2017, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loud clicking / banging noise after transmission rebuild. I need some sugestions.

The video is just one I found on You tube that sounds like my issue. Not my car.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok update for anyone that can help. Today I realized I didn't grease the throw out bearing shaft of shift fork. So I tried to grease them the best I could without removing the trans. I used high temp grease and a brush. It quieted it up a lot but not all together. Then I got the idea to push on the shift fork to engage the TB on the pressure plate, the noise got quieter. Then I adjusted all the freeplay out of the clutch pedal and now when clutch is in there is no noise but still noise when it's out. I decided to take it for a ride and see if maybe it would seat something. Good new is the transmission shifts beautifully. One of the best shifting transmissions I have ever driven. When I got back the noise was quieter. I kept it running and got a crow bar and forced the clutch form against the pressure plate. Noise completely stopped at idle. I depressed the clutch a few times and no noise. I then decided to loosen the clutch adjustment a little bit. Bang the noise is back. The TB didn't make noise before rebuild and is only 2 years old. I took video but when I upload them they are like 2 seconds long, useless. Any clue?
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2017, 12:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess is the clutch isn't fully aligned, allowing it to bang a bit. Also, you only need to grease the ball piece on the end of the slave cylinder where it meets the ball portion of the fork. When you pull the tranny you will need to look for any wear marks.

It's also possible that the torque sequence for the clutch assembly is not correct, creating warpage. This is one instance where you need to completely and totally follow torque specs and sequence to the T.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks I will definitely check that out when pulling the trans off. I will probably re-torque the pressure plate usung the centering tool just to be sure. Come to think about it it was unusually difficult to get the input shaft aligned and get the trans on. I will keep it updated. Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ89999
Thanks I will definitely check that out when pulling the trans off. I will probably re-torque the pressure plate usung the centering tool just to be sure. Come to think about it it was unusually difficult to get the input shaft aligned and get the trans on. I will keep it updated. Thanks again.
Let the dowel pins work for you. If you bend them use new ones. The best way to do it is one guy on top to push it together while another underneath to lift it into position and line it up.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I did have to grind down a dowel and I was by my self so it was a struggle. I kind of just lifted it onto place from above and jammed it in.. Well the new parts will be here Thursday. Hopefully everything goes smooth this time. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I did have to grind down a dowel and I was by my self so it was a struggle. I kind of just lifted it onto place from above and jammed it in.. Well the new parts will be here Thursday. Hopefully everything goes smooth this time. Thanks.
Ok guys here's an update. I pulled the tranny off and this is what I saw to be making that noise. It's a hex plug that screws into the bellhousing. It's hitting the pressure plate. Any ideas?
Old 04-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys here's an update. I pulled the tranny off and this is what I saw to be making that noise. It's a hex plug that screws into the bellhousing. It's hitting the pressure plate. Found out I put a washer behind it that's not supposed to be there. Stupid mistake.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Use sealant on that interlock guide bolt.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aquafina
Use sealant on that interlock guide bolt.
I know you already answered on D series but hey thanks again! Lol