Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

How to keep transmission cool in traffic?

Old 09-19-2017, 07:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to keep transmission cool in traffic?

I have a Mishimoto racing radiator in my 05 Civic, so I don't have the factory cooler in the radiator. I bought a Hayden 679 oil cooler for the transmission and installed it. My concern is that it might not cool enough without good airflow, like in in traffic. I plan to to install a fan switch like this one:
Amazon Amazon
I would connect the fan switch wires to the radiator fan switch wires so the cooling fans would come on when the transmission heats up to pull air through the oil cooler when I am in traffic or driving slowly, when the cooler may not otherwise get enough airflow. Would that work, or would I need to install a small fan on the oil cooler to keep the transmission cool in traffic? I could also shift to Neutral when I am sitting still if that would help to keep the transmission cooler. What do you think?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: How to keep transmission cool in traffic?

Heh. You don't need anything like that for street use, man. Seriously. It's not necessary at all. You've got way too much on your mind for the simple designs that Honda has already designed and worked.

Oh wait.. Aren't you towing a heavy load while in traffic?

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...i-tow-3304891/
Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

So let me get this straight, ordering a transmission cooler and trying to mock up a fan and a switch is easier and cheaper than just renting a Uhaul or properly transporting your stuff?

I mean, do what you gotta do man but you're going to have a rough time trying to move that much weight around. Your axles, trans, and rear suspension are in 0 way designed for that.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chance EG
So let me get this straight, ordering a transmission cooler and trying to mock up a fan and a switch is easier and cheaper than just renting a Uhaul or properly transporting your stuff?

I mean, do what you gotta do man but you're going to have a rough time trying to move that much weight around. Your axles, trans, and rear suspension are in 0 way designed for that.
I would have to figure out how to keep the transmission cool in traffic either way weather I pull a trailer or not. The transmission will be making heat when idling in gear as the torque converter is slipping and the transmission will not be cooled without airflow through the cooler, and will therefore get hotter and hotter until I get moving so there is airflow through the cooler. The transmission will make the same amount of heat while idling in gear weather the car has a trailer connected to it or not.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:07 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Heh. You don't need anything like that for street use, man. Seriously. It's not necessary at all. You've got way too much on your mind for the simple designs that Honda has already designed and worked.

Oh wait.. Aren't you towing a heavy load while in traffic?

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...i-tow-3304891/
Dont forget about his upgrading brakes question thread