Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Honda Del Sol Grinding when accelerating!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Del Sol Grinding when accelerating!

Hello everyone, I have a 1994 Honda Del Sol Si with the D16Z6 and S20 Trans. I just replaced my transmission with a new-used transmission from a different civic. I also replaced the clutch and pressure plate with an OEM replacement from Exedy, and replaced the throwout bearing and rear main seal, as well as the pilot bearing on the flywheel. I filled the transmission with Genuine Honda MTF and it shifts very well through all the gears and does not pop out of gear. When I am accelerating, especially in first and second, as well as a little in third, I hear an odd metallic grinding or clicking sound.

I have a video of it and you can see it starts right at 2500 RPM in 2nd gear. After driving around for about 15 mins, it changed to where it would make that noise through the entire first gear, and not at all in second. It seems to fluctuate, sometimes it doesn't start until 3500 RPM.

By the way, it does not make this noise when coasting or in neutral, only when I am accelerating. It is most noticeable in 1st and 2nd and partly in 3rd. I am sure the wind noise might just mask it at higher speeds. Could this be an axle, or the transmission itself? It did not make this noise before when accelerating, and the only pieces I removed were front end pieces like the axles, tie rod ends, and lower ball joint.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Honda Del Sol Grinding when accelerating!

Anyone?
Old 06-07-2019, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Sounds like you bought a bad used transmission. Either roll the dice again and buy another used one (and hope it works properly), or spend the $$$ to fix it even though this option may be more expensive than purchasing a used one... at least you know exactly what you have then.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Transmission needs to be rebuilt.